Might be a 981 Cayman owner soon...

Hi all,

I might pull the trigger on purchasing a 981 Cayman from a dealer soon but the website I saw it on does not give any information about the car. I'd like to find out some answers first but not exactly sure what are the things I should look out for when purchased a used Cayman.

Any helpers here? I got the usual service history, tyre thread covered. But is there anything specific I need to ask? It's a 2014 model that's done very little mileage.

Thanks!

Apart from the usual condition and service history checks you’ll probably want to make sure that it’s got the options you require, e.g......

Sports Chrono

PASM

PSE

Climate Control (a lot have plain air conditioning)

Navigation

Cruise

Cruise can be retro-fitted around £500 at an OPC.

Think about re-sale too. If it's cheap 'cos it has little in the way of options it will be cheap when you come to sell it!

Find out where the car has been serviced (should have had maybe two services by now) and contact that OPC to ask if any advisories or work done? Most will be helpful.

If little info on the website, is it an official Porsche centre selling it?

We need more info ideally.

Hi all,

Here's the car in question:
http://www.stratstone.com/search/vehicledetails/used-car-porsche-cayman--automatic-petrol-white-coupe-BR14HAL/

The options that were a must is to have 20" alloys and Sport design steering wheel which this car has. The nice to haves were twin exhaust pipe, Porsche crescent on headrest, Sports Chrono but for the price of this car, I thought it's a bargain so didn't mind none of the nice to haves were on there.

Spoke to the sales rep on the phone and he said the next service is due 2020. There's only been one service and that was at a Bentley service centre.

Unsure if it has Navigation, PASM and Air con. I assume it has Air Con... nearly all modern cars have Air Con these days??? I can check on these things tomorrow though.

Furthermore I received pictures of the interior and looks like these are standard seats instead of sport seats? Suits me fine because the sports seats were abit uncomfy for me as I have wide shoulders so they kept digging into me....

IMG_2009.JPG

• Founder
11 minutes ago, Erisu7 said:

Hi all,

Here's the car in question:
http://www.stratstone.com/search/vehicledetails/used-car-porsche-cayman--automatic-petrol-white-coupe-BR14HAL/

The options that were a must is to have 20" alloys and Sport design steering wheel which this car has. The nice to haves were twin exhaust pipe, Porsche crescent on headrest, Sports Chrono but for the price of this car, I thought it's a bargain so didn't mind none of the nice to haves were on there.

Spoke to the sales rep on the phone and he said the next service is due 2020. There's only been one service and that was at a Bentley service centre.

Unsure if it has Navigation, PASM and Air con. I assume it has Air Con... nearly all modern cars have Air Con these days??? I can check on these things tomorrow though.

Easiest thing to do is ask the dealer for photo of the option code label either off the label in the boot or from the inside front cover of the user manual - post them here and we will help you identify the exact options and spec the car has.  

There is aircon, climate and dual climate! 

From the picture it appears to have front and rear parking sensors, and Xenon headlights, both of which were options I think?

Just because 'all modern cars have Air Con these days' don't assume anything when buying a Porsche even if you do think a prestigious brand would have all mod cons as standard - yes air con is standard but it you like to set the temperature to a known value such at 20 deg then you'll need the climate control option. Dealers can make  mistakes and state a car has options which it does not, double check everything with your own eyes!

As Beanoir says, get the dealer to send you a photo of the option code label.

Mine doesn't have air conditioning - didn't want to lug around an extra 15kg ?

I can count the number of times I turned the AC on in my 911 on the fingers of one hand over the three years I owned it. 

51 minutes ago, Draven said:

Mine doesn't have air conditioning - didn't want to lug around an extra 15kg ?

I can count the number of times I turned the AC on in my 911 on the fingers of one hand over the three years I owned it. 

I didn’t realise you could get a 981 without even basic air conditioning - I should have heeded my own advise and not assumed anything!

47 minutes ago, twopointnine said:

I didn’t realise you could get a 981 without even basic air conditioning - I should have heeded my own advise and not assumed anything!

Sorry, was replying to the "all modern cars have air con" bit, rather than specifically 981. 

Was talking about my 987 R, but then given that it's over seven years old now, maybe it's not modern anymore ?

Yes, A/C is standard on the 981, but not climate control.

From what I can see, I believe the Stratstone car has these options:

Windows look dark tinted in the photos? If so, with aftermarket film, check the fronts are legal.

PDLS...

1373288549_ScreenShot2018-06-06at14_18_00.png.c1c53bb919e48df3e932ac8042f48b9a.png

Seems to be at the lower end of prices asked by dealers.  Isn't Stratstone a Porsche Centre?   Odd that the web page shows so little information. 

A good price if it includes the normal 2 year warranty.   Most seem to be asking around £35k for such a car.  

On 06/06/2018 at 14:20, DJMC said:

Damn, wish I’d read that first - I’d have added ‘rear wiper’ as a must have when I was looking just for the pedigree.... ?

2 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Damn, wish I’d read that first - I’d have added ‘rear wiper’ as a must have when I was looking just for the pedigree.... ?

If I hadn't found the article I wouldn't have put a deposit down on this one!!:

27670930188_1c135c99eb_z.jpg

Update: looks like the car is provisionally sold as the site says reserved. Unfortunately i’m not the one that reserved it. My hunt continues! 

• 4 months later...
On 07/06/2018 at 20:03, Windymiller said:

My first Cayman had a rear wiper, my GTS doesn’t. 

Dont miss it at all. Ugly things in my view.

Just use ‘Rain X’ after washing the car. Water just beads off the rear screen. 

I do however miss climate control, my current car only has air con. 

17 minutes ago, Cerec1 said:

My first Cayman had a rear wiper, my GTS doesn’t. 

Dont miss it at all. Ugly things in my view.

Just use ‘Rain X’ after washing the car. Water just beads off the rear screen. 

I do however miss climate control, my current car only has air con. 

Or just drive so fast that rain simply evaporates as it hits the car... ??

• Like 1