Thinking of selling up...

Aaron

Guys, I'm thinking of selling up.  I've driven the car about 1100 miles this year (versus 6k the year before).  It's a lot of money to just sit there not being appreciated - I could take a huge chunk off my mortgage instead. :( 

As a comparison, with the summer we had (and what a summer it was), I have done 10k in the S2000.  The roof doesn't go down on the Cayman...  But then there's the possibility of it appreciating in the future as time goes on; I am torn.  The S2000 was supposed to be a temporary car for a few months - I'm nearly a year into ownership of it!  It's such a good car that it sickens me to think of parting ways with it.

Send help.

• Sad 1

Same position, just not using my S, seems such a waste of a car to be sat in the garage all the time.

B is right though, if you dont need the cash and mortgages are the cheapest forms of borrowing and you really enjoy the R then keep it. 

Still we are all in a very privileged position to have that choice to make.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the input.

I can indeed afford both cars/mortgage, and I'm lucky enough to be able to do that.  But my financials would be much easier by releasing the money that's sitting in the CR.  It will be less of a problem once the missus moves in except that's another 9 months away (she's tied into a renting lease).

I wouldn't say that I like driving the S2000 more, it's just that it fitted the summer weather aptly versus the CR.  It's hard to top a roadster in 20 degrees, irrespective of it being one as solid as the S2000.  However, I know which car I would rather drive through spring or autumn without a doubt.  There would be no comparison.  Perhaps my mind will swing in the other direction now that the summer is over?

Or maybe I should cease being dramatic altogether, make the financial compromises and just keep both...  First world problems.

Keep both if you really can afford the running costs etc.

I do roughly 2k a year in my S but I also have a 350z GT convertible roadster which does roughly the same mileage (also have a RR7 HRC Fireblade) ... The yearly running costs i.e insurance/road tax for both cars is eye-watering tbh but as long as I can afford to put fuel in them then I'll be happy ?

Goodness me man, do not sell that car! 

You will regret it, just like Beanoir! 

I had a beautiful black 993 and loved it, sold it because the wife nagged me for never driving it.  10 years on, I still have my mortgage, don’t have a 993 to drive and it would be worth about 4 times what I sold it for.  Gained nothing, lost a lot - hard lesson to learn that ?

15 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

@Aaron

details of your CR please?

MY

miles

spec

manual/pdk

seats

aircon option

etc

?

Christ mate, he’s not decided to sell it yet - bloody vulture!! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DKR_77 said:

Christ mate, he’s not decided to sell it yet - bloody vulture!! 

Reverse psychology - as soon as Aaron realises someone else ‘wants his woman’, he’ll find her more attractive and resolve himself to keep her..... ??

I’m doing him a favour in the long run ?

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

I wouldn't say that I like driving the S2000 more, it's just that it fitted the summer weather aptly versus the CR.  It's hard to top a roadster in 20 degrees, irrespective of it being one as solid as the S2000......

Or maybe I should .......just keep both... 

Or just sell the S2000 and drive with the CR windows down in the summer.... ??

I would have loved a CR if I could have afforded one! To me it feels a bit like the 968 club sport, a car that will become increasingly sought after over time. A keeper! 

2 hours ago, Windymiller said:

@Aaron

details of your CR please?

MY

miles

spec

manual/pdk

seats

aircon option

etc

?

I'll entertain your reverse psychology theory...

2012 (61 plate) basalt black with 40000 on the clock.

All the bells and whistles besides PSE, Spyder wheels (Sport Design) and bi-xenons.  I even have the premium handbrake option, Porsche crest in the headrest, leather dash with stitching and alcantara (I have never seen a CR with both, personally), rear parking sensors.  The list goes on.  It comes with AC, as one would want.

Box is PDK.

I've also installed an IPD plenum, 82mm TB and Softronic map to get the engine performing the way it should be (dyno'd 362 HP and lacks the midrange flatspot), along with a GT3 brake master cylinder.

Unless you want a manual, it's pretty much the ultimate Cayman R.

