Cayman R Chat

anyone had a spyder wheel refurbished?  My left rear took a scrape along a high kerb when some pr*ck in a lorry decided he didn't have to wait behind a parked car to let me through and forced me over onto the kerbing to avoid a collision. Now the nice lighter outer band looks rough. :(  I am in north Kent near Brands Hatch

• Founder
4 hours ago, MJ said:

anyone had a spyder wheel refurbished?  My left rear took a scrape along a high kerb when some pr*ck in a lorry decided he didn't have to wait behind a parked car to let me through and forced me over onto the kerbing to avoid a collision. Now the nice lighter outer band looks rough. :(  I am in north Kent near Brands Hatch

What an arse!!! 

Black with silver rim or completely silver?

4 hours ago, MJ said:

Although I have not had the need for a wheel refurb company, I have done a bit of research.

These guys look like the company I would choose...

http://www.exelwheels.co.uk/default.html

Black with silver rim.

Thanks for the contact, hopefully I can courier them the wheel and get it sorted. Looks ugly with the silver band interrupted. :(

I think Excel wheels use Lepsons who are based in Gillingham for the refurbs. This does not detract from the excellent services they offer around the refurb like wheel loan but I notice you are in Kent anyway so it might be just as easy for you to take it there directly. 

• Like 1

didn't know that! very useful thanks. Lepsons have a good reputation too.

Will take a before and after pic when I get it sorted and post on here, for future reference.

• 1 month later...

Chaps, what do you think of this Cayman R:

http://www.cameronsportscars.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-Cayman-U523/

Had a quick look at it yesterday.  It's a well specced manual - if anything, possibly too well specced for me with those PCCBs (I'd be paranoid about damaging them at £2K per corner apparently).  It does have bi-xenons which are very high on my list, plus PCE, Sport Chrono, PCM, Bose, Climate and a few other options, though not Leather dash.

Any views?  Is it priced right at £45k with that spec and mileage (31K)?

Edited by Woodhouse

3 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

Had a quick look at it yesterday.  It's a well specced manual - if anything, possibly too well specced for me with those PCCBs (I'd be paranoid about damaging them at £2K per corner apparently).  It does have bi-xenons which are very high on my list, plus PCE, Sport Chrono, PCM, Bose, Climate and a few other options, though not Leather dash.

Remember you can retrofit steel disks, there are a few aftermarket alternatives. Would still better than the standard steel with smaller calipers (i assume) and you can keep the existing PCCB ones stored away to refit when you sell on? Very easy to swap.

just a thought

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

This is the very car that had me at "hello"!! I went with HighwayStar to collect his 981 PCS in April 2016 and saw this there. From that point forward it was a mission to get into a PCR. Back then, it had 29k miles and was on for the same price. I was only put off by the PCCB's as they go beyond my comfort (ie income) to replace them. That said, I have a mild pang of regret and think I may have been worrying about nothing. It's a fantastic spec car, a year ago it was in fantastic condition, it gets used (which for me is a bonus) rather than left standing but I think it will have 5 owners under its belt now (mine has 4 so it's not a massive issue as these cars do change hands pretty often). There are steel disks that can be had in replacement of the ceramics, and you have those massive yellow callipers.  Go drive it, then decide. It's not far from you so worth a "proper" look-see.

• Like 1

Of course, someone out there might have the PCCB's off you if you were inclined to sell them ?

• Like 1

• Founder
8 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

If you're after a CR then mine is up for sale now.  

sad to see, what made you sell it Beanoir? getting a GT4 ?  ;)

I keep wondering if I should sell mine before I put too many miles on it. I hate even thinking like that as I have never let concerns over mileage and worth get in the way of enjoying a car to the full, but I have got 37k on mine now. Should I sell it before 40k or just enjoy it for as long as I want...tough call.  Its only that its a rare R that creates the thought process, I wouldn't care if just a regular S etc.

I still have an Aston itch to scratch even though I am sure it would be disappointing compared to the CR overall.

• Founder
6 hours ago, MJ said:

sad to see, what made you sell it Beanoir? getting a GT4 ?  ;)

I keep wondering if I should sell mine before I put too many miles on it. I hate even thinking like that as I have never let concerns over mileage and worth get in the way of enjoying a car to the full, but I have got 37k on mine now. Should I sell it before 40k or just enjoy it for as long as I want...tough call.  Its only that its a rare R that creates the thought process, I wouldn't care if just a regular S etc.

I still have an Aston itch to scratch even though I am sure it would be disappointing compared to the CR overall.

I know, i'm gutted to be honest.  I had to turn it in to bricks and mortar  

All is not lost however, I am already planning a new Cayman project - I think the R can be bettered, or at least i'm going to attempt to prove to myself either way!  I'll keep a project thread on here so watch this space!  

I was never afraid to use the R but it was never a daily, had many fun European trips and stuff in the car though, some good times.  I think what I was most afraid to do was make any significant modifications to it aside from geo/spacers/exhaust.  So hence why i'm quite looking forward to a car I can do some bits to.  

• Like 1

On 23/06/2017 at 16:29, Beanoir said:

Well...

Here she is, sale advert for my CR :(  

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/sales/vehicle/cayman-r-2/

Is that on a sale or return basis? I'm trying to work out if the hassle and time to sell is worth the possibility of a few extra quid 

• Founder
46 minutes ago, Porker said:

Is that on a sale or return basis? I'm trying to work out if the hassle and time to sell is worth the possibility of a few extra quid 

Been quite painless actually and haven't had to worry, certainly worth the extra few £k I got from going that route. 

13 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Been quite painless actually and haven't had to worry, certainly worth the extra few £k I got from going that route. 

Excellent, I'll bare that in mind. Mine is for sale in about 18months, after its next service. Love the car, its been an ambition since i was a snot nosed kid. I live in london and only do a few K a year so may trade down to something more sensible. All part of my early retirement plan! May go the hot hatch route.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:46, Beanoir said:

.  I think what I was most afraid to do was make any significant modifications to it aside from geo/spacers/exhaust.  So hence why i'm quite looking forward to a car I can do some bits to.  

know what you mean. My original intention was to buy a Cayman Sport (in Orange!) and modify it to my hearts content, until I discovered the CR in various youtube vids and that intoxicating gt3 howl ...then I couldn't think of anything other than getting one!  I love it but am wary of tweaking it from stock. I still have my old 911 for modifications anyway so that satisfies the tinkering craving on the whole.

Did stick a set of (non Porsche approved...rolls-eyes) Michelin MPS4's on the CR the other week, great tyres! Though should be at that price.