Group Buy Interest - Desnork 3D printed Grilles

Fellow Caymanites,

Thanks to Syers @sevenfourate early-adopter purchasing of a custom 3D printed replacement grille for desnorked 987s I’ve contacted the producer in Puerto Rico (Marcos) for some group buy prices:

1no. - $29.99

5no.  $99.99

10no. $140.99 

I’ve asked the following clarifying Qs, and await his response:

1) Is the $ price USD?

2) Are the prices inclusive of packaging and shipping?

3) How long are manufacture times?

4) Is the shipping insured?

5) How long did shipping take for Syers?

6) If others in the group-buy wanted different colours would that affect pricing?

7) Is there any difference between ‘gen 1 / gen 2’ grille fitment?

😎 I’m bound to be asked on the forum - could you do 981 grilles too?

Here’s a link to Marcos’ video of his desnorking and printing of his own grille - it’s actually one of the best ‘how to’ desnork guides I’ve seen too. 

If you’re interested then please add your name to the next message down by quoting it (don’t quote this one please as it’s quite long). 

I would propose they are shipped to a single U.K. address (mine) and I’ll despatch out to buyers at an additional ‘@cost‘ price for U.K. P&P. (paid to me). 

EDIT: And we might need to add U.K. import customs tax as well @ £TBC 🤔

I’ll handle all the comms and purchasing with Marcos. 

We’ll use PayPal for all payments, and I’d want full payment up front if you commit, before I place an order with Marcos. 

Examples of the grilles:

image.jpeg.e705de3d0eb41e2f058b55d6d1ec0940.jpeg

Jason

Edited by Windymiller
U.K. customs tax point added
  • Like 1

Mine took about 16 days via USPS Priority. That's normally a 3-5 day service (Excluding UK customs). And if you're all "Group Buying" the total package will be worth alot more than the £27 odd pounds that attracts UK duty INC the postage costs: and much more likely to get Customs attention. So something to be aware of, but still likely to be a lot cheaper than buying individually as US postage now isn't cheap [I have a huge experience of this on an almost weekly level].

The current timescale is just a part of the current pandemic. It sat in a US International sorting centre for 5 days without moving. And the same here this side of the pond in UK customs......before it was released with no charge.

Good luck guys !

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Use this reply by adding your name to the list by quoting it. 

1) Windymiller (Jason)
2) Ben

44 minutes ago, Ben said:

3 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Use this reply by adding your name to the list by quoting it. 

1) Windymiller (Jason)
2) Ben

3) Edmundo2 

2 hours ago, Edmundo2 said:

3 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Use this reply by adding your name to the list by quoting it. 

1) Windymiller (Jason)
2) Ben

3) Edmundo2 

4) sevenfourate / Syer - (Black grille to fit 987.1 please)

Edited by sevenfourate

Ok so a reply from Marcos to my questions already 👍🏻

A few clarifying questions:

Q1) Is the $ price USD?

A1) Yes

Q2) Are the prices inclusive of packaging and shipping?

A2) Yes this includes shipping charges for all.

Q3) How long are manufacture times?

A3) Is quick each part takes about 3 hours, but I already have inventory

Q4) Is the shipping insured?

A4) Yes, and I will provide replacement if something happens during shipping. 

Q5) How long did shipping take for Syers?

A5) This is an important question, With the current issue postal service around the world is chaos!! so it will probably take like 2 weeks to reach you guys.

Q6) If others in the group-buy wanted different colours would that affect pricing?

A6) no price change, you can ask for different colours on the same order, price is for quantities.

Q7) is there any difference between ‘gen 1 / gen 2’ grille fitment?

A7) This is something that I would like to answer myself and understand. If you look at the video Syer post where I place the part there is a plastic where the part fits. If the model has this part we are good to go. The model I have is a Boxster from 2007, so I made the design to fit my car. I would love to replicate the design for all cars, but currently i don't have access to these models. My plan is to have a table to understand the fitment by model. Currently I only have one design.

Q8) I’m bound to be asked on the forum - could you do 981 grilles too?

A8) I would love too, but I need access to look inside and see what porsche did on those inlet.. I'm almost sure they change the part. Design wise it would be nice to design one with the group input, I would love to do that. If someone on the forum can remove the grill and provide some photos that would be a start...

• Thanks 1

Firstly thanks for doing this. I organised and ran a few Group buys on a Renault RS forum. It eats your free-time quickly. So kudos to you.

Wow. Didn’t think those prices could possibly inc postage. A veritable bargain !

