Window Regulator

Hi all, my drivers side regulator decided to pack up last week so decided to have a go at it myself so ordered one and hopefully weather permitting will fit this weekend. Anyway, just wondering is there any need to add any extra grease to the cables ? There appears to be some already applied but very sparsely, the cables are almost dry. The regulator is an original Porsche item from Design 911.

cheers.

it will do no harm to smother in LM grease Max. its a complicated task though, mine broke a cable last year cos got frozen up and was corroded and frayed. you would be advised to get some door trim clips on hand first as most will break during removal, the trim clip sockets in the door cards are very fragile too so a hot glue gun is useful here, with black glue sticks. . the inner steel cover plate is a pain to remove and has a foam gasket that is easy to damage. I bought a plastic trim removal kit that has a dozen red plastic prybars in various sizes and shapes and found it essential for tasks like this. hope this helps and good luck.

20 hours ago, Bushman said:

it will do no harm to smother in LM grease Max. its a complicated task though, mine broke a cable last year cos got frozen up and was corroded and frayed. you would be advised to get some door trim clips on hand first as most will break during removal, the trim clip sockets in the door cards are very fragile too so a hot glue gun is useful here, with black glue sticks. . the inner steel cover plate is a pain to remove and has a foam gasket that is easy to damage. I bought a plastic trim removal kit that has a dozen red plastic prybars in various sizes and shapes and found it essential for tasks like this. hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks Bushman, I've actually been quite forward thinking for once and ordered a couple of packets of door trim clips which supposed to have been delivered today ready for this weekend but not arrived yet so looks like I'll have to wait until next weekend to fit regulator :( , at least I can hopefully get most of door dismantled ready. Think I'm going to need some good luck Bushman, thanks. 

On 30/01/2018 at 20:44, Maxheadroom said:

Hi all, my drivers side regulator decided to pack up last week so decided to have a go at it myself so ordered one and hopefully weather permitting will fit this weekend. Anyway, just wondering is there any need to add any extra grease to the cables ? There appears to be some already applied but very sparsely, the cables are almost dry. The regulator is an original Porsche item from Design 911.

cheers.

I understand that there’s a specific way to refit the clips innorder to avoid creating a water migration path from the door inner to the carpeted trim ‘card’ panel. 

My drivers regulator was replaced as part of the Cridfords PDI, but the card carpet was always wet after washing / heavy rain. Had RPM Technik investigate it 2 weeks ago when serviced and they refitted the clips properly, now it no longer ‘leaks’ / gets wet. 

I recall seeing a really detailed post somewhere on here about removing/refitting the door card and how to fit the clips properly. 

Maybe search for ‘wet door card’..?

best of luck with the job ??

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

I understand that there’s a specific way to refit the clips innorder to avoid creating a water migration path from the door inner to the carpeted trim ‘card’ panel. 

My drivers regulator was replaced as part of the Cridfords PDI, but the card carpet was always wet after washing / heavy rain. Had RPM Technik investigate it 2 weeks ago when serviced and they refitted the clips properly, now it no longer ‘leaks’ / gets wet. 

I recall seeing a really detailed post somewhere on here about removing/refitting the door card and how to fit the clips properly. 

Maybe search for ‘wet door card’..?

best of luck with the job ??

Thanks Windymiller, was feeling quite confident until reading your suggested search " wet door card " :( . Now feeling a tad apprehensive ( excellent reading though ). 

Here you go hopefully the link works - if not it’s in the technical ‘how to’ forum area, scroll down to the very long, but brilliantly detailed ‘how to’ from 987monkey:

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

Thanks Windymiller, an excellent read. Think I've got enough info now along with a few YouTube vids to help. Still waiting for door trim clips and dry weather ....... so could be waiting some time :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to fitting today, was a right royal pain in the butt. Would of been easier if I had 6 pairs of hands :) . It was well worth buying a packet or two of the door card clips/rivets as broke 5  or 6 when trying to get door card off. So refitted and well chuffed but wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry so let's hope passenger side stays hanging in there for a few more years yet. Regulator was well shot, so keeping fingers crossed for passenger side.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Equinox said:

Had mine go in the pouring rain!!! My only suggestion to anyone doing it is masking tape is your friend.

