Cayman S 987.2 Lowering (PASM)

Reviving and old thread here.

When I find myself a Gen2 I will definitely be lowering the car.

Is there any issue doing this with Pasm equipped cars??

Cheers

Matt

Depends how you’re going to do it.  Buy some cheap springs and retain the existing dampers or rip it all out and invest in some decent gear.   

It’s perfectly do-able either way but I wouldn’t be happy running PASM dampers with the wrong springs.  

Have a look on design911 at the suspension prices. PASM which is Bilstein is usually more expensive to replace or upgrade. But I think you can get resistors to deactivate it and fit normal suspension.

Not worth paying more for a car with PASM if you're going to rip it out.

Actually with lowering I was wrong, makes no difference with a PASM car, as you're only changing the springs.

H&R springs £251

https://www.design911shop.com/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-987C-MKII-29L-2009--/H-R-Lowering-Springs-for-Porsche/pt65_236_-cma81-cmo121-ct1376/

I will have completed this by the end of next week. Have a 2009 Gen 2 Cayman S with 30k on the clock and PASM.  Have bought a set of H&R springs (35mm drop) Being fitted a Friday or Saturday. Will report back. 

Ok thanks guys.

I was only thinking of the H and R springs to start with.

MiloD I will be really interested to hear how you get on.

I hope the car works out for you. I was really tempted to go and look at your red one.

Also best to drive it for a few months before you start modifying it, especially if it has a warranty, as they probably won't pay out if you've had lots of work done, they will blame that.

More than happy with my Eibach pro kit springs that went straight on with the existing PASM set up. Am sure not in the same league as a full fat coil overs revamp, but still a material improvement all around

On 28/07/2020 at 20:49, eponymoose said:

Cayman R springs are another option and the one I would favour.

Cayman R springs are as low as you can go without running into Geometry issues. Which isn't to say the H&R springs are a disaster. But I think the R springs are a better compromise unless you mainly want it to look low and are less concerned with the dynamics.

Are you aware of anywhere selling cayman R springs, other than an OPC obviously? Are the R springs the same as the 987 spyder (or thereabouts)?

cheers

Eurospares have then listed on their website for about 450 quid. It's pricey but like the above, it feels like the best compromise. 

When I finally build up the motivation, I'll be fitting b8s with r springs (I have the shocks sat gathering dust in my shed) 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Eurospares have then listed on their website for about 450 quid. It's pricey but like the above, it feels like the best compromise. 

I’ve never heard of this site before but I love the way it’s part catalogue is presented. 

some very sad looking super/hyper cars in the breaking for spares section - I don’t fancy the chances of some of the occupants at the time of collision looking at the state of some of the cars 😟😔

I added the R springs to a basket and they came to £411. 

id be very interested to hear your thoughts after teaming up the R springs with the bilstein B8 sport damper. 

I think this would be a good compromise of road ride comfort and fast road / track handling + a much better slightly lower stance of the car🤔👍🏻

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

I’ve never heard of this site before but I love the way it’s part catalogue is presented. 

some very sad looking super/hyper cars in the breaking for spares section - I don’t fancy the chances of some of the occupants at the time of collision looking at the state of some of the cars 😟😔

I added the R springs to a basket and they came to £411. 

id be very interested to hear your thoughts after teaming up the R springs with the bilstein B8 sport damper. 

I think this would be a good compromise of road ride comfort and fast road / track handling + a much better slightly lower stance of the car🤔👍🏻

Yeah I hadn't heard of them either but went ahead and ordered various parts from them. The service was excellent, parts arrived really quickly, and the prices felt about right (I cross checked a few things with a local OPC and they were pretty similar). 

I'll let you know how I get on with that setup but it'll probably be a few months before I get round to it

• Thanks 1

That's really great news. I think the car looks fabulous.

The 20mm drop makes total sense as the PASM cars are 10mil lower already I believe?

Perhaps you have 5mil of settling to go?

Good luck with the car.

Matt