DIY grills

Daz

They look good I made some for mine last summer. Glad I did as i always felt the Zunsport ones didn't look quite correct. Plus I got some extra petrol with the money I saved 🙂

Think I prefer the mesh you have used on yours though. The one I used had larger gaps. 

Look nice & neat fella 😊

I fitted the full front & rear Zunsport grilles but yours look great...

• 4 months later...

How have the grills worked out?

Just doing them this weekend, did you paint the cut edges so stop rust ?

Any pictures of the back of them ?

Thanks

I followed the same instructions and they came out really well. No need for painting, just the rubber edging strip. 

The only thing I found is that on hot days I have to remove them when on track as they do restrict the air flow into the radiators.

1 hour ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I followed the same instructions and they came out really well. No need for painting, just the rubber edging strip. 

The only thing I found is that on hot days I have to remove them when on track as they do restrict the air flow into the radiators.

Really. Wow !

***People are talking about removing the bumper to fit these from the inside.

I take it you're not doing that on the spot if you feel the need to remove the grilles ?

The on reason for removing bumper is to get a better fit. Once made you can fit them through the grills. I did a trip down to lake como in late June and temp got up to 38c and. Car temp never moved even when screaming around alps.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Really. Wow !

***People are talking about removing the bumper to fit these from the inside.

I take it you're not doing that on the spot if you feel the need to remove the grilles ?

If you use the flexible metal material the OP has identified you can pass then through the gap and still get a perfect fit. Snip a couple of cable ties and they are back out again.

I had them on on the Autobahn and they stayed put even at over 170mph.

7 hours ago, Daz said:

The on reason for removing bumper is to get a better fit. Once made you can fit them through the grills. I did a trip down to lake como in late June and temp got up to 38c and. Car temp never moved even when screaming around alps.

The only time I've seen temps rise was at Snetterton and Donny and they were very hot days. I think track driving puts a little more cooling strain n the engine even when compared to the most enthusiastic road driving. As soon as the needle moved a tiny bit, it was enough for me to take them off as its just not worth the risk. 

When you said you saw the temperature rise I assume it was on the car gauge ?

I have heard they are “weighted “ so only show when the water temperature is well over normal

Is there any way to plug a scanner into the OBD port to get accurate readings

Mine car is a R so I have a third radiator but also PDK wether that will help ?

12 hours ago, phone said:

When you said you saw the temperature rise I assume it was on the car gauge ?

I have heard they are “weighted “ so only show when the water temperature is well over normal

Is there any way to plug a scanner into the OBD port to get accurate readings

Mine car is a R so I have a third radiator but also PDK wether that will help ?

Yes the car gauge moved a needle's diameter, so I immediately removed the grills. I didn't move again. 

I have been looking a solutions for this for a while. What I really need is an oil temp gauge - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy fix as there is no way of briging the temp up easily - even with OBD tools.

My plan is to install sandwich plate somewhere in the system and run a oil temp gauge.