Beanoir's 991 GTS

Beanoir™

• Founder
10 hours ago, Craiglm68 said:

EPIC ride there Nick. But don't worry, you can still hang out with us at meets, and we won't call you Sissy Girl or similar. Very often.

it was for this very reason that the Cayman OC was born you know, I was bullied by the Boxster boys ;) 

look forward to catching up soon mate 👍🏻

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Not sure there’s much else jumping out at me at the moment......

Save that thought; for when we fast forward 3 months and i quote it back to you......

Health to enjoy making it yours. what its all about 😎

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 06:32, Windymiller said:

Oh yes a ductail - they look (even more) great with that on. 🤩

Do it... 😜

I agree.... 

Just keep on at him until he gets one for it!

I think with it being a GTS it’s better to keep it OEM. 

If I had the choice, I’d have it naked at the back, no wing or anything, it’s such a lovely rear it doesn’t need anything in my opinion

• Founder

The ducktail is part of the AeroKit but, as @Windymiller rightly points out, it normally comes with the silly additional wing on it.  The GTS comes with the rest of the aero kit as standard, the front splitter etc.  

I do quite like the ducktail on its own, and you can get it as a part from Porsche, but it’s expensive and then requires painting too.  Probably £2k all in.  The other downside is it also deletes the black grill slats that are unique to the GTS (and 50th anniversary), and instead you have to have the louvred body coloured engine cover, which is a shame I think.   

D4C59EE9-0881-4D7D-B498-68DE1B06749D.jpeg

1CBFB687-69AE-44E3-90A5-2EE5879416D7.jpeg

• Beanoir™ changed the title to Beanoir's 991 GTS
  • Founder

I upgraded the tweeters this weekend, followed the advice of others and quite well documented in a Rennlist thread where others have done a similar mod.  

The recommended tweeters are made by a company Dayton Audio, I’ve read about them before and always highly regarded give the price point.  For £25 for the pair, I thought I’d give them a go and see.  

F8791791-39E0-4525-A686-D1B7C779049F.jpeg

They don’t come with a capacitor and the BOSE amp doesn’t have filters built into it, so I bought a couple of capacitors to do the job and soldered a speaker wire harness together with the capacitors in-line (positive side).  

FA7F63A8-E6D3-4C7B-A782-415B0457357B.jpeg

The tweeters fit perfectly into the same location as the Bose units which is the underside of the dash top speaker grill , then from there it’s a case of plugging in and popping the grill back on.  I forgot to take a photo of this step so I’ve borrowed this one (credit to the artist!) 

E712E461-415B-41E3-BB8A-313C1A6B122D.jpeg

The result is the high frequencies are much less harsh and easier to listen to for longer periods.  I do think the Bose hifi option is a bit crap on all Porsches, if I was specking from new I would probably spec a base Hi-Fi system and then spend the money on aftermarket gear.  

I should say too, this mod is probably relevant to 981/718 Cayman too 

On 10/01/2021 at 08:10, Windymiller said:

I think that the 991 GTS had the ducktail (+ some other ‘over the top of the ducktail spoiler’) as a factory option aero kit . I’ve certainly seen other with it on. 🤔

and they do look very nice with them - almost ‘retro’ 🤩

I stand corrected - it does look nice in that picture to be fair!

Nice simple mod with the tweeters 👍

17 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

The ducktail is part of the AeroKit but, as @Windymiller rightly points out, it normally comes with the silly additional wing on it.  The GTS comes with the rest of the aero kit as standard, the front splitter etc.  

I do quite like the ducktail on its own, and you can get it as a part from Porsche, but it’s expensive and then requires painting too.  Probably £2k all in.  The other downside is it also deletes the black grill slats that are unique to the GTS (and 50th anniversary), and instead you have to have the louvred body coloured engine cover, which is a shame I think.   

D4C59EE9-0881-4D7D-B498-68DE1B06749D.jpeg

1CBFB687-69AE-44E3-90A5-2EE5879416D7.jpeg

Surely the black slats can be kept along with the Ducktail?

Looks like the Ducktail follews the profile of the stock spoiler, so wouldn't cause an issue? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim, 

I just had a catch up on your 996 all in one go, then followed on to here! 
The 996 journey seems typical of the breed. Upgrades and replacements always seem to turn into sizeable remedial maintenance bills. You made all the right moves, but I totally get your feelings about it in the end. Certainly not the ideal one car garage! 

I think I’d have gone with the Eibach over H&R though. H&R always seem way harder that the on paper spring rates would suggest. 

The 991.1 GTS is a bit of a beast and seems way more suited as a special only car. 
I still remember my passenger laps at Silverstone, when I asked my instructor to show me how to do it properly. He was SO aggressive with the car and it soaked it all up effortlessly. 

have you got any plans to change anything on the car?

I still think gold wheels would look nice :) 

edit : Yes the old version P-Zero are poo!

PZ4 are way better, but still nowhere near the PS4S:)

Edited by Red5