Overfilling oil level.......

Amongst other things my garage changed my oil and oil filter last week. They warmed the car up and left oil overnight to drain.....

When I arrived the next day (In a rush to collect and disappear in my dinner hour at work) he’d already got in 7 lites, it was reading one line down from maximum at that point....so rather than wait I said I’d take as is and do the final top-up myself at home.

Having now read the approx amount needed to make up 1 level on the electronic display I’m now doubting myself - and the fact I may have overfilled. [I can easily see what’s left in the 2nd 5 litre can tonight to see exactly the volume that’s been put in].

But my question is this: The gauge is reading on the top / correct / max level and I’ve just found some info online showing gauges reading / showing an overfilled level. (Included). 

Should I be worried / do I need to drain some off and refill more carefully / if it’s now showing  the correct level - which it is - am I ok ?

***Feeling slightly stupid and ‘worried’. Info appreciated.

CB0B855F-34EF-4A23-867A-E2D9A45049FF.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

How much was your own "top up"? I thought each oil gauge "block" represented circa 250-300ml?

400mm between levels I’ve read online Craig ????

I’m not exactly sure. That’s what now worries me slightly. I filled a 1l litre bottle to top up with at home, shot a bit in, left to drain down and was surprised when I came back and it was one the mark’ upon checking.

All I’m able to do tonight when I’m home is deduce the total thats gone in from what’s left in the 2nd 5litre can.....

**Only good thing about this is i’ve not used the car since !

4 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

If you're worried, remove the oil filter and dump the contents. I think that it holds about 250ml possibly more

Good idea. I take it removing the oil filter will mean i'll only lose the contents of the housing and thats it ? 

36 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

IMO if the worst case scenario is that you've put in an extra 500ml, then it really isn't worth worrying about.

I've just checked the 2nd 5 litre can of the 10 litres i bought; and it has got exactly 2 litres left in it.

Meaning exactly 8 litres have gone in for the oil and filter change. And the car is on the flat in my garage; and the level still reads to the top level indicator.....not overfilled like the picture in my first post.

Truly feeling like the Porsche newbie i am tonight 🙄

Have you checked after the engine is up to temperature what the reading is? These dials are a nightmare mine is super sensitive I was convinced my garage was completely flat until I got my Cayman!! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

The oil filter is a bit of a pig to get to.

Get the socket that fits the filter cap and it's much easier to remove with an extension or two to give your ratchet room.

• Like 1

Needless to say be careful with this. Over filling can be harmful.

When I did an oil and filter change earlier this year it took just under 7 litres, and this filled it to the top little line and not the top of the window, this is correct in my opinion, that top little line is there for a reason.

When my oil is hot, (due to expansion) the gauge shows to the top of the window.

Your concern should be that when your oil is hot the gauge will not show any more than the window, If you think there is about 8 litres in there then you need to drain about 1-1.5 litres approximately.

Good luck...

1 hour ago, Tozerman said:

Needless to say be careful with this. Over filling can be harmful.

When I did an oil and filter change earlier this year it took just under 7 litres, and this filled it to the top little line and not the top of the window, this is correct in my opinion, that top little line is there for a reason.

When my oil is hot, (due to expansion) the gauge shows to the top of the window.

Your concern should be that when your oil is hot the gauge will not show any more than the window, If you think there is about 8 litres in there then you need to drain about 1-1.5 litres approximately.

Good luck...

Thanks. I don't doubt your experiences for one second. However - there's so much difference in opinion of volume needed on the internet though; it's quite frankly frightening !

This is from a moderator of another Porsche forum in reference to changing the oil on a 2007 Cayman 2.7:

"The amount of oil you can fill til the display shows 4 segments - depends on the time that you have to let the engine dripping out. The work-shops have no much time; and they fill approx. 8.00 L - 8.25 L ( they have also the PIWIS tester to check the level ). If you do the job by your self and you let the engine dripping, let's say overnight, you can fill approx. 8.75L. starting witch 8.50 L."

****And believe it or not - that's not the highest volume i've seen quoted either !

**Back to mine......after draining overnight i had just over 7 litres go in; to still read 1 bar low from the correct fill level on the gauge. Bearing in mind its supposedly around 400ml needed to top up between lines on the gauge - I don't think i can possibly be more than 400-500ml over absolutely worst case. But again........my gauge now reads that the level is 'perfect' with right around the 8 litres it has in it 😏 ??

The only way i'm going to clear my head is to dump some oil / remove the filter housing as suggested; and to top-up small amounts at a time (giving time to drain down between checks). Which i'm going to do this weekend hopefully......

Cheers again.

13 hours ago, phil27 said:

Have you checked after the engine is up to temperature what the reading is? These dials are a nightmare mine is super sensitive I was convinced my garage was completely flat until I got my Cayman!! 

Mines a Gen1. Can I even check the reading when engine is up to temp ?

Or are you meaning - run up to temp, leave 1/2 hour to settle - then check ?

Interested to know how you got that picture as it's from my car. Not a problem just curious.

My car (Gen2) kept telling me to check the oil level, so it was aware it was overfilled. I had just bought the car, with had just been serviced. In the end, I just emptied the sump and put the right amount back in, which turned out to be a whole litre less than I'd taken out!

Cheers,

Bryan

IMG_2315.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, briggy said:

Interested to know how you got that picture as it's from my car. Not a problem just curious.

My car (Gen2) kept telling me to check the oil level, so it was aware it was overfilled. I had just bought the car, with had just been serviced. In the end, I just emptied the sump and put the right amount back in, which turned out to be a whole litre less than I'd taken out!

Cheers,

Bryan

IMG_2315.jpg

Ha! I found it online somewhere as my initial post says. I was aware it was a Gen2 as i read the write-up. I was kind of questioning here and the Facebook group if Gen 1's had / show the same overfill 'feature'......

Glad you got sorted.

Edited by sevenfourate