Filters

Liongolfer

I've a servicing coming up and am wondering if it's better to stay stock or go after market like a k&n or bmc.  Do these after market so called performance filters really help to increase hp and torque albeit a very small increase?

What about maf sensor issues? Not sure if I got the technical jargon correct.

1 hour ago, Liongolfer said:

I've a servicing coming up and am wondering if it's better to stay stock or go after market like a k&n or bmc.  Do these after market so called performance filters really help to increase hp and torque albeit a very small increase?

What about maf sensor issues? Not sure if I got the technical jargon correct.

I’m not sure of the whole performance increase aspect.

Infact I read a whole load of K&N blurb a while ago. And amongst longevity, better filtration, ease of cleaning etc mentioned - I’m not sure ‘added performance’ was ever included ?

In saying that I’ve ALWAYS upgraded to a foam / panel filter when the first opportunity arose in my last few cars. For the above reasons alone. Any marginal performance was a bonus if it came. Same with a little added noise too.....

And shall be swapping to a K&N on the Cayman when the paper item is due for change. Or maybe before 😉

Good luck.

Thanks. For the reply.  Must admit, I'm not really a diy guy and have the shop change the filter annually.

Am thinking now about the controversial ipd plenum as well.  I've decided to hold on to the car for quite a few years more and would like to "freshen" her up hence all the questions on filter, plenum and tuning.

Won't be changing any exhaust components though due to very strict local regulation and regular mandatory inspections.

I installed a K&N filter last year, and am very pleased with it - I don't think it makes much difference power wise but it adds to the induction noise, and seems to make acceleration a little more responsive (it could be a placebo effect!).  

I'd read lots of blurb about possible issues with oil from the filter transferring on to the MAF, but when I removed the MAF recently for an unrelated issue there was no trace of any type of contamination so that doesn't seem to be an issue (for me anyway).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a fair bit of trouble setting up tuned bike engines when we fitted K&Ns, bearing this in mind I went for a Pipercross race filter in my Croc. seems ok, no real noticeable increase in ponies and not toooo much induction roar. (can you have too much??)

3 minutes ago, Bushman said:

I used to have a fair bit of trouble setting up tuned bike engines when we fitted K&Ns, bearing this in mind I went for a Pipercross race filter in my Croc. seems ok, no real noticeable increase in ponies and not toooo much induction roar. (can you have too much??)

----------------------------------

@Bushman ... Same is still so, in the biking world tbh... You still get die-hard K&N supporters on the bike forums I'm on but generally the majority agree that they're not what they used to be since they out-sourced their manufacturing base to China! ... There have been several reports of their oil filters shatting themselves due to poor seem welding... The BMC air filter is more popular now (along with the Pipercross)... Can never have too much induction roar lol 🙌

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I've been running the BMC filter for almost a year now, and have been very happy with it. The car has just had a major service, inc plugs. The BMC filter was thoroughly cleaned and put back in, looks brand new. 

There are a few of us with the IPD plenum, once remapped it does make a huge difference to the car. The car now outperforms a PDK 981 S in a straight line, before it was miles behind (mine is a manual).

Just plenum and a remap with no other hardware change?

I've asked around and several parties, one of which sells the plenum has advised that plenum being the only hardware change won't make any power.  Right now, I'm leaning towards 200 cell cats and fvd tune for a bit more power and sound.  May likely just end up with a tune though as what I'm reading about cats is the power is at the really high end of the range and I don't track.  I'm not past 5500 for daily use.

Edited by Liongolfer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Just plenum and a remap with no other hardware change?

I've asked around and several parties, one of which sells the plenum has advised that plenum being the only hardware change won't make any power.  Right now, I'm leaning towards 200 cell cats and fvd tune for a bit more power and sound.  May likely just end up with a tune though as what I'm reading about cats is the power is at the really high end of the range and I don't track.  I'm not past 5500 for daily use.

I'm running BMC filter, Carnewal GT exhaust (back box only), IPD comp plenum, GT3 throttle body, DMS live remap. I'd love to replace the cats, but I'd be too loud on track.

I'd say my gains are even throughout the power band. If you do decide to do the plenum then I think you should upgrade the throttle body as well. The exhaust note is glorious once it's unleashed a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks Dougle.

WRT to "too loud on track", why not go 200 cel CATS and stock exhaust?  This may help you control the sound levels?

Someone on another forum has the 200 cell CATS and stock exhaust and he finds the sound has improved as well just from the 200 cell cats.  Benefit I guess is the additional 5 to 10 bhp that the 200 cell cats are supposed to bring?

Im still on the fence with the 200 cel cats.  What's holding me back is FVD has advised that with their tune, the 200 cel cats and the muffler mod I have, given the 30 to 40 hp increase (they say) at crank from the 3 mods combined, its advisable to get the PDK tune as well which means more moolah...  then again, a tuner would suggest that I guess... 

Edited by Liongolfer

22 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Thanks Dougle.

WRT to "too loud on track", why not go 200 cel CATS and stock exhaust?  This may help you control the sound levels?

Someone on another forum has the 200 cell CATS and stock exhaust and he finds the sound has improved as well just from the 200 cell cats.  Benefit I guess is the additional 5 to 10 bhp that the 200 cell cats are supposed to bring?

Im still on the fence with the 200 cel cats.  What's holding me back is FVD has advised that with their tune, the 200 cel cats and the muffler mod I have, given the 30 to 40 hp increase (they say) at crank from the 3 mods combined, its advisable to get the PDK tune as well which means more moolah...  then again, a tuner would suggest that I guess... 

It's certainly something I could try, but the risk vs reward might not be worth it. I'm sure it would sound as good if not better than the current setup, but I'd be at risk of breaching the track sound limits and then I'd have to undo it all! I could of course go valved but that adds a huge amount of cost.

On 08/10/2019 at 15:36, Liongolfer said:

If you put on the 200 cell cats and go back to stock muffler, you will still be over the decibel limit?

Quite possibly, I'm currently 0.5 db under the limit at Bedford. 

It's tempting, but the cost of doing the swap for 5-10hp probably isn't worth it.