Where has Beanoir been...

Beanoir™

Really great post. Looking to do a trip similar next summer and your pictures helped me convince the mrs. Have you got the route you took plotted on a map?

• Like 1

• Founder
2 hours ago, Daz said:

Really great post. Looking to do a trip similar next summer and your pictures helped me convince the mrs. Have you got the route you took plotted on a map?

I can certainly sort a route out for you yes.  Leave it with me and I’ll have a go tonight when I’ve got my laptop on 

• Founder

Ok, a few drives I did last week in the Alps.  Have adjusted a few to remove some bits that were uninteresting or busy with traffic.  

The Black Forest High Road, Germany

So we stayed overnight in Baden-Baden, Germany which is a nice old thermal spa town in the forest.  From Baden-Baden take the 500 south and enjoy the highest points of the Black Forest High Road.  On the route you can stop and see the waterfalls at Hornberg, then down into Triberg where you must visit Cafe Schaefer which is home to the original 1915 receipe for Black Forest gateau!  

From here you can take either a scenic route or the highways, but you can follow border east towards Austria and finish at neuschwanstein castle which is mighty impressive!  

edit-0023-compressor-1200x900.jpg

Link to Route: https://goo.gl/maps/7BQzwGmWBhn

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 11.19.16.png

Lake Como Loop

As I mentioned, we based ourselves in Menaggio on Lake Como for a few days, so you can do a number of drives from there as it's at the southern edge of the Alps.  First one was a loop, taking in Tirano, the Bernina Pass, St Moritz and Maloja Pass.  

Link to Route:  https://goo.gl/maps/Ayj7B5c9e4o

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.44.22.png

Lake Como to Stelvio

A slight variation on the above would be taking in Lake Livigno, the Munt Le Schera tunnel and finishing with the Stelvio Pass.  You can stay at the hotel on top of the mountain at Stelvio.  

Link to route: https://goo.gl/maps/gPRU3RKijK92

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.50.22.png

Airolo to Beckenried (featuring Gotthard, Furka & Grimsel) 

I really recommend Gotthard Pass.  There is a new pass road and the old pass road, the most exciting is the old pass road which is largely the original cobbled roads up the mountain.  Carry on to the Furka Pass (Famous for the Car chase in the Bond movie, Goldfinger) and then after that the Grimsel Pass.  After passing a few lakes we stopped at Beckenreid which is a beautiful lakeside town, very clean and stopped and had our packed lunch there.  

Link to Route: https://goo.gl/maps/No2kHXAyRb42

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 11.00.42.png

Goldfinger 0-36-16.jpg

• Thanks 1

Anyone considering these routes in the future (which I would highly recommend) should also include the Nufenen and Susten Passes along with the Furka and Grimsell. I think they're the best of the Andermatt Loop. 

• Like 1

Thank you for these

yes I agree on Stelvio, it is a bit overrated -- I am native from around the area 

And thanks for the Black forest route, I was looking for a recommendation for that!

I will embark in a Alps > Switzerland  > Austria roadtrip  sometime next spring and will post the route