**Do I presume you’re going to organise and implement the U.K. postage side to individuals after getting the bulk lot sent to you Jason ? @Windymiller

**This may be of interest to some here:

@Dougle_turbo (?) The guy is supposedly "the" man on the whole de-snork / side-scoop topic on many Facebook  Cayman forums. This is his latest video......

https://www.facebook.com/stewart.settles/videos/10214107450353962/

Edited by sevenfourate

Yes I'd echo that and say thanks for doing this. Not had my car long so not posted on here much but loving it and enjoying the odd mod.

Cheers 

51 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Firstly thanks for doing this. I organised and ran a few Group buys on a Renault RS forum. It eats your free-time quickly. So kudos to you.

Wow. Didn’t think those prices could possibly inc postage. A veritable bargain !

**Do I presume you’re going to organise and implement the U.K. postage side to individuals after getting the bulk lot sent to you Jason ? @Windymiller

**This may be of interest to some here:

@Dougle_turbo (?) The guy is supposedly "the" man on the whole de-snork / side-scoop topic on many Facebook  Cayman forums. This is his latest video......

https://www.facebook.com/stewart.settles/videos/10214107450353962/

I saw this video the other day, one of the things that pushed me over the edge. It also struck me that the canards must be diverting a lot of air that would normally go into the intake.

2 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

1) Windymiller (Jason)
2) Ben

3) Edmundo2 

5) Maxheadroom (red)

1 hour ago, cadporsche said:

image.jpeg.31f73dc17c6819af3ed6f900078c5950.jpeg

Jason, you may want to place this on your first post for color reference, thanks again for doing this...

Thanks Marcos - photo added to original top post. 👍🏻

@sevenfourate yes mate, I’ve added to the original top post, and for reference to all others wanting to buy in - for ease for the producer (Marcos @cadporsche) and to minimise overseas shipping costs - we’ll get them sent to me in the U.K., and then I’ll send out to each of us who has bought one. 

Obviously I’ll add the U.K. P&P costs (@ cost only) onto the unit price we pay to CADPorsche + pro-rata any import taxes due between the number of buyers to give a ‘gross’ price each. 

eg (mansplaining alert) TOTAL PRICE:

unit price = $29.99

+

UK P&P = £TBC
+
UK import tax = £TBC

Hope that’s clear to all. 

7 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

@sevenfourate yes mate, I’ve added to the original top post, and for reference to all others wanting to buy in - for ease for the producer (Marcos @cadporsche) and to minimise overseas shipping costs - we’ll get them sent to me in the U.K., and then I’ll send out to each of us who has bought one. 

Obviously I’ll add the U.K. P&P costs (@ cost only) onto the unit price we pay to CADPorsche + pro-rata any import taxes due between the number of buyers to give a ‘gross’ price each. 

eg (mansplaining alert) TOTAL PRICE:

unit price = $29.99

+

UK P&P = £TBC
+
UK import tax = £TBC

Hope that’s clear to all. 

5 of us on the list already: get's them coming in at £16 odd each.

Another 5 and we're at £11.40 👍

**Small parcel is £3.30 1st Class / £2.90 2nd Class currently i believe: if Royal Mail is your chosen courier. You MIGHT get them posted as a large letter [Under 25mm high] which would be a lot cheaper. But i'm not sure how much protection you could give them in a package so 'thin'....

1) Windymiller (Jason)
2) Ben

3) Edmundo2 - ( Black grille to fit 987.1 please )

5) Maxheadroom (red)

12 minutes ago, Edmundo2 said:

1) Windymiller (Jason)
2) Ben (Black 987.1) 

3) Edmundo2 - ( Black grille to fit 987.1 please )

5) Maxheadroom (red)

Happy to be part of the group buy if this fits the GEN2 then. I'd like mine in black please. 

Edited by Andrea

46 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Happy to be part of the group buy if this fits the GEN2 then. I'd like mine in black please. 

Hi Andrea,

Marcos has produced them to fit his 2007 987 Bx, and Syer has received and successfully fitted one to his 987.1 Cayman. We won’t actually know if they fit a 987.2 Cayman till we get one to trial fit in a gen 2. 

I have a 987.2 and I’m ordering one in this group buy, as I’m assuming none of the intake design changed between .1 & .2 - but I’m not sure 🤷‍♂️

If you want to take the chance then please add your name to the list. 👍🏻

cheers. 

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

No worries, I'll take the chance as I believe the intakes are the same too.

P.S. I've noticed that @Ben on the post above my previous one you have quoted the group buy list without adding your name, does it mean you also what the product or was just a mistake maybe? 

Edited by Andrea