Peridot Green Cayman R

dirtbiker

The day I picked it up was typically Scottish, it was a very rainy drive up to Aberdeen so I took it pretty easy:

30327368791_97c4e037ea_z.jpg

I've had a few RWD cars in the past (Z4 Coupe, Mk1 MX5 and Caterham Seven) but not experienced anything mid-engined so it's a bit of a learning curve!

• Like 1

Zunsport grills too! 

It's great to see it being used as a normal car to carry the bikes around, looking forward to seeing some snow pictures with the boards on :8:

Welcome to the forum! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

They're probably 11J.  It's possible to fit them on with a 295 section tyre and maybe some spacers as I recall.  It's not the ideal set-up though and you might find you introduce a bit of understeer.  

Aye, from what I've read people tend to run 18x10 ET40 265/40/18 on the rear.

Perhaps it's back to the drawing board looking out for some suitable wheels then! 

just a thought Dirtbiker but going wider in the winter is probably the worst thing to do, in my opinion of course, going wider reduces the pounds per square inch loading between the tyre and road surface due to the larger contact patch.   going to a smaller contact patch will increase the pressure loading and force the harder compound into the road surface to prevent surfing. I do the same thing when off roading,  using narrower cleated tyres to dig down through wet mud and snow to get to a firmer surface underneath to keep traction. on harder dry surfaces we go wide to float over the top

also another tip Ive picked up along the way, when changing batteries, I connect the terminal leads to jump leads and a slave battery or jump pack before disconnecting  them from the vehicle battery. Ive had too many near misses with radio codes and alarms and other electronics that don't like to be unpowered. don't use a battery charger though, these tend to be unregulated and can throw out 17 or 18 volts without the battery as a smoothing capacitor and might fry something.

hope this might help.

• 1 month later...

I got them from http://www.roofracks-roofboxes.co.uk. You need a quite specific blend of components:

2 x Thule Footpack 753

2 x Thule Footpack 751

Thule fitting kit 3100

Suitable aero roof bars

The chaps there were very helpful in getting that all sorted for me and I think it came to about £180 which is much more reasonable than trying to get hold of a set of the Porsche Tequipment bars (unless you happen to find a set second hand!)

Edit: Just seen that you've got a 981 - unfortunately for you they took out the threaded hard-points in the roof for the new models. You'd perhaps be worth having a look at SeaSucker racks though (https://www.seasucker.com/) - PistonHeads are shortly going to be doing an article on fitting them to their long-term F-Type so perhaps wait until that comes out!

Edited by dirtbiker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dirtbiker said:

I got them from http://www.roofracks-roofboxes.co.uk. You need a quite specific blend of components:

2 x Thule Footpack 753

2 x Thule Footpack 751

Thule fitting kit 3100

Suitable aero roof bars

The chaps there were very helpful in getting that all sorted for me and I think it came to about £180 which is much more reasonable than trying to get hold of a set of the Porsche Tequipment bars (unless you happen to find a set second hand!)

Edit: Just seen that you've got a 981 - unfortunately for you they took out the threaded hard-points in the roof for the new models. You'd perhaps be worth having a look at SeaSucker racks though (https://www.seasucker.com/) - PistonHeads are shortly going to be doing an article on fitting them to their long-term F-Type so perhaps wait until that comes out!

That's really useful! The Porsche ones are way too much new and like hens teeth a well known auction site. The rubber feet on the front look angled? The Thule ones look straight, is there a pet number or are they custom made/modified? 

• Like 1