Making the best of an annoying situation - colour coding my centre console

So, on my third day of driving the car, the gear linkage decided to throw a fit. Good news is, it’s covered under warranty, so whilst annoying, it’s not costing me money. 

In order to replace it, the garage are having to remove the centre console. Mine looks slightly knackered (the rubber/plastic looks patchy) so I’m having it stripped and sprayed. My car is artic silver, so I figured I’d match that to brighten up the interior a little.

I’m having a last minute ‘would piano black look better’ moment. What do people think?

I think colour-coding the same as your exterior colour would be a little "too much" as its a fairly big area - a lot of which shows......

As far as Piano Black goes - if it were me i'd be more akin to go with a Satin type shade.

Thought about perhaps having it wrapped or even Hydro-dipped as an alternative ?

My centre console and cup holder strip is colour coded to match my Guards red Gen 2 , and I personally think it brightens up the dark interior.

but hey it’s your choice,Piano  Gloss black would be a finger print nightmare, maybe satin or carbon fibre would look good

8 hours ago, Hutch259 said:

My centre console and cup holder strip is colour coded to match my Guards red Gen 2 , and I personally think it brightens up the dark interior.

but hey it’s your choice,Piano  Gloss black would be a finger print nightmare, maybe satin or carbon fibre would look good

Apologies for not expanding my thoughts. When I mentioned wrapping or Hydro dipping: a kind of faux carbon fibre look was my thought too. Although anything or any pattern you can dream up is possible - but I suspect in terms of dipping - that the whole carbon look is the most popular by far.  

And theres a myriad of Carbon weaves / patterns / styles out there so it can be as bold or subtle as you choose......

Or what about having one finished in Alcantara ? That would be an original thing to do, nice feeling / ‘warmer’ than paint etc, in context - I think - in terms of what the car is: and not too in your face.

**My centre console sole has a few marks on too. And is something I will 100% tackle in the future.  So I’ll be interested to see where you go and how it turns out Jon.

Good luck !

Soooo, I’m picking the car up tomorrow but the dealer has sent a photo to me of the console. I thought I’d give silver a go (the Rs had colour coded consoles so why not eh? It’s factory, ish...)

I quite like it, but will reserve judgement until I see it in person. Chances are I’ll grt the old one wrapped in leather (it’s only money 😬). 

AC6970B0-55BD-4335-9C2D-40169B548A8E.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jon Panayi said:

AC6970B0-55BD-4335-9C2D-40169B548A8E.jpeg

I think it looks great 👍🏻

As you say the R has colour-coding, and i found my S with various interior trim pieces (cupholder strip, gear-gaitor surround, rear parcel-shelf cubby holes) exterior paint coded, but strangely not the centre console. 

Having removed my console a cpuple of weeks back relatively easily I’ve thought I’d like to colour code it over the winter whilst off the road. 

Ive been quoted £220 for removal, paint and refit. As I’m now comfortable doing the removal and fit myself I wonder how much the painting alone would cost - what have you paid for the colour-coding if you’re willing to say on here?

cheers, Jason

D5BD495C-387D-4834-B8D5-A32BB6F4428A.jpeg

Edited by Windymiller

Thanks Jason,

Happy to share - I paid £175 for the paint, but bear in mind the base console was from an R so didn’t have the rubberised finish which I imagine is a total pain to remove. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jon Panayi said:

Thanks Jason,

Happy to share - I paid £175 for the paint, but bear in mind the base console was from an R so didn’t have the rubberised finish which I imagine is a total pain to remove. 

Thanks for sharing Jon 👍🏻

13 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

More pictures of all the trim in white please. I have been wanting to do this for ages. The rear trim in white looks ace. 

As requested....

I just don’t know why the original buyer didn’t spec my centre console in white too, when he did all the other bits. 

And yes, the rear parcel shelf surround trim does look good in body colour (AND adds 10BHP.... 😉👍🏻)

4233F3D3-861E-42AA-990C-337663B5D601.jpeg

F47540EE-2C84-4B5C-8C27-0DDABED20726.jpeg

04AAD3A4-6893-472F-8391-022C6FF689BD.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

THIS [Centre console re-finishing] is going to be one of my Winter projects. Along with re-finishing of either side lower plastic door sill protectors: that inevitably get scraped up too.

How has the centre console stood up to wear and tear for those that have had it painted / colour co-ordinated ?

Anyone else gone a different route (Mine's a Gen1 - so has that soft-touch type rubberised (?) finish as standard) - but wondering if anyone has gone Alcantara,or  perhaps Leather ?

Any other finishes or ideas worth considering ?

25 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

Looks nice. But s**t me £1600 😖

I know. Insane ! Not my thoughts on a budget. However gorgeous it is.

***My local and fabulous leather guy refinished a pair of Recaro CS seats for me in very high quality leather for around £700; for reference on the above price 😙

I may well speak to him; but do still really fancy ‘painting’ at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting mine hydro-dipped with a carbon fibre effect the lacquered. Looks to be around £120.

Painting looks good but it will still get scratched and chipped, especially if someone hits it with a seat belt buckle!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

I'm looking at getting mine hydro-dipped with a carbon fibre effect the lacquered. Looks to be around £120.

Painting looks good but it will still get scratched and chipped, especially if someone hits it with a seat belt buckle!

Carbon dipped will be ace  !  Good price that too imo - if you can get it.  A lot cheaper than around here. No competition that’s why....

Hydro dipping was always a potential choice. Just fancying a  near stick look here - there wasn’t much point hydro dipping standard satin black !

**And sorry if I wasn’t 100% clear. When I speak about ‘painting’ - that was presuming on standard base coat, paint and then lacquer to protect  So essentially same ‘ finish’ as you’d achieve with hydro dipping. I would never dream of paint only.....

Edited by sevenfourate