Upgrade to brake disks

Kai

Hi gang. 

Looking for recommendations for upgrading brake disks on 987 CS for road and track use.  

I had Brembo disks with DS2500 pads and braided hoses last time but the disks have completely worn and cracked with only road use so looking for better please. 

Cheers 

Kai 

Take a look at the offerings from Girodisc. These are a laregr size 2 piece item so cope with heat management better. I run them with titanium shims and Pagid RS29s on my Cayman R.

Ive never got on with DS2500s myself, however run RS29s on all my performnace cars over the years been very pleased with them.

Upgrading the fluid at the same time always makes a nice improvemnt to pedal feel too especially if its old.

Thanks bud. 

Ill take a look. Is it a US based company which means shipping costs need to be added?

Kai 

I run the Sebro slotted front disks, RBF 600 fluid, S/S lines and DS2500 pads. This set up has coped with everything I've thrown at it with no fading (quite a few track days). This setup isn't very expensive but I found it to be a big improvement.

If I were to go for a serious setup I'd look at something like this: 

https://pbbrakes.com/brake-kits/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-987-06-up-rear-big-brake-kit.html

Edited by Dougle_turbo

Thanks guys. 

So I already have the braided hoses and racing fluid.  This time I went for Brembo disks and Pagid RS pads. 

Appreciate the replies / interesting that we all have our own ways of doing things. 

Kai 

• 2 years later...
On 05/06/2019 at 21:23, pstarkey said:

I have the kit from Freaky Parts;

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-brakes

With Carbone Lorraine CL5+ pads, good all round setup with braided lines and ATE 200 fluid.  Gives better bite on track and still ok from cold/for road use.  I appreciate you can go more extreme, but a good balance. 

IMG_0202.JPEG

hi

Would you say these would be better than Brembo brakes for road use for my Cayman R?

I like that these appear to be be larger....but i am not a track person. 

They seem well priced and I can't afford Girodiscs and would never take advantage of such a spend non brakes....but was looking for something just a notch up or two from the norm.

And these are just for the front.... do they not do back ones too?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Julian

• 10 months later...

I am looking to take my 987.2 S out for it's first few track days so really interested to get a vote on how vital changing the drilled discs to something like the Sebro slotted front disks before I take it out for the first few days. It may be something that I would like to do later on after a few days but do you think there is a risk that I will see some cracking with just a few days on track? @Dougle_turbo I have seen your YouTube video where you talk about those discs so would be interested how many days you did on the standard drilled ones before you changed those. 

I am looking to take my 987.2 S out for it's first few track days so really interested to get a vote on how vital changing the drilled discs to something like the Sebro slotted front disks before I take it out for the first few days. It may be something that I would like to do later on after a few days but do you think there is a risk that I will see some cracking with just a few days on track? @Dougle_turbo I have seen your YouTube video where you talk about those discs so would be interested how many days you did on the standard drilled ones before you changed those. 

On 24/01/2023 at 12:15, jsavage said:

First year of track days I did in my 987.2S was on the standard pads and discs. So long as you drive with a degree of mechanical sympathy and realising that you’re not competitively racing on a track day, and that your pads and discs are well above minimum thicknesses, they will be fine. 

if you’ve never tracked before I would suggest you spend your money on tuition rather than pads etc. learning how to drive well on track will make you quicker in the long run and ‘protect’ your car. 👍🏻

On 26/01/2023 at 15:37, Windymiller said:

First year of track days I did in my 987.2S was on the standard pads and discs. So long as you drive with a degree of mechanical sympathy and realising that you’re not competitively racing on a track day, and that your pads and discs are well above minimum thicknesses, they will be fine. 

if you’ve never tracked before I would suggest you spend your money on tuition rather than pads etc. learning how to drive well on track will make you quicker in the long run and ‘protect’ your car. 👍🏻

Wot 'e said!

Once you get a bit faster you may want to consider better pads but the standard equipment is fine to begin with.