Discs & Pads for 987.2 S

Rob66

Hi folks

Just had the major service at an OPC along with Plugs and Brake Fluid.  Everything else is good but the discs are apparently heavily rusted on the inside so in the near future I will need discs and probably pads.  The OPC want silly money, can anyone recommend an alternative make and supplier please?

Thank you

Rob

I've fitted Pagid disks and Pagid or Textar pads from Euro Car Parts or their online sister company Carparts4less to several Boxsters and Caymans and they've been fine.  

To stop the discs rusting again, make sure you get some heat into the brakes before you park up at the end of a wet journey and dry the brakes after washing the car.  I've always done the latter but adopting the former completely ended the problem on my last Cayman after I had to replace the discs due to inner face corrosion.

• Like 1

Rob

i did my own. I bought Brembo disc, pads, new shims and wear sensors. 

If you wait for a europarts 50% offer. They come up every couple of week. Parts should be  less than £230. Alternatively design911. Lots of utube videos. 

There is only one bit to be careful with. The bolt that attaches the bracket where the fixed part of the hydraulic hose to the flexible joins,can shear. I had one go and had to drill and tap. One of the guys on COC gave me a top tip. Which was to replace bolts with stud and nuts so it cannot happen again.

If you are not comfortable doing yourself. Speak with a local friendly garage. Get the parts your self and its only 1.5hr work. So £75 to £100 I would have thought.

• Like 1

Original disks are Sebro (drilled, not slotted) and original pads are Textar. OPC would just fit those, but stamped with the Porsche logo. ECP often have sales on and last week I bought Sebro front disks for £135.99 for a pair (i.e. not each), including delivery. I've ordered the shims, wear sensors and caliper bolts (single use stretch bolts) from Design 911 for about £90 as they have a 10% sale on (ends today). People say you can order the same parts from OPC for less, but ordering from Design 911 saves me having to collect them from OPC. Also means you can order pattern parts, rather than Porsche original, should you want to.

Cheers,

Bryan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briggy said:

Original disks are Sebro (drilled, not slotted) and original pads are Textar. OPC would just fit those, but stamped with the Porsche logo. ECP often have sales on and last week I bought Sebro front disks for £135.99 for a pair (i.e. not each), including delivery. I've ordered the shims, wear sensors and caliper bolts (single use stretch bolts) from Design 911 for about £90 as they have a 10% sale on (ends today). People say you can order the same parts from OPC for less, but ordering from Design 911 saves me having to collect them from OPC. Also means you can order pattern parts, rather than Porsche original, should you want to.

Cheers,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

That's all great info - especially for a Porsche newbie like me.

I've just purchased a Gen1 2.7. That was noted as having slightly scored rear discs......which i intend to replace soon'ish. Do you happen to know if the Sebro were standard for the rears on Gen1's / across the range ? (I would like to replace with OE if at all possible).

Many thanks.

Edited by sevenfourate

Thanks for all the great replies guys. The OPC wanted well in excess of £1k.  I see Euro Car Parts have a sale now, they have Pagid and Brembo.  I have a great local garage I use for the MR2 so I'll pick up the parts and ask them to fit for me.

Thanks again

6 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

I've fitted Pagid disks and Pagid or Textar pads from Euro Car Parts or their online sister company Carparts4less to several Boxsters and Caymans and they've been fine.  

To stop the discs rusting again, make sure you get some heat into the brakes before you park up at the end of a wet journey and dry the brakes after washing the car.  I've always done the latter but adopting the former completely ended the problem on my last Cayman after I had to replace the discs due to inner face corrosion.

Cheers Woodhouse, I think you're spot on, the car was sat for a while prior to my purchase no doubt with wet discs. 

After washing the wheels I always go for a quick spin, but then notice a lot of rust coloured dust on the inner rims so just use a quick detailer to remove.

Edited by Rob66
Spelling

2 hours ago, Rob66 said:

Cheers Woodhouse, I think you're spot on, the car was sat for a while prior to my purchase no doubt with wet discs. 

After washing the wheels I always go for a quick spin, but then notice a lot of rust coloured dust on the inner rims so just use a quick detailer to remove.

You need this then Rob: AWESOME stuff; and gets ridiculously good reviews everywhere inc Detailing World. And from me......😎 Orange haze from the first touch of the brakes is a thing of the past......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilt-Hamber-Atom-Mac-Corrosion-Inhibitor-300ml-Car-Van-Truck-Rust-Treatment/182922745761?epid=9014537280&hash=item2a970b97a1:g:AFMAAOSwhE9bgUF9

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

You need this then Rob: AWESOME stuff; and gets ridiculously good reviews everywhere inc Detailing World. And from me......😎 Orange haze from the first touch of the brakes is a thing of the past......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilt-Hamber-Atom-Mac-Corrosion-Inhibitor-300ml-Car-Van-Truck-Rust-Treatment/182922745761?epid=9014537280&hash=item2a970b97a1:g:AFMAAOSwhE9bgUF9

Cheers Seven had seen that on DW, thanks for recommending will give it a go.

• Like 1

Also try:

carparts4less.co.uk

onlinecarparts.co.uk

both can often be cheaper than eurocarparts if you catch the sales right.

Eg right now textar front pads (textar are the OE fit) are ~£75 on CP4L and ~£58 on OLCP. 

Sebro (drilled) are very good discs for road and light track use - there’s various forums debate whether they are / are not OE fit (some suggest Zimmerman are OE), but if they are not OE, then they are just as good quality. Rears should not cost you anymore than £180 for the pair (supply only).  

Beginning of this year i had my rear pads (textar) and discs (sebro drilled) fitted at Porschacare and it took Matt there 45 minutes to do the job. 

Welcome to the COC matey 🏎👍🏻😁

Jason

Edited by Windymiller

On 28/07/2019 at 09:34, briggy said:

Original disks are Sebro (drilled, not slotted) and original pads are Textar. OPC would just fit those, but stamped with the Porsche logo. ECP often have sales on and last week I bought Sebro front disks for £135.99 for a pair (i.e. not each), including delivery. I've ordered the shims, wear sensors and caliper bolts (single use stretch bolts)

ARGH are they actually single use stretch bolts?! that makes it a £150 instead of a £50 one! 😫

8 hours ago, Spykee said:

ARGH are they actually single use stretch bolts?! that makes it a £150 instead of a £50 one! 😫

Single use my arse. Bit of loctite and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Single use my arse. Bit of loctite and you'll be fine.

I disagree. See https://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/cayman_s_(987)/f6-3.4l/brakes_and_traction_control/disc_brake_system/brake_rotor/disc/component_information/service_and_repair/front/page_2010/

Also, at £3.83 each (2 per caliper, so 8 per car) at https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod6780/Brake-Caliper-Mounting-Bolts--90006729209--99906704109--99906704101/ it's hardly going to break the bank.

Cheers,

Bryan

1 hour ago, briggy said:

I was being a bit flippant, my point is more 'if you forget to buy the bolts, don't panic' The old ones will be fine until the replacements arrive.

I'll see if I can order them through 9Apart. They're normally good with genuine parts and manage to under cut the dealer by about 10%. Thanks for the clarification.