PCM Sat Nav unit and AOB

Cito

Hi guys,

I am a happy new owner of a Cayman 987.2 2.9l PDK. 

I bought it just last week but there are already some changes I would like to do, 

I am reading with interest your forum and I am very glad to have found it!

Here my list of changes and I can't wait for your ideas/thought/suggestion.

a) I did read the topic about the front lights. I bought already the Philips Racing Vision but I was thinking to go for the Nighteye LED. I will let you know...

b) I would like to re-do the steering wheel (now covered in leather) in alcantara, so have you got any suggestion where to go for that? any thought? Then I saw the picture here in the forum about a steering wheel with the big paddles which I like so much....but probably, because of its cost, it is going to be a future upgrade.. Do you know where I can start to have a look about it?

c) I've got the CDR30 (I think it is called), which is the original radio without the sat nav. Is just Bluetooth, which is nice but not enough for me. I would like to go for the sat nav version (which if I am not wrong is called PCM3.0 or something like that) and it costs a fortune. Have you got any suggestion about where to search for it?

Guys, any suggestion or correction is more than welcomed! 

In the meantime I will use this website as a good bed time lecture :-)

Cheers,

Andrea

Hi Andrea, re the PCM piece, are you looking to stick to the Porsche original unit, or are you open to an aftermarket unit? If the latter, it will probably cost a lot less, and potentially do more.

4 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

Hi Andrea, re the PCM piece, are you looking to stick to the Porsche original unit, or are you open to an aftermarket unit? If the latter, it will probably cost a lot less, and potentially do more.

Hi Craig,

yes, the after market probably would be the easier (and cheapest choice) but I like the idea of having the original one because I think it marries very well with the internals.

I was hoping to find the original one at a decent price (I am speaking about a 2nd hand of course), if not I think I have to go for an after market. 

Cheers

Hi Cito,

I have recently fitted a new after market head unit from Dynavin. It’s fully compatible with your CDR30 and matches with the original interior of the Cayman upto 2012. Its model number is Dynavin N7-PS. It includes Satnav, blue tooth tel, apple or android connectivity, aux Audio input, ext HDD input, CD player,DAB module included, you can also add reversing camera if required and also add Digital TV module as well. It’s a direct replacement for your CDR30 and looks OEM.

Cheers.

Edited by Maxheadroom
Add extra text
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maxheadroom said:

P.s , it’s not cheap though £899 !!!  You can find it cheaper on the web but they usually don’t come with DAB module which I think is about £150 ish extra,

Thanks Max! It’s a big price but if it fits as it should...

i will bear it in mind. 

Cheers,

Andrea

• Like 1

• Founder

I had a Dynavin in my old X5 and I was very impressed with it, and looked OEM but with upto date tech.  

I’ve not long installed a Pioneer unit in my Impreza which is basically just a screen with no buttons or anything on it, so it can’t not look OEM which is another option.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

I had a Dynavin in my old X5 and I was very impressed with it, and looked OEM but with upto date tech.  

I’ve not long installed a Pioneer unit in my Impreza which is basically just a screen with no buttons or anything on it, so it can’t not look OEM which is another option.  

Yes, something to consider (the fact that it does not look OEM).

thanks Beanoir. 

6 hours ago, Cito said:

Then I saw the picture here in the forum about a steering wheel with the big paddles which I like so much....but probably, because of its cost, it is going to be a future upgrade.. Do you know where I can start to have a look about it?

That will be the Sport Design wheel. :) Not sure how much it would cost to fit it nowadays.  I think pricing back in ~2012 was £500 all in from an OPC.

8 hours ago, Aaron said:

That will be the Sport Design wheel. :) Not sure how much it would cost to fit it nowadays.  I think pricing back in ~2012 was £500 all in from an OPC.

Ah, thank you Aaron, I did not know the name. I love it! 

Thanks,

Andrea

The steering wheel is Sport design as Aaron said.  I have one in my car a lot nicer to drive with than the buttons on the wheel. 

You can buy them from design 911 not cheap, IMG_0550.JPG.86d4eaa066123fa1b7f7075d4c20a20e.JPGstart at £675

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod11154/Steering-Wheel-3-spoke-Sport-with-paddle-shift-Porsche-987---997-PDK-cars/

1 minute ago, Daz said:

The steering wheel is Sport design as Aaron said.  I have one in my car a lot nicer to drive with than the buttons on the wheel. 

You can buy them from design 911 not cheap, IMG_0550.JPG.86d4eaa066123fa1b7f7075d4c20a20e.JPGstart at £675

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod11154/Steering-Wheel-3-spoke-Sport-with-paddle-shift-Porsche-987---997-PDK-cars/

Exactly this one!

cheers

5 hours ago, Mavrik said:

Welcome 😊

You can get your original steering wheel re-trimmed/re-designed in Alcantara etc here:

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/

As for the headlights (I gather you recognise they are woefully inadequate as stock?!?) I have the Night Eye LED... Very good value & nice crisp "white" with, imo, a better lumen than any Halogen upgrade!

Awesome! Thanks Mavrik. I will have a look at the website. 

Yes, the headlights are quite appalling. I put on the Philips Racing Vision but is just temporary. I want to try the night eye. 

On eBay I noticed that in theory they don’t fit my Cayman model (there is a drop down menu where you can see if they are compatible with your car) but looking at this forum it does not seem the case. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

If you want aftermarket the Pioneer range are decent...

CH073011_1.jpg

Yes, I thought the same after have published the post. I think you are right. I don't like too much  the "android screen" but they are sensible. It does not cost a fortune and it does the trick.

Cheers,

Andrea

Guys,

the Philips bulbs are better than the stock ones but still, not satisfactory to me si, I’ve ordered now the nighteye.

16 minutes ago, Cito said:

Guys,

the Philips bulbs are better than the stock ones but still, not satisfactory to me si, I’ve ordered now the nighteye.

Let us know how you get on with them @Cito, I might give them another try