Anyone getting out for a drive in this 'Lockdown'?

GlosRich

I intended to tax and enjoy mine from April 1st too Rich.

And have been designated as a key worker in Engineering / Manufacturing - meaning I could tax and use for work......

But working on an industrial estate ((With grit, paint, dust etc permanently in the air) and opposite a soil grading plant; means I won’t / wouldn’t ever leave here outside during the day.

So for the foreseeable it’s remaining dormant unfortunately. 

As much as that sucks - the ‘no travel’ pee’s me off more, as holidays / exploring / travel is mine and the wife’s real passion. One trip to the US already lost, another 2 trips in Aug and Sept in doubt and highly likely we’ll manage nothing this year (?) if the 6 month lockdown and normal life filtering back in after that does happen..... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah it does suck, but I guess everyones health has to come first.

I might tax mine and try and see if I can get the odd run out in it now and again. Although if the lockdown gets more strict that might not be possible at all.

• Like 1

In the name of "Essential" travel, I plan a food run via a couple of larger 24 hr supermarkets (which haven't had all the shelves cleared by Covidiot panic shoppers....won't they ever get tired of hoarding loo paper?!), heading out later in the evening.....and making sure a couple of good A roads are  close by... ("I didn't want the ice cream to melt, Officer). Two birds, one stone approach.

Edited by Craiglm68
  • Like 1

Might have to use the 'medical' or caring journey allowance to go and see my old mum, who also happens to have the Cayman in her garage....and nice country roads around...

• Like 1

I drove 400 miles to Ayrshire on the 22nd, blasted around Ayrshire for 300miles 24th & 26th, drove 400 miles back to Bucks on the 28th. Passed several police cars during that (going in opposite direction) none of em even gave me so much as a look. 

I think it might just be in large towns / cities that the ‘road blocks & checks’ might be occurring. 🤔

as an aside, the A682 and A65 from Gisburn to the M6 J36, and the A76 from Dumfries to Cumnock are joyous roads to drive. 

as is the A77 from Ayr to Stranraer and parts of the A75 from Stranraer back to Dumfries

and the M6 south on the 28th was like a ghost motorway... 😱 😁👍🏻

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DKR_77 said:

I think some are really struggling to understand the simple instruction of 'stay at home'.  

Totally agree with that.

Not driven mine since October 31st, was to be Taxed today, really miss taking it out...but it can wait and its not a problem to me.

I did a solid drive around the Beacons and Black Mountains just before the lockdown came in force.  Credit goes to my brother for the picture (he has the 370Z).  The roads into the Beacons now have checkpoints on them (not that I would go anyway).  

Best bet is to wait it out or, as others have mentioned, have a little enthusiasm on the way to the supermarket.  A little.

I get the impression that I'm against the norm as I always drive and tax my car through winter; it takes a really bad day for me not to go out in it.  I live in South Wales - it's always cold!  Do some of you really not drive Oct to Apr?

90244886_10163128253920366_1988096445277798400_o.jpg

• Like 1

Yep I only drive mine April to end Sept. I've got a daily that can do all the winter trips, and has 5 seats so is much more practical.

Keeps the mileage down, saves on road tax, and stops it getting covered in salt, especially the engine and gearbox hung out at the back there. Sorry I'm a bit OCD about keeping it clean!

But I can understand both points of view.

On 01/04/2020 at 13:18, DKR_77 said:

My next door neighbour was fined £120 on Monday for being out 'without reasonable excuse' - he thought it didn't apply to him, he quoted needing to drive his car for reasons' of mental wellbeing.  It didn't work.  

I think some are really struggling to understand the simple instruction of 'stay at home'.  

I can’t think of a better way of being socially distanced than sat alone in the Cayman cockpit giving it some beans around empty roads. 

On 01/04/2020 at 12:28, Andy said:

If you have an accident then all you are going to be doing is taking the much needed resource from the NHS and other services, then likely to be slapped with a fine from the Police

Which is exactly the same any other given day of the pre/post COVID world. 

Hi

I’ve not been out in my Cayman for 2 weeks (chomping at the bit) but using the time to do some maintenance on the car.

Wife works for the NHS and daughter off school so working part time in a supermarket so am conscious about going out.  Next grocery shop; then I’ll go and get it and get some fuel while I’m out and enjoy the trip..

Just so you all know; all the Porsche Centre Parts Depts are closed at present if you weren’t aware which means that all the independent Porsche suppliers (Ive tried them all) can’t provide genuine Porsche parts.

Ive been trying everywhere to get a new AOS for the last week. 

Finally found a Porsche Centre (after contacting Porsche GB) that had one and was willing to get the part from their stores and send me it next week. Really impressed.  

All other suppliers just said Porsche are on lock down we can’t help you and so we are closed

Porsche Centre was actually £10 cheaper taking VAT an p&p into account than any other price I got on the net so don’t assume they are the most expensive. Give them a try.. I will

from now on..

Stay safe 

Cheers

John

Gen2 Cayman S (black)

On 03/04/2020 at 21:24, Windymiller said:

Which is exactly the same any other given day of the pre/post COVID world. 

I'm not sure which world you have been living un up to this point, but I assure you that the services are strained more than they have ever been at this time, and to think otherwise is extremely selfish and narrow minded..

• Like 1

Just like the idiot who drove 250 miles into London to buy bread with his kids in the car.

He was caught doing 110 on the motorway and fined for it.

If you want to get back out in the cars, stay out of them for now.