LSD

I guess the real question is whether you ever find yourself feeling as if you're spinning the inside wheel up through the bends. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Craiglm68 I will have a good read through that.

@Draven I have always had M cars (still own a v8 M3 alongside the Cayman)  so I like to step the tail out a little when the notion takes me and the Cayman is very snappy with the open diff.

29 minutes ago, PMGPete said:

Thanks @Craiglm68 I will have a good read through that.

@Draven I have always had M cars (still own a v8 M3 alongside the Cayman)  so I like to step the tail out a little when the notion takes me and the Cayman is very snappy with the open diff.

Fair enough - but you've obviously got a lot more power and a front engine setup with the M cars, so you'll be making use of the diff far more. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against diffs, I have one on mine, but in most cases I can't see the lack of one being a problem on a 2.7 Cayman, unless you're intentionally trying to break traction, which is appears you are, so I'll stop interfering and let you track one down now ?

• Founder

Cayman’s are certainly not snappy in any form unless something is either worn, broken or not set up correctly - often the latter.  

I found little benefit in having a factory LSD on a Cayman (however I drove it - track, mountain roads or pissing rain) over one without, but I did really dislike the added understeer it introduced.  Mostly overated on Caymans.  Aftermarket diffs are available for the Cayman and would probably perform more aggressively, but still I struggle to see how it would really be of benefit in a well set-up and driven Cayman.  

On something like say a Nissan 200sx with all the weight at the front and barely anything over the driven wheels an LSD has definite benefits to traction.  

I have one on the M5 and you can actually feel it working sometimes, but again it’s a car that needs it through high power and lack of inherent mechanical traction.  That said, what keeps that car on the road is the other electrical gizmos more than the diff.  

2 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Cayman’s are certainly not snappy in any form unless something is either worn, broken or not set up correctly - often the latter.  

I found little benefit in having a factory LSD on a Cayman (however I drove it - track, mountain roads or pissing rain) over one without, but I did really dislike the added understeer it introduced.  Mostly overated on Caymans.  Aftermarket diffs are available for the Cayman and would probably perform more aggressively, but still I struggle to see how it would really be of benefit in a well set-up and driven Cayman.  

On something like say a Nissan 200sx with all the weight at the front and barely anything over the driven wheels an LSD has definite benefits to traction.  

I have one on the M5 and you can actually feel it working sometimes, but again it’s a car that needs it through high power and lack of inherent mechanical traction.  That said, what keeps that car on the road is the other electrical gizmos more than the diff.  

i need a posi...............i can spin my 2.9 in snow/rain/dirt.................aside from that no traction issues 

I am not sure of options for the 2.7 / 2.9 Cayman but I agree a LSD would be nice, I think it was Walter Rohrl who said the Cayman would be quicker than a 911 with a LSD, which was part of the reason Porsche did not fit one.

From the research I have done the factory fit LSD available on the S and standard fir on the R is not of great quality and wears out,  I have heard good things about the Wavetrac TBD (Torque Biasing Diff)  which is a fit and forget item with a lifetime warranty. 

For sure LSD can induce some understeer but in my past experience it can be mitigated to a degree by set up and the understeer was generally only in slower tight corners where the car had a tendency to push on, but get the car rotating better into slower corners and the drive out should more than compensate, I will be fitting one.

The only slight problem with attempting tail out oversteer fun in a Cayman is the PSM which cannot be fully turned off plus mid engined cars tend to want to spin easier once sliding but makes for a challenge. Chris Harris looks like he enjoyed the R in this video  against the BMW 1M, it would be impossible to do that in my open diff S like mine.

Edited by crafty1

On 21/07/2018 at 15:44, PMGPete said:

You guys don't like putting the tail out for a bit of fun then lol? 

lol... I do in my CS... I also have a 350z 313 GT with the viscous LSD... Both are a hoot around long rounbabouts!! ?

• Haha 1

@PMGPete ... This guy is a legend at drifting the Zed (Chris Drift) ? ... I hasten to add I'm nowhere near as proficient as he is though!!! ... I'm sure he could happily drift a Cayman as good as Chris Harris lol...       https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1IHdDNbjDvq9g_SfTOKvKA

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

On 26/07/2018 at 22:07, extanker said:

the has some torque unlike a po

Roughly same output in hp & torque iirc...

On 26/07/2018 at 21:48, Mavrik said:

@PMGPete ... This guy is a legend at drifting the Zed (Chris Drift) ? ... I hasten to add I'm nowhere near as proficient as he is though!!! ... I'm sure he could happily drift a Cayman as good as Chris Harris lol...       

He's one of the hooligans that ruin my local track drifting!

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 07/08/2018 at 12:11, crafty1 said:

Just picked up a very reasonably priced new in the box Wavetrac Diff from a ex Cayman S owner who never got around to installing 

Now just need to find someone who knows what they are doing in the Essex area to fit it ....

Did you ever get this fitted?

Yes would love to hear thoughts from someone with an aftermarket diff.

My cars about to get the GT3 master cylinder plus better discs, pads, fluid and lines.  LSD is one of the next things high up my list