Cayman 987.1 3.4S remap?

Hi.

I'm relatively new on here having bought a Cayman 987.1 S just before lockdown. The car was a great spec running PARR engine rebuild, KW clubsports , latter wheels, MPS3's, buckets, GT3 shifter, Eibach lower arms, Carnewal GT, retrim etc..

I've since added BMc filter, desnork, stainless equal length headers and AWE x pipe tips..

I tried IPD plenum/82mm throttle but was disappointed and it felt slower and less responsive so removed it all and sold it on... Having spoken to a few owners and a good dyno guy I can see this is not uncommon..Apparently the stock ECU cannot compensate enough to meet the increased volumetric air flow and the plenum ramp can prevent scavenging from opposite inlet etc..? 

I'm looking at remaps and understand there's not a lot to be found re extra power if car is standard so with just header/silencer mods I doubt there will be much to gain either in terms of max power. The question I have is what can you expect in terms of,

- better power/torque curves at lower rev

- reducing flat spots

- making the car more responsive

- improving throttle response

Is it worth doing? My plan is a live dyno, probably at Chipwizards as Wayne has a good reputation.

Any thoughts or experiences welcome..

Thanks,

Ed

8 hours ago, Edmundo2 said:

Hi.

I'm relatively new on here having bought a Cayman 987.1 S just before lockdown. The car was a great spec running PARR engine rebuild, KW clubsports , latter wheels, MPS3's, buckets, GT3 shifter, Eibach lower arms, Carnewal GT, retrim etc..

I've since added BMc filter, desnork, stainless equal length headers and AWE x pipe tips..

I tried IPD plenum/82mm throttle but was disappointed and it felt slower and less responsive so removed it all and sold it on... Having spoken to a few owners and a good dyno guy I can see this is not uncommon..Apparently the stock ECU cannot compensate enough to meet the increased volumetric air flow and the plenum ramp can prevent scavenging from opposite inlet etc..? 

I'm looking at remaps and understand there's not a lot to be found re extra power if car is standard so with just header/silencer mods I doubt there will be much to gain either in terms of max power. The question I have is what can you expect in terms of,

- reducing flat spots

Is it worth doing? My plan is a live dyno, probably at Chipwizards as Wayne has a good reputation.

Thanks,

Ed

NOT a like-for-like comparison Ed, but;

Ive had my base 2.7 re-mapped and while you might gain a few BHP - often fairly high up the Rev-range.....the latter 3 points

”- reducing flat spots

- improving throttle response”

....and real-World daily drive-ability is where you’ll gain.  I say this not just from my experience of my Caymans difference. But from also having had remaps on 3 other ‘high reviving’ normally aspirated performance cars.

One - that on paper only gained approx 7% improved BHP and torque figures; but on the road went from feeling like a high reviving 2 litre screamer to somewhat of a Turbo diesel. The crispness, extra eagerness / throttle response in the lower end of the Rev range being the real gain. No more stirring of the gearstick needed to make decent progress......

You don’t get much for your buck on a N/A car - and no pound for pound mods will perform like the same on a forced induction variant. But: in my opinion wholly worth doing - especially in terms of the points you mention and I guess are looking to improve on. I’d be very surprised if you were disappointed.

Just research your tuner / claims / warranty etc as normal !!

Good luck.

11 hours ago, Edmundo2 said:

Hi.

- reducing flat spots

Thanks,

Ed

Lets see some pictures Ed! Sounds like a great spec car, and it must sound awesome with those headers!

Very surprised that the IPD plenum didn't delivery any gains for you. When I added my IPD and 82mm TB the car felt immediately stronger, then I had it remapped at DMS in Southampton (rolling road remap) and the car is now running 370+ BHP and can outdrag a 981 S with PDK and sports chrono. Perhaps there was an air leak on one of the seals on the inlet?

Thanks gents. I'll get some photos up soon  ( not had time to get many yet )..

Here's a few taken by the previous owner but none with new tips and photos a bit big so need to reduce size..

It does sound pretty wicked at 6500 rpm!

Look forward to seeing pics of your beastie! And another for DMS from my side ....you'll see the odd negative review online re DMS, but my experience was positive. I've only gone the Carnewal GT exhaust route and an after market air filter, but after DMS did their bit and supplied the obligatory graph (numbers normally grossed up via a multiplier to give "at engine" figures), I went to Regal Motorsport also on the coast, and 3 runs returned 310-312 bhp at the wheels. Certainly the mid range torque is more noticeable, and as others have said, the top end benefits from extra oomph.

