oil level measurement issue?

morghen

Having a smoky problem i replaced the AOS and that fixed most of the problem.

Car is 180.000Km old now and only smokes for up to 30 seconds when cold...just sometimes and only a bit.

I have been monitoring the oil level closely for the last months and something strange is going on that makes me think that the oil level measurement system may be faulty.

If the car sits for at least a day the next time i check the oil level it will show me minimum level, i dont get the check oil sign but the measurement shows minimum oil level.

I start the car without topping up with oil, drive it and park it for an hour or so, during the same day the level of measured oil is higher than when the car sat for more than 24h.

It should be the other way around if anything...is there a way one can re-calibrate the measurement sensor or whatever it is?

Ah, ok, thanks. Then its clear that when cold the measurement system is not fully capable.

What a shame they did not include a dip stick..

Edited by morghen

I always had the highest readings when the car had been parked for a few days and was measured cold on both our 987 Caymans.  

As well as a difference due to the engine being hot vs cold, the measurement is very sensitive to how level the surface is that the car is parked on.  Parking on my driveway which looks flat gave different readings than the garage, which I know is flat.  I would only make comparisons when parked on a known level surface or in exactly the same spot on a visually level surface.

Yea, measurements are done in the same place that i know is flat, the garage concrete slab.

Normally if you let the car sit for more than a day the oil levels should be higher as more oil drains into the sump, not the other way around as i get.

Every morning before i drive it to work i turn on the ignition and check the oil, it shows minimum, but later on when i get home and check the oil in the same place it reads as it has more oil.

Note: absolutely no smoke at startup.

Note1: if i were to add oil now so that in the mornings the readout is not at minimum, the car would sometimes smoke a little at start.

I suspect that the oil measurement system is confused and is making me run with too much oil in the engine only to burn the exces oil.

Edited by morghen

maybe once a month, or every 1000kms.is ok. just cos its a flat 6 doesn't mean that its an oil user. It is true that being a flat engine, the bores don't drain like an upright or vee engine but all this normally means is that the first stroke of each piston on start-up is a bit oily and results in a puff of smoke. this should only last for a second or two before it clears.

I dont know what to say, if i keep the oil topped up the car smokes more and more often.

If i keep the oil on the lower end of the measurement the car rarely smokes and when it does, it does very little.

I feel as if you're overthinking this to the far beyond.  Measure it when the engine is warm and top it up when needed.  Don't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today i swapped back the summer wheels and decided to use the cheapo endoscope to see the cyl3 and 5, the ones the dealer told me they are slightly missfiring and they need the coils replaced(which i did). One of the cyls was dry with no marks but a lot of black deposits on the piston crown. Maybe that one got like that because of the failed AOS and got back dry when i replaced the AOS.

The other one however you can see below, likes to call itself a zebra. This is also the cyl with the least compression, 14bar.

Thinking of applying a ceramic oil treatment and enjoy the car further, opinions?

46415891794_898eb67bb9_z.jpg

47087357062_dc7a416648_z.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am glad you got it sorted and hopefully it didn't cost you too much.  Just to be sure, is your car an S?  Maybe it's the angle but the exhaust looks like the 2.7 pipe.  Be interesting to know if the 2.7 suffered with bore score.