Mark up the current position of the mounting locations and it will save you loads of time having to mess about.

As mentioned though def not something I would do again in a hurry :D

Would agree about masking tape, window popped straight in to original locations and had no further adjustments to do.

• 2 months later...

My driver side regulator has just packed up too!... In the pouring rain... Not had the  S1 long & I did notice the window mechanism was a bit "noisy/clunky" when I bought it ?

Luckily I managed to manually pull it up so I didn't get soaked.

Will have to order a regulator mechanism now I guess ?

@Maxheadroom

Can you confirm if this is what I'll require to sort my buggered driver window regulator?

I haven't had the door panel off yet but I'm pretty sure it's FUBAR? ...  Linky here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WAHR-Front-Right-Window-Regulator-W-out-Motor-Porsche-Cayman-Boxster-911-Targa/232569882440?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ACayman&epid=1071717546&hash=item36263ec748:g:bVkAAOSwWv5aEy6T

Luckily (or not) my drivers window regulator went on the way to the dealership yesterday morning, literally 0.6m from the dealership! the good news for me is that it appears to be covered under warranty, the bad news it seems the parts are hard to get hold of and the dealership has had some on back order for a few months. Really hoping it will be fixed before Simply Porsche at Beaulieu. It does mean though having to return the courtesy car and be put into a hire car :-( at least I'll be mobile but...... ?

On 29/04/2018 at 16:59, Mavrik said:

@Maxheadroom

Can you confirm if this is what I'll require to sort my buggered driver window regulator?

I haven't had the door panel off yet but I'm pretty sure it's FUBAR? ...  Linky here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WAHR-Front-Right-Window-Regulator-W-out-Motor-Porsche-Cayman-Boxster-911-Targa/232569882440?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ACayman&epid=1071717546&hash=item36263ec748:g:bVkAAOSwWv5aEy6T

If your model is listed as per the advert then yes, but I’d be more inclined to buy the Porsche item from Design 911, it’s more expensive but at least you’ll have piece of mind with a quality part etc. 

6F9C821F-C314-49AA-95CF-BB76C27CE8F9.png

@Maxheadroom 

Cheers for the reply ?

I went ahead & bought the one from EuroCarParts only for them to inform me afterwards that it wasn't in stock! ?

I've now bought the aftermarket one from design911 ? ... Just waiting on delivery

Edited by Mavrik

14 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@Maxheadroom 

Cheers for the reply ?

I went ahead & bought the one from EuroCarParts only for them to inform me afterwards that it wasn't in stock! ?

I've now bought the aftermarket one from design911 ? ... Just waiting on delivery

Ok, there's a link within this thread above " wet door carpet", its worth  reading first and there's a few " how too's" on Youtube which are well worth watching a few times before  attempting to

remove your door card etc. Also, the chances are your probably going to break a few door card clips so I would order 10 or so of these just in case, be aware that these clips also serve as a seal when they attach to the inner metal door seal plate, if they don't fit right or you miss one out then water will leak through to the door carpet etc. Also, there's a seal between the inner metal seal plate and the door which will need to be removed to gain access to the window regulator so just be careful not to damage it as its only a foam seal. Happy window regulator fitting and good luck.

@Maxheadroom

Yeah, I already had a spare pack of the door card fasteners from when I sorted the Hifi speakers.

Roughly, how long a job is this??

14 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@Maxheadroom

Yeah, I already had a spare pack of the door card fasteners from when I sorted the Hifi speakers.

Roughly, how long a job is this??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replaced the window regulator this morning... Took me around 2hrs total... I used white silicone grease to lube the cables & plastic channel sliders etc... Also, didn't need to use the pack of spare door card fasteners!

Works a treat now... For how long though :35_thinking:

• Like 1