Headlight modifications with blacked out internals

Equinox

Looks great! I am always really cautious of the lights steaming up after resealing them. I've done similar mods before on my other cars and no matter how good i've sealed them, they've always ended up misting up sooner or later :(

• Like 1

would this be an opportunity  to install some funky LED DRLs into the headlamp units or maybe cover that dated silver rim with some carbon tape before gluing the Perspex cover back on?

13 hours ago, Bushman said:

would this be an opportunity  to install some funky LED DRLs into the headlamp units or maybe cover that dated silver rim with some carbon tape before gluing the Perspex cover back on?

Yep and Yep!! these will be options for the finished product. Standard black internals just like these will be one price and then there will be addons that people can choose to put in place like halo LED rings, carbon surrounds and different coloured internals / details etc... Will just add time to delivery as I can only do so much as this is classed as a hobby :D and it would obviously increase the price slightly.

Will work out a formula and itemised addons and pricing strategies and post up here once I have finished. (With admin approval of course!) 

\Glad they seem to be going down well though!! :) 

• Like 1

Looks great that. 

I've done this on a few of my past cars, and really changes the front end, luckily the cars I've done it on were fairly old so the glue melted well in the oven, and I didn't have any issues with ingress afterwards as I applied plenty of new sealant. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

Hi there.

Interested in this but would like to try before I buy. I live on Bath, so was thinking - I might be able to swing past at some point and we could possibly pop my lights and whack in yours briefly so I could see exactly how it looks on my car. What do you think?

Also, if I bought a set of non-xenon lights for cheap, is it easy to swap my xenon hardware over to the non-xenon units?

Hello,

yes ofcourse this this would be fine. My family live in Bath and I'm over Trowbridge way so could arrange to meet at either location. 

'With regards to the xenon question I know porsche used the same housing for both types of lights so I could imagine it's a straight swap however can't guarantee this and know the levelling mechanism on the non-xenon is fairly complex so swapping this over might be a lot of hassle. Will post an image of the internals of the lights tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, crafty1 said:

Hi 

Have you tried doing this with Gen.2 lights or would you be willing ? I'd quite like mine done at some point. 

Hi,

Haven't had a chance to pick up a set of Gen2 lights to break apart yet. And don't want to run the risk first time doing it, on someone else's lights because of the high risk of cracking them. They are probably no different from the Gen1, just requiring a different approach to working round the seal to break it apart. At some point I will pick up a set of used lights off eBay to work on and once I have a routine in place to get them apart effectively I will post up here about it.

Latest on the lights is I have been toying with a new design. Calling it the Half moon lights but they end up looking much like the Cayman R style of lights on the Gen2. Picture shows both my full blacked out lights next to the latest 'Half Moon' design.

38410282511_402d5cbf94_k.jpg

Edited by Equinox
edit
  • Like 1

Does this affect the brightness of the resulting light?  I might be tempted for my white gen 2.

Problem is my car is my daily driver so I can't exactly run without lights (though some people in London...)

• Founder

These do look really great, nice work.  

How tricky would it be to lose the outer silver rim, like the CR lights? That would be the icing on the cake for me, on either style you’ve produced so far.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beanoir said:

How tricky would it be to lose the outer silver rim, like the CR lights? That would be the icing on the cake for me, on either style you’ve produced so far.  

+1 

On 21/11/2017 at 11:06, graham.reeds said:

Does this affect the brightness of the resulting light?  I might be tempted for my white gen 2.

Problem is my car is my daily driver so I can't exactly run without lights (though some people in London...)

Can't say I have noticed a difference. The main reflector is still chrome on rear part of the light and the upper lens doesn't 'use' any of the surrounding chrome to reflect as the lens is what draws the beam angle in and that is left unchanged. 

On 21/11/2017 at 19:02, Beanoir said:

The outer silver rim is a textured print from what I can tell. Easy to scratch but not something that peels off or anything unfortunately. Only thing I have seen done is headlight edge covers in FRP or Carbon or someone does a vinyl sticker that does the same job. Currently have a spare set so maybe I will give it a go and see what happens scraping it all off. 

• 3 years later...