And now most of us are about to desnork and put on some dapper 3D grills, we'll all be sure to see another 40hp 😄

Just noticed the top image that I edited/flipped when messing about trying to reduce the size enough to upload...- doesnt work too well when your car has a decal on it !

Yes thanks. I think it has a GT sort of look in terms of stance and filling arches etc and looking OEM. I recently noticed the wheel design appears to be influenced by the Carrera GT wheel but with 5 studs instead of centre lock..Heights and geo is as per CR. I think the only other exterior mod I could be tempted by is the very small/subtle composite creations lip/splitter. All others I've seen are too big..

Otherwise I think Re-map, Gt3 MC, Rennline throttle pedal are the other likely mods next.

Longer term an LSD and lightweight flywheel possibly? If it goes bang a 3.9!

Will try to get some sound clips done..

7 minutes ago, Edmundo2 said:

Yes thanks. I think it has a GT sort of look in terms of stance and filling arches etc and looking OEM. I recently noticed the wheel design appears to be influenced by the Carrera GT wheel but with 5 studs instead of centre lock..Heights and geo is as per CR. I think the only other exterior mod I could be tempted by is the very small/subtle composite creations lip/splitter. All others I've seen are too big..

Otherwise I think Re-map, Gt3 MC, Rennline throttle pedal are the other likely mods next.

Longer term an LSD and lightweight flywheel possibly? If it goes bang a 3.9!

Will try to get some sound clips done..

Hi all,

Had remap and there is a thread a while back, but I am thinking of going down the 3.9 route.The CS is fast but not by todays cars, a golf r will give it a run for its money up to 150mph and to get a good 911 with a performance jump your looking at 10-15k on top of my car and I don't know the car inside out like my own.

Dean

• Like 1

Yep 3.9 could be magic..

Theres lots of stuff out there that's way quicker but I'm not really concerned above 100mph as it's a road car and for me the car is more about being enjoyable as a whole if you know what I mean. The Porsche thing re quality, noise, balance, etc..

The 3.9 would be fab as I'm sure it would make a big difference below 100mph as much as it would above it..

Incidentally on the subject of big engines in small cars, I was hillclimbing a small gsxr engined single seater for the last 10 years before buying the croc this year. Just got this through on twitter re the latest star car from the top class.. 700bhp in 410kgs..😬

Edited by Edmundo2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well its booked in with Wayne Schofield/Chipwizards for remap three weeks today. 4 hours on the dyno booked. I know as standard there's not much power to be gained but reports of better power curves with flat spots reduced and throttle improved which would be great.

My car has bmc filter, equal length 200 cel headers, and Carnewal GT silencers so hoping there's a bit more to be gained from mapping..

Will feed back in due course..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eponymoose said:

My understanding is that the headers on the 3.4 are particularly poor, so I think you should be able to make good gains given you have upgraded headers. The other bits I doubt will make any difference, but with a remap I'd be surprised (assuming healthy engine) you weren't getting at least 15hp up top from the headers.

I believe the 3.4 has the same heads as the larger M97 engines, so the intake side is pretty good. It's primarily the headers that restrict power at high revs, again I believe. This may contribute to the IPD plenum returning poor results. If the headers are very restrictive, no amount of imrpovement on the intake side is going to do much at the top end.

Depends: 987.1 and 987.2 have different set ups.  987.1 has 2 cats in the headers and 2 in the catback. 987.2 has all 4 cats in the headers.......so more gains to be had with just headers alone, while on the GEN1 best is change the whole exhaust. 

1 hour ago, eponymoose said:

OP's car is a gen one, so I was talking about a gen one and indeed specified M97.

Indeed, but valuable informations are always good to have on a forum. Someone could be googling that and learn something new 😛

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrea said:

Depends: 987.1 and 987.2 have different set ups.  987.1 has 2 cats in the headers and 2 in the catback. 987.2 has all 4 cats in the headers.......so more gains to be had with just headers alone, while on the GEN1 best is change the whole exhaust. 

On the money.  The exhaust mods will make much more gains than an intake or IPD plenum.  There is always the cost of noise with exhaust mods and that can be a problem for some.

Here's hoping. Re the exhaust I wanted it loud in a 70's LeMans kind of vibe. I have to say the combo Ive arrived at is just about perfect to my mind. It's fairly quiet at idle but with a noticeable edge vs stock. Theres no booming on the move and you can drive it quietly with relaxed cruising etc by just keeping it in a high gear but it really sings above 4k..

Will let you know how the remap goes..