Prices......

Evening All. Has anyone noticed that the gen 1 prices appear to be creeping up? I've just done a search on some well know car advertising sites and they have gone up quite a bit from 6 months ago. Could this be a knock on effect from the gen 2 holding their prices so well? Interested to hear people's thoughts. Thanks.

1 hour ago, TrickyDicky78 said:

Evening All. Has anyone noticed that the gen 1 prices appear to be creeping up? I've just done a search on some well know car advertising sites and they have gone up quite a bit from 6 months ago. Could this be a knock on effect from the gen 2 holding their prices so well? Interested to hear people's thoughts. Thanks.

it’s across the board and more noticeable with prestige makes such as Porsche

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/used-car-prices-have-experienced-the-single-biggest-months-price-rise-in-more-than-a-decade/221998

Suspect part of it is down to the noise of Brexit being over and many people having more money from working from home.

Edited by Julian987

Definitely on the up.  I also think that there may be many new Porsche buyers out there with the Covid YOLO effects.  Many have £15k to spent on a fun car but not the £20k+ it takes to buy a gen 2.

I'd noticed this too.  Also 997s, 996s etc seem to be on the up which may have a knock on effect.    

Agree re Covid and so on.  I also wonder if the motor journo's enthusiasm around the return of the 6 cylinder NA in the GTS/4 has had a halo effect on prices.  

• Founder

Prices for Porsches are quite interesting right now, I think all NA cars seem to be holding quite well and some that were at the cheaper end (gen1 987 and 996) seem to be creeping up a bit.  

On the flip side, things like 996/997 Turbos are softening quite a bit, even 991 Turbos are ‘almost’ a bargain now if you’re fishing in that end of the market.  

• Like 1

Not that I purchased the car as an investment, but it's always nice to see prices creep up. I saw a gen 1 at an authorised dealer for £21k!!!! I know they charge a premium but that seems a little crazy. 

4 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Prices for Porsches are quite interesting right now, I think all NA cars seem to be holding quite well and some that were at the cheaper end (gen1 987 and 996) seem to be creeping up a bit.  

On the flip side, things like 996/997 Turbos are softening quite a bit, even 991 Turbos are ‘almost’ a bargain now if you’re fishing in that end of the market.  

Yes, I was surprised when I looked at 996 Turbos recently. I'd expected them to have jumped up like the rest as the Mezger buzzword is part of the equation....but not much different to a year ago.

On 03/05/2021 at 07:30, Tallpaul987 said:

Or the day you crash it...

True, but that's probably the day you sell it back to the insurance company! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

Not an owner yet but have been watching the market for a good while now... This Gen 1 is the most expensive that I've seen! Ok, it's a rare colour and it's low mileage but £29k? 😮 https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11678947

That's nuts :)

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

Not an owner yet but have been watching the market for a good while now... This Gen 1 is the most expensive that I've seen! Ok, it's a rare colour and it's low mileage but £29k? 😮 https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11678947

Super rare colour. Think I have only ever seen one other yellow 987 in over two years. No doubt about it, the value there is in the colour. If a buyer has been holding out for that colour, they'd probably go for it knowing it could be years before the next one.

6 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Super rare colour. Think I have only ever seen one other yellow 987 in over two years. No doubt about it, the value there is in the colour. If a buyer has been holding out for that colour, they'd probably go for it knowing it could be years before the next one.

I have to be honest, I do love the colour. Are there any stats to be found on the numbers of yellow 987s out there?

That is a crazy price for a gen1 whatever the colour and mileage, + a model relevant private plate. 

what on earth is going on with prices 😯🤷‍♂️

im definitely gonna keep mine till it’s appreciated sufficiently to pay off my mortgage, buy a speed boat, pay the kids through uni, and charter a leer jet (all in the one same week) 😉😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ginginho said:

I have to be honest, I do love the colour. Are there any stats to be found on the numbers of yellow 987s out there?

I don’t know of any official stats for the split of colours. My routine of looking each day for the past two years+ (only to see when the next equivalent spec of my R would have come up for sale, which it hasn’t since buying it last summer)…and only seeing one other speed yellow is a barometer that this colour is as rare as colours get (bar Budflickers green R).

Orange is quite rare too, but I would say top of list would be Macadamia, then Speed yellow.

I bet in real life that car looks epic. It’s a fair price, perhaps a bargain all things considered.

Edited by Julian987

It's not a bargain.

Buying a super low mile gen 1 isn't the smartest move no matter what the color. That car must have been sitting a while ...

But I guess at that price the target market isn't actual drivers 

Edited by Andyoz

15 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Buying a super low mile gen 1 isn't the smartest move no matter what the color. That car must have been sitting a while ...

But I guess at that price the target market isn't actual drivers 

That's pretty much what I thought; a low-mileage Gen1 S is still a potential bork-fest. I'm told that if they make it to 80k or so then they are probably OK for good, meaning that a low-mileage one is more of a gamble than the high-mileage ones. 

And anyone who buys a 987 without the notion of driving it must surely be misguided. They are never going to be a sought-after classic and are highly unlikely to appreciate to any value worth having. 

I woud have thought the AA would have snapped up that car, crying out for "AA rapid response vehicle" stickers. :)

• Haha 1

This is rather pricey…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Porsche-Cayman-2-9-987-PDK-2dr-Semi-Auto-Coupe-Petrol-Automatic-/274778741268?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

lovely, yet shows how prices for non-S’s have gone into the £30K+ territory where R’s used to dominate.