sevenfourates 987.1 Meteor Grey Cayman.........

sevenfourate

1 hour ago, Craiglm68 said:

Sounds more or less the route I went S Man, look forward to seeing your pics!

Cool ! I'm really excited with all thats going on cosmetically and mechanically. Eyeing up exhausts now, so should be quite different once its all on and fitted in the New Year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tozerman said:

👍 Keen to see how these springs pan out. 

Next winter is my suspension refurbishment 🤞so watching with Interest 😁

Will do.

Got some ‘issues’ you know of.....or more preventative works ?

Merry Christmas to you and yours Tony.

Purely preventative maintenance Syer. 

No issues I know of 🤞

Although my RMS/IMS is leaking more than I'd like to be honest so will definitely get those done in the spring when it is back on the road again. 

I hope you and yours have a great festive holiday. Stay safe 👍

• Like 1

Great looking shopping trolley their Syer and thanks for the eBay link to the wheel arch edge protection strips. I’ve been wanting some since getting my front arches repainted in March - great find. Just ordered a set too 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Great looking shopping trolley their Syer and thanks for the eBay link to the wheel arch edge protection strips. I’ve been wanting some since getting my front arches repainted in March - great find. Just ordered a set too 👍🏻

Glad to help someone 🙂 You got the last set by the looks of it !

My mechanic ordered a set for a friend of mine. He said the paint wasn't awesome in those areas; but the protection strips still took really well........

• Founder

Wow! What a nice bunch of goodies! 

I know the 996 crowd really rate the Top Gear exhausts, a friend of mine has one too. Exceptionally well made, particularly given the price point.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Wow! What a nice bunch of goodies! 

I know the 996 crowd really rate the Top Gear exhausts, a friend of mine has one too. Exceptionally well made, particularly given the price point.  

Should be good thankyou. Mechanicals / paint sorted last year. Now we modify !

Nice to hear the comments on the TopGear exhausts. "They" do seem to divide opinion. Most (Near all ?) bashing being borne from folks who don't have one. Those who have voted with their own feet and wallets being extremely happy 😎

Not sure if anyone can see this thread from Facebook today in which i asked about TopGear and theLliang Fei / Tiawanese tie-up - with DesignTek, Soul, TopGear, EuroCup systems all sharing the same basic design / structure. Certainly a hot-topic of debate.......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/351201258590173/permalink/1324103234633299/?comment_id=1324213241288965&reply_comment_id=1324286444614978

Edited by sevenfourate

Wow that is some list of parts 😁

Keen to see how you get on with the fitting etc and to see how it looks after 👍

£335 for a set of top mounts and bearings seems excessive to me 🤔

Fairly sure you can get sachs top mounts for less than £50 a pop.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

Wow that is some list of parts 😁

Keen to see how you get on with the fitting etc and to see how it looks after 👍

£335 for a set of top mounts and bearings seems excessive to me 🤔

Fairly sure you can get sachs top mounts for less than £50 a pop.. 

Ha ! Hi Tony. The state of behind the sofa is testament to the 'pile o parts' 😏

Yes - Sachs were originally my first port of call and looked / reports of were good. However: They are not £50 with the bearings i don't think (?) I read many advert small-print where the bearing wasn't included - despite what the pictures showed.......and that aside; to some degree in the end (Knowing the amount of labour involved to replace in "18 months" if one fails) - i decided to go with absolutely known parts. A pair (Kit) of front Meyle top mounts with bearings was £123.50+ VAT from Design911.....and Genuine rears were £153 the pair + VAT from same. Add in £5 part-postage and thats £335. Combined; that was as cheap as i could find........

But agreed it's a pretty horrific price on paper. 'Cheaper' top mounts could have been had for around £80-90 the pair on the front; and 2 x Febi rears; for around £105 all in. So perhaps £210-odd for all 4 delivered. So effectively a little over £120 difference between perhaps 'ok quality' and hopefully top notch replacements.

Seeing as my lowering springs fitting will effectively cover most of the labour costs needed to fit the top-mounts too - i thought i'd splurge on hopefully the best available. Its not just the cost of the replacement in future if one fails prematurely - its the inconvenience of losing the car, possible days off work blah blah. 

Hopefully that won't be the case now.

****** -4 outside here this Morning. No tinkering in the garage here today !!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SarlechS said:

great thread, interested to see how the exhaust sounds when its on :)

Thankyou. Need to decide what flavour exhaust i'm going for as yet and just commit to it !

Sent out a few feelers about having a custom system made locally in the last couple of days. Only downside to that is not knowing exactly how it will sound. Seeing vids / hearing other cars with known systems gives you a fair idea of course.....

Think i'm going to book in to get everything fitted 1st March or Maybe 1st April depending on how weather goes....and re-tax at that point too.

Happy New Year 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Really keen to hear how you get on here - especially with the cabin drone (or, hopefully, not!).

Seems to be very reasonable build quality for the price :) 

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hunter said:

Really keen to hear how you get on here - especially with the cabin drone (or, hopefully, not!).

Seems to be very reasonable build quality for the price :) 

You and me both. Perhaps...... ***You thinking of going for it ?

Mines not a daily, i love a bit of noise / drama (My daily is pretty fruity) and i really dont expect it to bother me. However i know any looks / fitment issues will.  We'll soon see !!

2 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

You and me both. Perhaps...... ***You thinking of going for it ?

Mines not a daily, i love a bit of noise / drama (My daily is pretty fruity) and i really dont expect it to bother me. However i know any looks / fitment issues will.  We'll soon see !!

As mine's a daily, I'm undecided on an upgrade. I've put it down the list of priorities for now, but it would be nice to have a little more fanfare - not that the stock system sounds bad when you're up in the rev range!

• Like 1