3 hours ago, PMGPete said:

Sounds like you need a Boxster Spyder

Despite the impression you get from this thread, I chose the CR over the Spyder.  I live in Wales!  It's supposed to rain a lot but this summer it simply didn't rain at all.  I think a freak summer with the right car is throwing my Porsche-loving compass all to pot.

2 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Or just sell the S2000 and drive with the CR windows down in the summer.... ??

That's just not the same, unfortunately... ? The S2000 is a different kind of beast.  Don't get me wrong, it's not a weapon like the CR but it's still a raw driver's car.

I drove the car to work and back today - with a social event afterwards - and I think I need to drive it more regularly.  I've lost the special guise it used to feel.  Probably because I feel more like a Honda owner than a Porsche owner.  I need rehabilitation. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

I think a freak summer with the right car is throwing my Porsche-loving compass all to pot.

I drove the car to work and back today - with a social event afterwards - and I think I need to drive it more regularly.  I've lost the special guise it used to feel.  Probably because I feel more like a Honda owner than a Porsche owner.  I need rehabilitation. 

Although ‘absence may make the heart grow fonder’ in the short term, I think truly deep love is only built up through an abundance of time together, sharing experiences and building trust. ?

Its clear ear to me that you need to ‘let go’ of your ‘other dalliance’ and commit yourself to your CR to ‘rebond’ with her. ??

it doesnt need to be a suite of overblown romantic gestures like installing a function-first short shift kit and numerics gear-cables; nor a lightended mass flywheel, a set of Ohlins, or similar...

simply take her out for a nice long road trip or a late autumn trackday, buy her some Shell V-power to drink and drive the ass off her.... ????

Edited by Windymiller
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

Although ‘absence may make the heart grow fonder’ in the short term, I think truly deep love is only built up through an abundance of time together, sharing experiences and building trust. ?

Its clear ear to me that you need to ‘let go’ of your ‘other dalliance’ and commit yourself to your CR to ‘rebond’ with her. ??

it doesnt need to be a suite of overblown romantic gestures like installing a function-first short shift kit and numerics gear-cables; nor a lightended mass flywheel, a set of Ohlins, or similar...

simply take her out for a nice long road trip or a late autumn trackday, buy her some Shell V-power to drink and drive the ass off her.... ????

Might struggle with those gestures anyway, it’s a PDK.

I’d keep hold of it too, certainly wouldn’t keep the Honda instead of it! 

12 minutes ago, CaymanDave said:

Might struggle with those gestures anyway, it’s a PDK.

I’d keep hold of it too, certainly wouldn’t keep the Honda instead of it! 

Good point ? - it was early... ?

??

9 hours ago, Windymiller said:

She receives nothing but the finest V-Power at all times! ;) 

I used to daily the CR and my "commute" was driving to the train station and back.  I acquired a parking spot at work around 12 months ago and thus the S2000.  This is when it all started going wrong.

Either the S2000 needs to go entirely or it needs to be downgraded, me thinks.  I've spent many dirty hands and cut fingers getting it driving absolutely perfect.  I'll have to go through that all over again with the crappier car.  I started toying with the idea of a TDI 170 Golf or A3, then it turned into an A5 3.0 TDI.  This is what happens.  I think I have serious car issues... I can't settle for something mediocre. 

I think the issue with that is that I have to fork out more on a newer car than I would buying something older and repairing it (I have no qualms rebuilding an engine, etc.).  Warranties mean very little to me on that premise.

This is why I picked the S2000 because it's a sports car you can disassemble with a basic socket set.  It's so simple(/repairable without special tools) compared to the German alternatives that it makes me a little sick.

There's always depreciation, too!  Especially on a Kia.  I bet one would lose half or possibly more of its value in those 3/4 years.

I changed my daily to a Range Rover and it has actually made me love the Cayman even more and yet I haven't enjoyed a daily as much as I have the Rangie.

The experiences they offer are so contrasting that neither car becomes a competitor of the other.

The loser in my whole scenario now is my e92 M3 as the other car better in so much in each aspect that it now rarely moves.  It isn't as dynamically engaging as the Cayman and it isn't as comfortable or practical as the Range.

Swap out the S2K for something wafty and you then still have a second vehicle that fights its own cause.

All without enduring a characterless eurobox

• Like 1