Prices......

35 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

This is rather pricey…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Porsche-Cayman-2-9-987-PDK-2dr-Semi-Auto-Coupe-Petrol-Automatic-/274778741268?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

lovely, yet shows how prices for non-S’s have gone into the £30K+ territory where R’s used to dominate. 

Junction 17 don't have a sterling reputation either.  

8 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

oh? I'll take your word on it. Going by the online reviews they seem good, but i sense you know a thing or two about car dealers from previous chats/threads. 

37 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

oh? I'll take your word on it. Going by the online reviews they seem good, but i sense you know a thing or two about car dealers from previous chats/threads.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1615972

They run their own online reviews site.

Edited by Andyoz

I emailed them to quiz them on their reviews. Their response

Firstly with regards to your comment about reviews - we are a very reputable company, we have sold over 15,000 cars in the last 12 years, unfortunately with retail people are very quick to leave a negative review to try and get what they want but when they are happy don't jump to put a good one on. Cars are machines and they do break down that is why we offer warranties to protect our customers. With regards to the reviews - we are approx 4 out of 5 stars on al platforms, and the actually number of bad reviews totals to a percentage of less than 1% of our customers which is certainly not bad. John Lewis - the biggest retailer has got 1 star on Trust Pilot, but people will still buy a TV from there and not a corner shop because they are the best!

20 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I took one of their cars for a test drive in 2014. An Alpina B3. Once they thought I was walking away, they came up with all sorts of tempting offers. Their final offer was only available if I bought the car there and then. It got past the point of being polite. Sales will work on you to the point where they make you feel like you're getting such a good deal that you'd need to be a fool to refuse it. Nobody wants to look a fool now do they? I left anyway...

I've no reason to doubt the quality of their cars, but their sales technique put me off dealing with them.

22 hours ago, Julian987 said:

This is rather pricey…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Porsche-Cayman-2-9-987-PDK-2dr-Semi-Auto-Coupe-Petrol-Automatic-/274778741268?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

lovely, yet shows how prices for non-S’s have gone into the £30K+ territory where R’s used to dominate. 

There has undoubtedly been an increase in 987 prices but I do think it's gotten to the point where the dealers are just trying their luck. Privately cars are fetching a good bit less; of the cars to catch tempt me recently was a Gen 1 Sport that sold for £21k (admittedly Eporsch then sold it on within a week for £25k - oh, how I regret sitting on my hands for the three days it took for them to get in before me) and an amazingly well spec'ed Gen 2 PDK that dropped from £32k to around £27k.

Edited by Ginginho
grammar

54 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

There has undoubtedly been an increase in 987 prices but I do think it's gotten to the point where the dealers are just trying their luck. 

I thought that today when seeing this new listing. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105152655385

Even as a CAT D that seems pricey to me. 

And the listing says.."This car is valued at 30,500 dealer, 28,000 private, so grab a bargain"

Edited by Julian987

Gen2 S in manual, heated sports seats, Sports Chrono. It's a sought-after example.

If it picked up the Cat D marker at three months old (as the advert claims) then it would have been some enormously heavy damage. 

I think that there are a lot of people trying their luck. There was a guy trying to sell a Gen1 Black Edition with ~90k miles, a "service history" (as opposed to full Service History) for £21.5k. It was claimed to be "totally original" but there were various aftermarket additions and a few marmite mods.

People are even asking top end prices for written off ones. There was a rough looking, Cat D gen1 2.7 with 115k on the clock being sold on Facebook for £10k. When I was looking a few years ago, that would buy you a sub-100k, FSH 2.7 without any cat markers (I know, because I bought one!).

I think a lot of this will subside as the "Covid effect" diminishes.

6 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

So what we should all do now is flog our 987's and buy Ford Fiestas to drive for the next 18 months, then buy our old 987's back again and pocket a pile of cash in the process? 

12 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

So what we should all do now is flog our 987's and buy Ford Fiestas to drive for the next 18 months, then buy our old 987's back again and pocket a pile of cash in the process? 

+1 for the Fiesta recommendation! I have one as a daily so am already half way there 😜

30 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I think that there are a lot of people trying their luck. There was a guy trying to sell a Gen1 Black Edition with ~90k miles, a "service history" (as opposed to full Service History) for £21.5k. It was claimed to be "totally original" but there were various aftermarket additions and a few marmite mods.

People are even asking top end prices for written off ones. There was a rough looking, Cat D gen1 2.7 with 115k on the clock being sold on Facebook for £10k. When I was looking a few years ago, that would buy you a sub-100k, FSH 2.7 without any cat markers (I know, because I bought one!).

Yeah, in bubbles the s**t rises to the top IME.

57 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

I'd love a Fiesta ST to track and generally beat on!!

Mine's a 3 cylinder, 1.0l, 140ps 'Sport' and I love it. Of the two it's the Fiesta that spends its time doing small 4 wheel slides around wet roundabouts. It's impressively neutral and friendly to control.

Edit:
Caveat - only when the roads are empty
Caveat - never above the speed limit
Caveat - while always being fully in control of the movements of the car!

Edited by wtaite01

13 minutes ago, wtaite01 said:

Mine's a 3 cylinder, 1.0l, 140ps 'Sport' and I love it. Of the two it's the Fiesta that spends its time doing small 4 wheel slides around wet roundabouts. It's impressively neutral and friendly to control.

Porsche mate also has an older NA Fiesta 2.0 with aftermarket LSD.  I'd love a go!!

You can literally get sick of Porsche mechanical grip levels at times and need some fun....currently looking for a modded to MX5 to hoon alongside the R!

• Like 1

I had a 2014 Fiesta ST2 with Mountune pack for a year. Amazing bang for your buck. Cheap motoring too. Under £200 for OE brake discs and pads all round. Sold it for £500 less than I paid for it. Great fun. Engine ran out of steam at high revs, but who cares?

• Like 1