New owner - Meteor Grey Cayman R

Meteor_CR

Welcome! 👍🏻

She’s a looka for sure, great pick of car and lovely story to read - it’s funny how many of us have a ‘seed sown’ about porker ownership that may take some / many years to germinate, but where there’s a will (or an unbridled passion 😉), theres often a way in the end... 

Enjoy the miles and smiles ahead 🏎😀

For me the 987 has aged really well, and I actually think it is my favourite shape of all the Boxster/Cayman generations and the detail changes on R just add up to something quite special.

In terms of the drive, I have only had a few journeys where I have been able to push on a bit, which generally involves getting up at the crack of dawn. I love the low centre of gravity and the way the car goes through a corner. 

The suspension is definitely on the firm side, and can be a bit tiring at slower speeds or around town. Once going a bit quicker it improves, although can still be quite a ride on a poorly surfaced B-road. I am tempted to look at getting an alignment at some point in the future. Also I'm not sure how old the tyres are but may well change from Pilot Supersports to 4Ss which I have had on my Golf R and they were superb.

The steering is superb and a mile away from the epas system in the Golf. Nearly as good as a 600LT!  

Throttle response can be a bit frustrating at lower speeds, and may be something that a Sprint Booster could sort out, or so I have read. Also the addition of a transmission insert may take some of the engine movement out when you come on and off throttle.

My car doesn't have Chrono or PSE, so adding the former and possibly going the Carnewal route could add heighten the driving experience even further. Overall I love the rawness of the powertrain and how she loves to rev. I'd just like a bit more noise. I am also going to add the factory SSK eventually.

Lastly the main annoying points, which are around squeaks and rattles! I have had half the rear trim out on one side trying to find a very annoying squeak/rattle issue and low and behold it was still there when I put it back together. I now think the source my be relating to the boot trim surround or maybe the famous mass-damper.

There are also some rattles that sound like cables in the driver's door that I see if I can fix. Any hot tips then please chip in! 

Overall I love the car, love the colour combo and can't wait to get her out onto some proper road trips and meets. Just a few tweaks to do over the next year or so and she will be perfect. 

Re SSK - I fitted the OE Porsche one last year and love it. 

Re trunk mass damper (if that is the culprit in your annoying rattle) - I posted a ‘how to’ guide on fixing that in the general maintenance area I think. 

Re tyre age, on the outer face of your tyres should be an oval about 2” Lon with four numbers in it - this is the week and year of the tyres manufacture. Eg, ‘1819’ would be week 18 of year 2019. 

a door rattle might be a broken / missing door trim clip (if the door card has ever been removed to fettle with the window regulator / speaker etc). 

These are fab cars for those early morning ‘dawn raids’ for sure 🤪😉

Edited by Windymiller
Linky added

Thanks for the tips @Windymiller👍

I have read several reviews of the SSK along with the how to, so it's definitely on the list. 

For the trunk thunk I've already bookmarked the how to, so will get on to that one weekend soon, along with the door rattle. 

I think it may also be the trim pieces on the trunk surround as they seem to rattle when you tap them. I have plenty of anti-squeak tape to go crazy with! 

Just sorting those few things will only add to the enjoyment. Either that or I just need to drive everywhere in a lower gear and drown out the rattles with flat six music! 😁

• Haha 1

Fab looking Meteor (I might be very slightly bias).

Some nice individual touches on it already - and i look forward to seeing it progress...........

****Some nice photo's in there too 👌

loving this spec, always been a sucker for grey and silver on these cars. 

i find these two colours compliments the undulations and curves of the car, the shadows always show really well

Thanks gents! 

In my search I was ideally trying to find a GT Silver or Platinum Silver spec, having seen pics of a few online including @swanny71's lovely example. 

When the Meteor Grey one came up I couldn't stop looking at the ad, and was the next best thing to Silver. Next job was to start looking down the back of the sofa to find the extra cash over an S! 😂 Now that I have taken the plunge, I really love the depth of the Meteor Grey paint and the transformation of the colour in different lights. 

I have been dreaming up other colour combos, and if money was no option I'd love to do a real project with pealable paint colour change, different wheel / brake caliper colours, interior retrim. Maybe on day! 

In the meantime, I am out to find good roads whenever I get the opportunity! I just wish Surrey wasn't so congested!🙃

Lovely example and a warm welcome to R ownership.

Meteor is the stand out colour for me and I’m pretty sure I enquired about but missed out on this car last year. Happy to have found a silver one as 2nd choice though.

Great pics 👍🏻

• 1 month later...

I've now got the car booked in for a 40k mile major service, which conveniently coincides with various other things that need changing, so she's having new plugs, drive belt, brake fluid change and airbag check at the same time.

Also needs an aircon re-gas (if it doesn't leak!)... booked into GT-One in Chertsey who quoted just under £1k all-in which I thought was quite dear.

I also asked then to quote for an exhaust swap as I am considering doing the Carnewal R GT on mine seeing as it doesn't have PSE, and they estimated 5 hrs work which I thought was excessive. Has anyone looked at Hayward and Scott muffler bypass and do you know if it is the same mod as Carnewal do?

Cheers, Ian 

Edited by Meteor_CR

• Founder
9 minutes ago, Meteor_CR said:

I've now got the car booked in for a 40k mile major service, which conveniently coincides with various other things that need changing, so she's having new plugs, drive belt, brake fluid change and airbag check at the same time.

Also needs an aircon re-gas (if it doesn't leak!)... booked into GT-One in Chertsey who quoted just under £1k all-in which I thought was quite dear.

I also asked then to quote for an exhaust swap as I am considering doing the Carnewal R GT on mine seeing as it doesn't have PSE, and they estimated 5 hrs work which I thought was excessive. Has anyone looked at Hayward and Scott muffler bypass and do you know if it is the same mod as Carnewal do?

Cheer, Ian 

H&S add an extra external pipe to the exhaust, so it’s a visible mod.  

I went the Carnewal route for my R and I was really pleased with it, not only does it keep it looking stock, but it sounds as close to proper Porsche sound as any of the other options.  The Carnewal mod is completely internal and you won’t know it’s been touched by looking at it. 

I had Paragon do the swap, cost me about £400 in labour.  The best way to do it, is drive over to Gert at Carnewal and get him to do the whole thing while you wait, and enjoy the trip at the same time.  

Car looks awesome ! Great pics…

Some love being lavished on it right there. Good luck with all that….

I went for an after-market stainless system. As fantastic as the Carnewal sounds. I couldn’t get my head around modifying an exhaust that’s already quite a few years old. 

The stock system is supposed to be stainless. But I believe it’s a poor quality stainless used - and these do suffer with corrosion….

Either way - it’s guaranteed to sound a little more Porsche like  with some added ‘breathing’ via a non stock system.