Cayman S 987.2 Lowering

Nis200K

So rapidly approaching a year into ownership and still loving the car. Not much that I have a desire to change as I was quite lucky with the spec.

The one thing I didn’t realise until a few weeks into ownership & clearly a gap in my pre buying research is that PASM equipped cars sit 10mm lower. 

Mine doesn’t have PASM, is on 19” Carrera S II alloys but don’t like the gaps round the wheel arches. PASM equipped cars sit better & I love how the R sits.

I don’t have a big budget for this which rules out B16 PSS9’s or other coil overs so leaning more towards springs only. H&R, Eibach. I’m doing it more for cosmetics so doesn’t need to be track focused and also keen for it not to look too low as I don’t want it to appear modified.

The image below shows how obvious the gap is (to me at least)

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience of the springs I’ve mentioned or can recommend where to get the work done and the geometry reset post lowering or rough cost for the work.

Still under Porsche warranty, so may wait.

Loving everying else about the car

Thanks in advance.

Nik

D480F296-6DB9-4159-BB93-7D5B35E71E50.jpeg

I have H and R springs. Can’t help on anything other than what the ride is like as I bought the car with them. I like them, ride is a bit harsh on mine with 18 inch wheels. Not bad though, but can crash a little if you don’t watch the potholes. Doesn’t bother me, only the misses. Handling seems ace. Car sits flat with no body roll at all. In my opinion it’s how the car should have come from the factory looks wise.

• Thanks 1

i have the H and R springs fitted and imho is the single best mod you can do.

the ride quality is the same as standard,you lose that silly great arch gap and the body roll you get on standard springs is gone.

cayman R looks and handling.....?

i had a full 4 wheel setup to R specs(which has a little more neg camber on the front.you will have to live with a touch more rear neg camber as this cant be dialed out when lowering without fitting fully adjustable rear toe links.

cant comment on the cost as did it myself,but can say it took my 15 hours mainly due to the rear arb links seized in the rear hubs.

• Thanks 1

You can fit Cayman R springs to your existing dampers to lower it also, not sure of the cheapest / best place to get that done but Centre Gravity is where I would go or another good Indy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crafty1 said:

You can fit Cayman R springs to your existing dampers to lower it also, not sure of the cheapest / best place to get that done but Centre Gravity is where I would go or another good Indy.

Thanks for the replies, I have read that it’s not possible to fit R springs to a non R as I believe the shocks are different? I will certainly have a chat to CG to get a feel for cost. I’m fairly mechanically minded so doing it myself isn’t out of the question. Would still get geometry done prodfesiobslly though

Thanks

10 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

Looks like you guys are just playing at this lowering game.......

http://39958194962_006eeea4fd_b.jpgIMG_20180130_180108964 by DRH986, on Flickr

Uh, how to take a perfectly good car...

... and ruin it ?

i accept that ‘styling mods’ are an individual’s taste, but (aside from no doubt ruining the ride and handling characteristics of the cayman) that just makes it look plain daft ?

i used to go go to all sorts of US custom car shows as a boy with my old man back in the 70s & 80s so ive seen my fair share of (cool) custom cars, so I’m no styling prude. 

On the topic of H & R springs, there are various types with differing lowering ‘heights’. 

I was considering the ones that ‘drop’ it by a mere 10mm, so as not compromise ride comfort (on atrocious pot-holed Bucks roads), whilst also benefiting from slightly better body roll damping and mildly improved asthetics. Anyone used these (as opposed to the ones that drop it by 35mm, which seem more ‘track’ / billiard table smooth autobahn asphalt orientated)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windymiller said:

On the topic of H & R springs, there are various types with differing lowering ‘heights’. 

I was considering the ones that ‘drop’ it by a mere 10mm, so as not compromise ride comfort (on atrocious pot-holed Bucks roads), whilst also benefiting from slightly better body roll damping and mildly improved asthetics. Anyone used these (as opposed to the ones that drop it by 35mm, which seem more ‘track’ / billiard table smooth autobahn asphalt orientated)?

I think looking at the numbers on the springs mine are 35s, just to give you an idea. I have to pop my head inside the wheel arch to check and I believe that’s what they are. I’ve got 18 inch wheels. Never seen the 10mms.

DFC9D2D0-1B5F-4653-8B66-BB676F8D6130.jpeg

7 hours ago, Buggyjam said:

I think looking at the numbers on the springs mine are 35s, just to give you an idea. I have to pop my head inside the wheel arch to check and I believe that’s what they are. I’ve got 18 inch wheels. Never seen the 10mms.

DFC9D2D0-1B5F-4653-8B66-BB676F8D6130.jpeg

Looks good Buggyjam, but I think just a bit too low for me (I’m on 19s). 

These are the 10mm H&R springs:

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-mechanical-parts/porsche-cayman-gen-2-mechanical-parts-2009-to-2012/porsche-cayman-gen-2-suspension-2009-to-2012/h-r-m030-performance-lowering-spring-kit-10mm-all-2005-2012.html

4 hours ago, UKtom said:

Lots of people underestimate the ride quality and handling of air suspension set ups. I had a full Airlift Performance kit on my previous car (VW Scirocco) and it handled great. Admittedly, the ride comfort was dependant on ride height - too high = too bouncy and too low = too harsh.

The practicality though is great, and for a "show" car and talking point, it turns a lot of heads and gets a lot of attention. I debated putting my Cayman on an air set up, but after getting quotes of 5-6k upwards I just can't justify it.

At the moment I have H&R springs on my cayman whilst I save for a coilover set up. The standard arch gap was way too much for me, the H&R's provided a nice subtle drop on my 987.2:

28169814_588841014795696_750841437_o.jpg

Tom

Good choice of picture to show the ride height / arch gap ??

• Like 1

On 23/02/2018 at 18:34, Nis200K said:

@UKtom Do you know what drop that is or which H&R springs they are, exactly the height / look I’d like to achieve.

They are a 35mm drop, I’m also running 15mm spacers rear and 7mm front - without them, your wheels do look lost in the arches!

Also if I’m honest, a 10mm drop would look no different to stock in my opinion.

Tom

• Thanks 1