WEVO Semi-Solid Engine/Trans mounts

Frayz

Morning all,

Looking at tightening up the drivetrain movement on my Cayman R. A pair of these came up at a decent price in the US so i have them on the way.

Just wondering if anyone on our side of the pond has used them or have any feedback on uprated mounts for our cars?

https://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-BoxsterSSTransMounts.htm

As extanker says, I would be steering clear of any kind of solid mounts for an everyday or weekend car.  Sole track car, then go for it.

I personally value my spinal comfort over the benefits of solid mounts; even on track.

• Like 1

It’s not my daily. It’s my weekend fun car and the mounts are not solid. They call them semi solid as they’re a polyurethane mount similar to a powerflex type item. 

I certainly wouldn’t be ditching my own parts either. Just wondering if anyone else has used them?

3 hours ago, Frayz said:

It’s not my daily. It’s my weekend fun car and the mounts are not solid. They call them semi solid as they’re a polyurethane mount similar to a powerflex type item. 

I certainly wouldn’t be ditching my own parts either. Just wondering if anyone else has used them?

I know what poly mounts are ;) whether they're marketed as semi solid or not, they're going to be harsh for road driving. If it's not a track car, then I simply wouldn't do it.

I doubt there are many owners out there buying these unless the cars are used for track.  I think there's a track car build thread on here somewhere?  Maybe worth a prowl.

I would invest the money in a suspension geometry alignment, some track day tyres or an IPD plenum and map if you want a bit more go (did this on my own CR - gets rid of the mid range flatness).  Engine mounts should be so far down the list, IMO.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

My car isn’t stock, currently has the following:

EVOMs intake

IPD Plenum

83mm GT3 throttle body

Fabspeed headers 200cell cats

Remus titanium exhaust

MASE engineering bespoke map. 

GT3 master cylinder 

GT3 brake ducts

Giro discs all round

Titaniums shims

Pagid RS29s all round

HEL braided hoses & PF fluid

RSS Tarmac series LCAs

Titanium wheel bolts

Cup2 tyres

Geo by Centre Gravity. 

Like I say, I was just asking if anyone had used them and how they found them. 

Thanks anyway 🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Frayz said:

Thanks guys. 

EVOMs intake

IPD Plenum

83mm GT3 throttle body

Remus titanium exhaust

GT3 master cylinder 

GT3 brake ducts

Giro discs all round

Titaniums shims

Pagid RS29s all round

RSS Tarmac series LCAs

Titanium wheel bolts

Cup2 tyres

Geo by Centre Gravity. 

Thanks anyway 🙂

Great spec!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frayz said:

Thanks guys. 

EVOMs intake

IPD Plenum

83mm GT3 throttle body

Remus titanium exhaust

GT3 master cylinder 

GT3 brake ducts

Giro discs all round

Titaniums shims

Pagid RS29s all round

RSS Tarmac series LCAs

Titanium wheel bolts

Cup2 tyres

Geo by Centre Gravity. 

Thanks anyway 🙂

Just stating my opinion... It's your car after all, and you can do whatever you want with it.

Sounds like a spec that needs to be driven and enjoyed, not tinkered with further. :) It isn't quite the right weather at the moment but I've made the mistake with the desire to mod over the desire to drive, and the desire to drive always worked out better in the end.

You've reached the top of the hill, don't start going back down the other side! 👍

• Like 1

Frayz, one mod you not have thought about is an RSS harness bar. Obviously I fitted mine so I could run a harness, but it has another great benefit that didn't even cross my mind until I drove the car, and that's the added rigidity. I could feel a difference in the car right away.

Funny you say that, i have actually considered one but im put off by the fact of running harnesses in a road car without a roll hoop. If it had a hoop i would fit harnesses, as I've actually got a spare set of new Schroths i could drop in.

Just the lack of hoop bothers me a little.

