Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

10 minutes ago, Blissya said:

This seems to have some well thought through and tasteful improvements 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194237921437 

I think that belongs to somebody who posts on Pistonheads. It looks like a decent car to me with a lot of well thought out mods (although I'd have to ditch the decals!).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blissya said:

Posted on here too 😊, it (currently) belongs to @crafty1 and I agree that it is a lovely one if you're after a road and track machine! 

• Like 1

very nice indeed. If the seller is looking in, I'm not sure how wise it is to display your full name, full address and some bank details in the auction pics. 

Edited by Julian987
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Blissya said:

With the general 'mental' R market there's lots to like about that modded S.

Interesting with all those mods (LSD, etc) that the owner didn't put an engine map on it. Livens up the midrange and with the LSD makes it even more driveable on the throttle in corners.

Edited by Andyoz
  • Like 1

Hi chaps. Been a while. I'm still looking for my Cayman!

Going to see one tomorrow. A private sale 2009 S with 59k on it.

I haven't bought private for years - what's the protocol/process for a safe transaction (for both parties)? Order of play: deposit to hold, written receipt, full payment, written receipt, relevant part of V5 doc and handover of car. The payment and getting the car is the scary part. Ever the pessimist me!

Sorry if this is a daft question!

Edited by Stumac62

37 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

I haven't bought private for years - what's the protocol/process for a safe transaction (for both parties)? Order of play: deposit to hold, written receipt, full payment, written receipt, relevant part of V5 doc and handover of car. The payment and getting the car is the scary part. Ever the pessimist me!

I'll be in the same boat as you soon (hopefully). I assume that you'll be buying from the registered keeper and viewing at the address on the V5. At viewings, I've asked to see their driving license as proof of ID to match with the V5. For the deposit I paid recently, the seller was happy to show me a bank statement with his details on. Maybe I'm just a bit OTT but it's ultimately a lot of money to transferring! Beyond that, my plan for a private sale would be to have seller initiate the V5 transfer online rather than send off the paperwork and I'd pay via CHAPS transfer (unless they banked at the same bank as me).

4 hours ago, Ginginho said:

I'll be in the same boat as you soon (hopefully). I assume that you'll be buying from the registered keeper and viewing at the address on the V5. At viewings, I've asked to see their driving license as proof of ID to match with the V5. For the deposit I paid recently, the seller was happy to show me a bank statement with his details on. Maybe I'm just a bit OTT but it's ultimately a lot of money to transferring! Beyond that, my plan for a private sale would be to have seller initiate the V5 transfer online rather than send off the paperwork and I'd pay via CHAPS transfer (unless they banked at the same bank as me).

Hi. Thanks for that info, I hadn't thought about the online V5 transfer! Do you mean you watched him do it online?

What if not taking the car away after the viewing/test drive? Just pay deposit and wait until day of pick-up to pay the balance? Should we sign something to confirm the transaction?

Cheers, Stu.

5 hours ago, Stumac62 said:

Hi. Thanks for that info, I hadn't thought about the online V5 transfer! Do you mean you watched him do it online?

What if not taking the car away after the viewing/test drive? Just pay deposit and wait until day of pick-up to pay the balance? Should we sign something to confirm the transaction?

Cheers, Stu.

We would have done the V5 transfer at the time is purchase had we gotten that far but it didn't go further than the PPI. I wrote up an agreement for both parties to sign on payment of the deposit that outlined the terms under which the deposit would be refunded. Had it gone to purchase, I'd have made the payment via CHAPS to the same account used for the deposit. Worth noting that neither CHAPS nor BACS are necessarily instant. I know that my bank will refer for review any CHAPS in the ball park price of a Gen 2 (although they still endeavour to have the funds sent same day). I guess you twiddle your thumbs at that point!

Edited by Ginginho
typo

10 hours ago, Stumac62 said:

this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107104881361?

very nice if so. I imagine the colour is a key thing that draws you to that, which is understandable as it is lovely...but for a few £2K more, if silver if your thing, considering the extra spec and lower mileage for a few thou I would throw this into your mix too

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11936045

Quick update. The car sold to someone else tonight - the one I had arranged to view at 9am tomorrow morning as neither of us could do today! So am I meant to buy unseen? Oh well, no rush I spose!

2 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Quick update. The car sold to someone else tonight - the one I had arranged to view at 9am tomorrow morning as neither of us could do today! So am I meant to buy unseen? Oh well, no rush I spose!

That is a total drag! but hey could have been a blessing in disguise, thats the best thing to tell yourself! consider that silver one I just posted - more expensive but boil it down and its better value in effect.

Hi Julian. Yepbthe silver one is better value. I knew where the blue one had come from so was confident it was a 'good one'. Should have just bought it I spose. Dithering again!

2 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Hi Julian. Yepbthe silver one is better value. I knew where the blue one had come from so was confident it was a 'good one'. Should have just bought it I spose. Dithering again!

the silver avoids your concerns on buying privately, you could negotiate a warranty, if only 3 or 6 months, which I did with mine (helps for peace of mind) and they accept PX if that is a benefit.

I don't want to make it seem like you were making a mistake and it could have been the pics of the blue one but personally I felt it look tired. 

Yes I know what you mean. I will.have a think about that silver one. Does look good and with lots of options, including the paddle shifts, the blue one didn't.