Hi all 

advice please 

I have a sept 2006 987.1 with 27500 miles 1 previous owner 

I’ve had a Carnawall GT exhaust fitted and a K & N air filter 

remapped by Dynomap and I’ve fitted 981 18” alloys with 7mm spacers all round 

I’m thinking about lowering the car with H & R springs 

Has anyone tried them ? 

Is it worth the money ?
Does it improve the handling as well as the looks ?

Scott

hi

fitting H and R springs to my 987 when i owned it transformed the handling and well worth the effort to fit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scott1967 said:

Will it make a difference if I have the 18” wheels and 45mm profiles?

mostofyou look to have 19” wheels 

What kind of difference do you refer to? Overall diameter of the wheels is the same. Do you refer to difference in look or difference in handling?  Handling differences is something you experience close to the limit and most track/race cars run on 18" anyway. 

If you refer to look then again this is subjective and depend on the style of the rim. A OEM rim looks better as 19" in my option, but a more track focused rim style looks WAY better as 18"....

Edited by Andrea
  • Like 1

I’m more concerned with the 235-45-18 and 265-45-18 tyre touching the arch if I’m lowering the car by 35mm

should I change to a 35 or 40 wall?

Assuming that they are similar spring rates to the 986 M030 springs, my concern is that the front/rear balance may be a little off (I think they are *relatively* softer on the rear). The folks over on boxa.net seem to like them on the boxster though... 

1 hour ago, Scott1967 said:

I’m more concerned with the 235-45-18 and 265-45-18 tyre touching the arch if I’m lowering the car by 35mm

should I change to a 35 or 40 wall?

First of all I doubt you are running /45 wall. the 18" run on /40.

The overall diameter doesn't change from 18" or 19", in one you have less rim but more side wall and in the other you have more rim and less side wall.   Don't play around with side walls otherwise you start getting problems with ABS, final gear reduction, chassis rake. 

35mm isn't that much really and you won't be scrubbing the arches. If you had 11" rim and 45mm drop like on coilers then I'd be worried.....

10 hours ago, Scott1967 said:

That’s the ones I was looking at 

I’ll keep you posted lenny

im looking at 15mm spacers on the rear and 7mm on the front 

That's the  setup I have, recommended by Gert at Carnewal, who can provide the spacers (H&R), combined with the H&R springs which lower the car by approx 30mm. I love it, looks and handing both greatly improved. Car should have come out of the factory like this IMO! 😁

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ben said:

That's the  setup I have, recommended by Gert at Carnewal, who can provide the spacers (H&R), combined with the H&R springs which lower the car by approx 30mm. I love it, looks and handing both greatly improved. Car should have come out of the factory like this IMO! 😁

Are these the h&r m030 springs? Do they change the understeer/oversteer characteristics? 

Yes they are the M030, l would  say the car feels much more planted than before, so corners flatter and faster. I think some say the spacers reduce oversteer but I haven't experienced that, although I don't track the car.