Anyone done 987.2 manifolds?

Aaron

Hi guys

My exhaust is blowing between the manifold and boxes, so obviously an upgrade at the same time is required... Has anyone tackled the manifolds DIY?  I know the studs can be unpredictable, but I plan on inspecting them for corrosion ahead of time.  I'm well aware of the manifold to boxes joint and the challenges there.

Cheers

Very interested in this topic.

My manifold to back box are not blowing (yet) but will need doing soon. They look awful and are soaking in penetrating fluid as I write this.

Inspected the manifold to block bolts today and they seem OK but sure I’d break one or two if attempting to remove.

I'm debating DIY or outsourcing it as I need to have cats welded into the manifolds I have.  It will be pretty hard to do that and for them to get the fitment right.

However, I may just fit them myself and just have them to weld the cats in.  I am undecided until I take a look at the condition of everything, which I'll likely do this weekend.

The studs can break easily or you might be lucky.

It's a very tortuous job to drill them out properly , you need the Stomski jig or make something up like I did to ensure you're drilling dead square and bang in the middle.

I had 8 of the 12 snap on my Boxster so be warned.

The bolts between th 987.1 and 987.2 are different; not sure if this has any relevance.

987.1:

987_Boxster_Cayman_Sport_Header_Install_

image.png.61d5cb866c8b7522db91dc158c098233.png

This may be irrelevant, but it could point to them being more resilient against corrosion and heat cycling.

not sure how much help this it to you but i spoke to two local indys in my area to quote me on how much they would charge to replace my headers i got one quote at £300 (on the basis it all comes off easy) another was £420 again (on the basis it comes off easy)

I've had a price of £400 for supply and fit of 200 cell cats to the manifolds.  Need to lock-in a fitting price for swapping the manifolds but want to look at it myself first.

I've pulled my right pectoral which is extremely inconvenient, so I haven't been able to look at it this weekend.

21 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I've had a price of £400 for supply and fit of 200 cell cats to the manifolds.  Need to lock-in a fitting price for swapping the manifolds but want to look at it myself first.

I've pulled my right pectoral which is extremely inconvenient, so I haven't been able to look at it this weekend.

For HJS cats?  That's really really cheap... 

52 minutes ago, Liongolfer said:

For HJS cats?  That's really really cheap... 

I have been using this exhaust place for 10 years.  It has its perks. :D

Car went on the ramp and we had a look.  The joint is just made of rust.  That's going to be a pig.

The manifold bolts look in pretty reasonable shape.  They aren't showing any signs of severe corrosion, just a bit of spotting here and there.  Underneath may be different, of course.  Initial thoughts are reasonably confident that they might come out OK.  I will purchase new bolts just to cover my bases.

I'm going to outsource the job to them as the price was reasonable (as always) and there's a lot of custom work involved to get the cats on the manifolds.  It would simply make no financial sense for me to do this myself and then have them to fit the cats.

They are fully booked at the moment and will be holding this out until the winter as a little Christmas present to myself. :D

• 1 month later...

Manifolds purchased.  They will be here tomorrow.

Will book the car in for Dec, with pictures and exhaust notes to follow!  The manifolds have no cat but I will have a 300 cell cat welded into each side.

First "mod" to the car in 3.5 years; I finally get to reap the full benefits of my remap, too!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SarlechS said:

which Cats did you order? HJS Motorsport?

Interested to know how many hours it takes your tech / how much you pay

Cheers

Bolts are welded in the gen2 so it requires about 1 hour for a workshop to do the job if they all come out nicely, hope this helps.

Edited by Andrea
  • Like 1

10% off at FVD...takes some of the sting out of the shitty £ to € exchange rate we have been dealt?

Tempted to grab them for my R as headers with 200 cell Cats  is the only mod I'm considering over wintner

2020-11-27 08_51_59-Facebook — Mozilla Firefox.png

8 hours ago, Andyoz said:

10% off at FVD...takes some of the sting out of the shitty £ to € exchange rate we have been dealt?

Tempted to grab them for my R as headers with 200 cell Cats  is the only mod I'm considering over wintner

2020-11-27 08_51_59-Facebook — Mozilla Firefox.png

I'm interested in changing my OEM manifolds, i was looking at Carnewal 200CEL HJS variants but I feel the 987.1 manifolds (2006-2008) are too restrictive, i wanted to get the 987.1 (2005-2006) manifold which is much less restrictive its just difficult to source. Gert said he'd make some for me if he finds them but I'm giving up hope now..

I looked at SOUL and a few other aftermarket ones but I heard fitment isn't anywhere as good as OEM plus materials are cheap and made in china

Never heard of FVD, are the reputable? how much do these go for?

Tried looking on their site but its down.

Cheers

Sandy

This is the first I'm reading or poor fitment for Soul and that its made in China.  Can you share more as Im considering their sports headers.  My understanding is its all made in the US with US steel and HJS cats. 

FVD is almost synonymous with Porsche when it comes to mods.

Edited by Liongolfer

On 28/11/2020 at 03:34, Liongolfer said:

This is the first I'm reading or poor fitment for Soul and that its made in China.  Can you share more as Im considering their sports headers.  My understanding is its all made in the US with US steel and HJS cats. 

FVD is almost synonymous with Porsche when it comes to mods.

there’s quite a bit of literature on this online on various Porsche forums. The exhausts are either copied or made by a company called Liang Fei (mass produced Chinese garbage) often they offer lifetime warranty on the exhaust as it costs them peanuts to make. Not many people complain if the quality so if you only need it to last 5 years or so then you won’t have any issues at all. 

with regards to fitment there is a video on YouTube by MAXREVS.. he has a fairly big cayman channel, he owns a blue 987.2 S.

He had a SOUL fitted and I remember in the video he mentioned there were fitment issues (you’re likely to get small fitment issues with anything aftermarket!) 

I think I’m gearing towards a Carnewal to complete my system as I’m already carnewal cat back and it’s dreamy! 

On 30/11/2020 at 05:06, SarlechS said:

there’s quite a bit of literature on this online on various Porsche forums. The exhausts are either copied or made by a company called Liang Fei (mass produced Chinese garbage) often they offer lifetime warranty on the exhaust as it costs them peanuts to make. Not many people complain if the quality so if you only need it to last 5 years or so then you won’t have any issues at all. 

with regards to fitment there is a video on YouTube by MAXREVS.. he has a fairly big cayman channel, he owns a blue 987.2 S.

He had a SOUL fitted and I remember in the video he mentioned there were fitment issues (you’re likely to get small fitment issues with anything aftermarket!) 

I think I’m gearing towards a Carnewal to complete my system as I’m already carnewal cat back and it’s dreamy! 

Thanks for the share.  Will read up.  I'll also ask John from Soul about this.