Interesting to hear it improved the feel of the structure significantly that it could be felt. I would have assumed that section of the car was already pretty rigid. Thanks for the response :)

You could try the 993 RS engine mounts (transmission mounts for the mid engined cars). They are stiffer than stock but not too much so. 

I had them fitted on my old boxster and they made a noticeable difference without any significant NVH (there was some but I got used to it very quickly). 

On track they tightened everything up

• Like 1

I can't speak for the Wevo mounts but I have fitted the functionfirst semi-semi solid transmission mounts and yellow engine insert mount on my car and like them. Positives are a) drivetrain feels more taught and engine not moving around on track, steering feel, throttle response and gear change all improved and finally less wheel hop when rears spin up.

Downside is is increase in NVH, particularly around 2,000-2,500 rpm but I am used to it now and the engine note has changed, it's less turbine smooth and a little harsher now. Overall though I like it and it's easily reversed.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 08:07, Frayz said:

Funny you say that, i have actually considered one but im put off by the fact of running harnesses in a road car without a roll hoop. If it had a hoop i would fit harnesses, as I've actually got a spare set of new Schroths i could drop in.

Just the lack of hoop bothers me a little.

Interesting to hear it improved the feel of the structure significantly that it could be felt. I would have assumed that section of the car was already pretty rigid. Thanks for the response :)

I was surprised as well, it hadn't even occurred to me that it would make any difference but I could definitely feel it straight away.

I don't understand the concern of not having a roll hoop and running harnesses. If the roof collapses in on you I think you're toast, regardless of being in a harness or a seatbelt. I don't see how it the type of seat belt would make any difference. The biggest danger about rolling a car is coming out of the seat belt and going out of the window, something a harness will prevent.

23 hours ago, crafty1 said:

I can't speak for the Wevo mounts but I have fitted the functionfirst semi-semi solid transmission mounts and yellow engine insert mount on my car and like them. Positives are a) drivetrain feels more taught and engine not moving around on track, steering feel, throttle response and gear change all improved and finally less wheel hop when rears spin up.

Downside is is increase in NVH, particularly around 2,000-2,500 rpm but I am used to it now and the engine note has changed, it's less turbine smooth and a little harsher now. Overall though I like it and it's easily reversed.

Have you got a link to the mounts used? I've been thinking about beefing/refreshening mine. They must be past their best. 

24 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I was surprised as well, it hadn't even occurred to me that it would make any difference but I could definitely feel it straight away.

I don't understand the concern of not having a roll hoop and running harnesses. If the roof collapses in on you I think you're toast, regardless of being in a harness or a seatbelt. I don't see how it the type of seat belt would make any difference. The biggest danger about rolling a car is coming out of the seat belt and going out of the window, something a harness will prevent.

Basically a properly fitted set of harneses will not allow your body to move in the event of any impact. If the roof comes down with you in a 3 point belt then there is a degree of play, with a harness you obviously have a lot less to play with and your head is firmly held above the height of your seat.

Granted its unlikely in any event, as like you say, im sure there are bigger things to worry about in that circumstance. Just something ive never liked the idea of myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Have you got a link to the mounts used? I've been thinking about beefing/refreshening mine. They must be past their best. 

Gearbox mount

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/trans-mount-upgrade

Engine mount (yellow)

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/engine-mount-insert

• Like 1

I've been reading this thread with interest as I've recently changed my engine / gearbox mounts to the RSS ones, but hadn't heard of Function First, they seem to be good value. The RSS make a noticeable difference on track and on the road especially over the bumps at Castle Combe, however there is a strange vibration occasionally off throttle that wasn't there on the old clapped out mounts... Any ideas?

Also on the roll bar / harness debate: I'm strange and have both the RSS harness bar and a half cage. The harness bar alone definitely can be felt, but adding the cage as well makes the whole car feel more tight. It's difficult to describe it, but you basically know its there doing something. I just hope it won't be required.   

• Like 1