Etiquette?

Rob63

I'm considering removing the rear 'Cayman S' boot badge and replacing it with the 'PORSCHE' badge, is this considerd a no-no? Is there any etiquette, does anyone have any knowledge of this being carried out previously?

My desire to do this stems from the fact that I'm none too keen on the 'Cayman' badge styling or silver colour, to have the 'PORSCHE' emblem as well will (IMHO) be too fussy...less is more. The car is in Meteor grey, the 'PORSCHE' badge would be in black.

Just to clarify, I'm not seeking approval but am after information from those more knowledgeable than myself!

Rob

There isn't a right or wrong answer to this. 

It is all down to personal tastes, I don't really like the scroll style font used on the badges, and do think they look better in black than silver... some will think the opposite.

If you prefer something else just give it a go, remember to be careful taking off the Cayman badge, use the fishing line trick so it can be put back on if required.  

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, decent and realistic reply and certainly what I was hoping from a forum like this.

I dare say that if the same question had been posted on a different Porsche forum then 3 rather burly gentlemen, complete with balaclavas, would have by now beaten the door down and I'd be in the process of being waterboarded over a real Porsche bonnet...

Seriously though, I'm not that keen on the Cayman scrolled font either, and again, I just feel that the 'less is more' policy applies here.

2 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

I'm tempted to do this too.  I'm just worried I won't be able to get all the letters aligned properly lol. 

If you can colour between the lines then you can do this!

I kinda cheated here and got ~~PORSCHE~solid metal  raised self adhesive letters and carefully worked out the spacings to match what the factory would do. this was positioned just below the spoiler and the original ~Cayman S~ script is now largely hidden by my after market spoiler.IMG_1541.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bushman said:

I kinda cheated here and got ~~PORSCHE~solid metal  raised self adhesive letters and carefully worked out the spacings to match what the factory would do. this was positioned just below the spoiler and the original ~Cayman S~ script is now largely hidden by my after market spoiler.IMG_1541.JPG

Now that looks good! My plan is to remove the Cayman S and place the Porsche (in black) badge there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stokepotter said:

Here ya go. 

20170228_164507.jpg

Now, in my humble opinion that really does tidy up the rear end, lovely.

One question, it may well be the angle of the photo but the badge positioning appears to have a slight curvature? 

This was a factory option on the 981 as per mine below. Was it not so on the 987?...

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 21.54.23.png

26090573656_6221b23c81_b.jpg

Best positioned above spoiler as you say you're going to do, to replace the Cayman badge.

Edited by DJMC

With most manufactures badges you should be able to buy them on a back mount so they are already spaced out correctly, then all you have to do is line up the mounting car and remove the back paper. 

Couple of places below who sell them, can be bought cheaper though if needed: 

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod128786/-PORSCHE---Black-Rear-Lid-Badge-Porsche-991---981-Boxster---981C-Cayman/

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-body-trim-parts/porsche-cayman-981-body-trim-parts-2013-onwards/porsche-cayman-981-badges-decals-2013-onwards/rear-porsche-lettering-badge-in-black-script.html

• Like 1

Andy's Porscheshop link seems to have the correct spacing.

Here are two cheaper options, but I've no idea if they're genuine or correctly spaced. Make your own enquiries:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/182458079893? NOTE: Length 30.5cm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-PORSCHE-BLACK-Emblem-Badge-Letters-for-Boxster-991-911-Cayman-Cayenne-/272567742780?hash=item3f764db13c:g:MO8AAOSw2xRYjgvT NOTE: Length 36cm

Perhaps @Stokepotter could measure his and post the result here?

Mine is 53cm long fitted so maybe they mean the length of the letters when bunched up? I'd check with ALL suppliers that the badge is correctly spaced for your model AND on a mount. I think there has to be a FRONT adhesive strip as well as a back protective strip otherwise when you take the back strip off they'd all fall on the floor! Just to emphasise, each letter is individually mounted. There can be no full length mount to stick to the car.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the input and the effort.

As a rule the badge would come with a front adhesive carrier, however it apears that this isn't the case with Porsche. If it were on a front carrier then when mounted to a curved suface, think Cayman here, then the badge In this instance would appear curved when applied. Stick a piece of 2" masking tape to the rear of the Cayman and you'll get the gist.

The letters need to be individually applied and the spacing is critical, needless to say it also makes it a PITA to fit. I've done worse!