Keeping past 10 years

Liongolfer

My CS will be 10 years next April and I'm toying around with keeping her for quite a while more.  I've done a major service with PDK oil change included last year.

To give her a makeover, Im thinking of the following:

1.  Carnewal GT Exhaust

2.  Carnewal 200 cel cats

3.  FVD tune after the carnewal hard ware is in.

4.  Some stripes

Any suggestions for what else to do?  The car is basically stock and I don't fancy lowering her as she's a great daily driver and getting in and out at existing height is already getting more challenging 🙂

Also, with the tune, cat and exhaust, what can I really expect in terms of bhp and torque gain.  Won;t be bothered to dyno her.

Lastly, anything I should look out for maintenance wise for a 2010 CS?  Coming to 65000km.

Thanks.

Carnewal GT is a definite but how about the Short Shift Kit?  Really made a difference for me, not very expensive and you can fit yourself without too much hassle.

Another thought I have is to have a straight through done with my stock muffler (don't know how but am told it can be done), get the Carnewal 200 cell cat and the FVD tune.  I believe power wise, it should be the same as if I used the Carnewal GT exhaust as the muffler doesn;t add much power only sound (from what I read)?

Or I am reading going to a 200 cell cat while staying with stick muffler will, apart from some bhp and torque gains, also result in a louder exhaust note? 

This novice needs your experience.

Thanks.

My 10p worth. Get the 200 cel cats and the exhaust done at the same time. I'm pleased with the exhaust by Gert but will def go for the cats next as I am told this is really the only way to get more power plus should sound even better.

5 hours ago, crafty1 said:

My 10p worth. Get the 200 cel cats and the exhaust done at the same time. I'm pleased with the exhaust by Gert but will def go for the cats next as I am told this is really the only way to get more power plus should sound even better.

Thanks for chiming in.

I'm leaning now towards the 200 cel cats and tune first. I understand this will give the small power bump I;m looking for.  Sound wise, cats are supposed to increase sound as well.  If the local mod and 200 cell cats don;t do enough sound wise, then I can go Carnewal GT exhaust.  This also won;t affect the tune which already caters for the 200 cel cats.  I'm told by FVD that a plus stage tune is not required for just the GT exhaust as the muffler on its own won't bring any power increase.

I’ll be in the exact same position as you next March with a 10yo CS. 

Other than a major service and a pre-emotive gearbox oil change (not actually due till year 12!) I’ll just have a detailed inspection of all suspension components incl top-mounts and all bushes for wear/splitting and replace anything that’s ‘aged’. 

Maybe fit the stuttgart Classica gear-linkage clamps as a preventative measure for 10yo gear-cables? Currently on sale at £60+VAT and free P&P (far cheaper than design911!)

https://www.stuttgart-classica.co.uk/water-cooledparts/gear-cable-camps

Easy to self-fit if you have a pair of axle stands, did mine earlier this month. 

All pads and discs have been replaced this year and had a new clutch and DMF, so cant think of anything else ‘likely’ to wear out and she still seems to have plenty of life in her for a 10yo car 🏎😁👍🏻

Id like to update the PCM software (£???) and then do the 2018 maps update (£270 at OPC Silverstone), but it’s a lotta money just some new maps. 

With some TLC these cars do seem to last well. 👍🏻

• Like 1

All my clouds have been changed.  I'll need a change to pads and discs soon as well as suspension mounts and bushings which probably need immediate replacement.

Will also need new ps2s.  I was thinking about going to 19s for the new ps4s but have now decided against that.

I'll definitely be adding the fvd tune.  Just deciding now if I should add carnewal 200 cell sports cats for a bit more power and sound but am reading the small increase in power from cars is only at the high end of the range and I don't track.

On 28/09/2019 at 08:14, Windymiller said:

Maybe fit the stuttgart Classica gear-linkage clamps as a preventative measure for 10yo gear-cables? Currently on sale at £60+VAT and free P&P (far cheaper than design911!)

https://www.stuttgart-classica.co.uk/water-cooledparts/gear-cable-camps

Easy to self-fit if you have a pair of axle stands, did mine earlier this month. 

****As an aside to this thread - many thanks for the link to the gear-linkage clamps. I'm sure i'll be needing sometime; or perhaps i might just 'invest' anyway as a preventative measure.

Interesting topic on the possible future status (And values) of 987's. Common consensus on tinternet seems to be that 987.1's may be a long time / never really increase due to the huge numbers produced. The financial downturn and hugely decreased sales / manufacture of 987.2's; making them a much more likely first candidate - for somewhat classic stature.

Personally i hope the (Possibly very educated in such matters) naysayers are wrong 🤣

Well, that's partly why I'm holding onto my 987.2  in that its the last NA and non-electric steering cayman.... but mainly its a great ride and daily driver and touch wood.. has been good to me for the past 3.5 years.

I'm starting to wonder what to do about mine.

I have a 987.1 S Manual that's hitting 97.5k now, and I'm starting to wonder if I fancy a change after a few years. I'm almost at the point where everything is 100%, it's had suspension refresh, carnewhal GT exhaust, new clutch, replaced all the brake lines/pipes, new rear disks/pads, short shift kit, crossover pipes, wheel refurb (about to happen). At it's age and mileage it'll be very difficult to sell, even though the car is super strong now. I also got a decent spec, heated seats, extended leather and PASM where musts. Just completely torn between taking a bath at trade in for something, trying to sell privately, or keeping. I think all three are alright options, but I'll always feel like I made the wrong one!

Edited by mike3105