Toms 987.2 Cayman - 2018 Show car build

UKtom

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

Looks like a lovely clean car you have there to start with. 

What sort of mods would you be looking at as a show car? 

Thanks, Andy!

It is hard to say - anything that makes it stand out and unique really - the usual expectation to be accepted into shows is a minimum of air suspension, some expensive wheels and some bodywork changes. I am a big fan of keeping things subtle, to an extent, here is a picture of my last project. I bought it completely standard as a 2009 2.0 TDi and had a huge list of modifications including facelifting the whole car to a 2016 Scirocco R model (front and rear end), some flash wheels, air suspension etc:

1_zpscvu1hyia.jpg~original

In terms of how the Cayman will end up, I honestly don't know. Before I do anything I've said to myself I need to get rid of the standard arch gap - even if it is a temporary measure with some H&R springs whilst I save for an Air suspension set up. A few goodies are already in transit - I will upload some pics when they arrive.

Tom

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 15:34, Equinox said:

Track and show is the way to go. Use a Cayman as those good germans intended ? Looks like a Lovely example of a Cayman though so well done. ?  I use mine for both track days and accepted into shows around the country and can say 100% I get more pleasure hearing and smelling the car getting thrashed within an inch of its life than I do polishing it and leaving it at a show for people to look around. So a balance between both is a good thing to try me acheive. 

I completely agree! Someone once said to me - a show car isn't necessarily a track car, but a track car will always be a show car - and it's so true!

I was on holiday last week, although whilst I was away a few goodies arrived. Of course, as soon as I got home on Sunday, I fitted them straight away. 9_9 New LED numberplate housing lights, xenon style headlight bulbs and my personalised plates were fitted. Here are some pics...

IMG_4022.jpg
IMG_4023.jpg
IMG_4056.jpg
IMG_4057.jpg
IMG_4058.jpg

I am expecting a few more deliveries this week - can't wait to show them! :sSp_bdayparty:

Tom

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DJMC said:

Great looking car Tom!

Ask your sponsors something for me?... Why doesn't someone produce a fly repellant car wash/polish/wax for white cars to stop flies landing and crapping on them!!

Grrrrrr!!!!!...

See my thread here: 

Haha, hey! That is a good suggestion - something I'll pose to the big dogs and see what they say. I'll let you know :D

Yesterday I took the car down to Porsche in Portsmouth for a complimentary health check - just for peace of mind. They checked the car over, I was expecting a long list of things that needed replacing, along with a hefty repair bill - it turns out the car needs absolutely nothing! The mechanic invited me to walk around the car, I couldn't resist a couple of pics. He told me for its age it was one of the cleanest, well looked after examples he had seen... good result!

IMG_4080.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

...more money for car parts!

Tom

Edited by UKtom
  • Like 1

Small update, just a little interior tidy up. Replaced the airbag button as it was cracked when I purchased the car - not sure how it got in the state it did, but looks much better now!

IMG_4204.jpg

The car is also currently in the bodyshop for a rear bumper respray. There were some marks on it that needed sorting, so opted for a full respray to freshen it up.

Tom

On 9/8/2017 at 10:48, barryb said:

Hi Tom

That's interesting mine was exactly the same when I bought it, I wondered how it got into that state as well. Now replaced.

Barry

That's bizzare! I am stumped as to how it can get to the condition it did...

Small update. Got the car back from its rear bumper respray - it desperately needed it, it had marks all over it beforehand and the lacquer on the diffuser was faded. All done now, looks so much better in person. Much cleaner. I took her out to a breakfast meet at the weekend, and got some pics:

IMG_4267.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg

I also got myself a set of new Porsche owners manuals direct from Porsche with a genuine leather carry case - something the car came without when I purchased it. Thank you to Porsche Portsmouth for sorting me out with these!

IMG_4294.jpg

Next Tuesday the car is going in for a custom cat back exhaust system by Powerflow in Southampton. I told myself I wouldn't do anything until the car is lowered, but I'm desperately seeking a bit of extra noise... :D Updates (and videos) to follow.

Tom

Edited by UKtom
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 17:51, Beanoir said:

looking good!  Hopefully the insurance covers the screen?  

Thank you! Luckily it does, yeah! £85 excess is much more affordable than the £1,100 replacement cost haha. It is booked in for Wednesday morning for a replacement screen.

New exhaust tomorrow, I am way too excited to make some noise!!!! Updates to follow, i'm sure...

Tom

• Like 1

So the new exhaust was fitted yesterday and I love it! It is pretty loud, the video doesn't do it justice. It's great for the time being but I can see myself adding a silencer or reducing the noise at some point - between 3-4K rpm it is deafening!!

Heres a video:

All feedback welcome, turn your speakers up and enjoy!

Tom

12 hours ago, Bushman said:

sounds awesome, whos system is it and gave u got pics

Thank you! It is a custom made cat-back straight pipe by Powerflow in Southampton. Quality seems very good, unfortunately I don't have any pics of the underside yet but next time I have it on a ramp I'll grab some pics!

I took a trip down to Porsche in Portsmouth for an open day yesterday where i also picked up a GT3 RS Grill which I plan on fitting in the near future. I also tinted my front fog lights, just because I had some tint film spare from a previous car. I am not 100%, but i've kept it on for the time being!

DSC_0967.jpg
DSC_0987.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Lovely car - That's pretty much the exact combo I'm wanting to put on mine (Black Gen 2 S). I've finally sourced some of those wheels from Germany second hand and am about to push the "Buy it now" button. I'm just wondering whether your car has PASM or not because it's actually sitting quite nicely on them. I'd been considering getting the Cayman R suspension installed to get the 20mm drop and keep it Porsche, but if that's how those wheels look on non-PASM cars I might hold off (for now ;)).

Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Will

• Like 1