Porsche confirm new name for Cayman

DKR_77

So it's official, Porsche have confirmed the new '718' model designation for the Cayman and Boxster, even adding it to the badge, which is unusual...  

Still 4 cylinders and a turbo puts me off more so I think :(

http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsche-to-add-flat-four-engine-718-badging-to-boxster-cayman/

• Founder

Still not sure if this is the whole of the model range that gets the 2.0l 4cy on whether there will still be some flat 6 engines in the range, it does state in the press release '4 cylinder option' 

Either way, i'm not sure i'm a fan of it on paper, lets see if in practice the engines can invoke some excitement...  

1 hour ago, Andy Fagan said:

Will we have to buy caps and wear them backwards?

Please noooo... 

Is the Impreza the only reference we have to a 4cy boxer engine? 

On 12 December 2015 at 09:19:36, Carl_Davis said:

Do we know when these cars will change, how long left to order a 981?

Porsche says it will release the 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman ‘over the course of 2016’. Further details should follow in due course.

16 hours ago, SarahP said:

What does the 718 bit mean?

From now on, the models are to be known as the Porsche 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman – referencing Porsche’s successful 1957 racer bearing the same numeric moniker.

• 11 months later...

Very new here hope you don't mind the post. My experience of a flat four is not a Scooby but is in an Alfa Sud 1.5ti back in the eighties.....cracking engine and a great A road car in it's time

• Like 1

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Wildboar said:

Very new here hope you don't mind the post. My experience of a flat four is not a Scooby but is in an Alfa Sud 1.5ti back in the eighties.....cracking engine and a great A road car in it's time

Thats a very interesting angle on it I must say, I might have to google that! 

If ever you can find one that has not dissolved, these are actually very nice cars. A friend of mine races one and has just bought a Alfasud Sprint barn find (though significantly less rusty than this one!). I still remember riding in the back of my Mums Sud when the front suspension suddenly poked through the front wing :4fvgdaq_th:Dooh!

i trust it is not the water solubility trait that the Sud and 718 share!

thank you, what a trip back in time to see and hear that...I always wanted the cloverleaf. I seem to remember being told  one should avoid pulling the hand brake on after a 'spirited' drive as the hand brake actuation would warp the inboard front discs!