Beanoir's 996 C2

Beanoir™

• Founder
5 minutes ago, Budflicker said:

I just wish I had your skills and paitence to do those jobs, really impressed.

I do love a 911, I sold my 996 C4S just before the lock-down as it really wasn't getting used and I figured money in the bank was better than more metal sat on the drive rotting while there is a global pandemic about to kick off.

Glad I did, but it does feel strange to not have a 911, first time in 12 years without one. 

I'm sure at some point another one will arrive, Joanne wants a barn conversion first though so by the time i can afford another one i will be the classic old man in a Porsche 911.

They are fantastic things though mate, I'm sure you are going to really enjoy it. 

This might be worth a watch for you, strangely the link appeared at the top, but you get the jist...

A converted barn is wonderful thing, although we're living more conventionally these days.  Highly recommend it though.  

I never got to see your 4S, but chasing you up the Stelvio in your GT3 made me realise the incredible traction on offer...and the noise!!! I'll never forget that day.  I think the video is round here somewhere...  

The mods list is becoming longer and more expensive, but I think I'm going to get the Ohlins fitted soon, the M030 suspension isn't that great truth be told. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

I never got to see your 4S, but chasing you up the Stelvio in your GT3 made me realise the incredible traction on offer...and the noise!!! I'll never forget that day.  I think the video is round here somewhere...  

Oh that I really would love to see, I've never seen it, it was a good trip wasn't it.

I was booked in for the Spain Trip on September but have transferred to do it next June instead.  Fancy a week in the sun?

Thanks Nick,

That was lovely to watch, i feel a bit emotional now, such good memories. When you watch things like that and remember that is you driving the Porsche, on those roads and that scenery that you realise how bloody good life has been to you. 

You know it's a good drive when there is a 997 turbo holding us both up!!! 

That camper van was a nuisance near the top.

Oh and Louise is the worlds best passenger ever, nerves of steel...

Edited by Budflicker
  • Like 1

• Founder
14 minutes ago, Budflicker said:

Thanks Nick,

That was lovely to watch, i feel a bit emotional now, such good memories. When you watch things like that and remember that is you driving the Porsche, on those roads and that scenery that you realise how bloody good life has been to you. 

You know it's a good drive when there is a 997 turbo holding us both up!!! 

That camper van was a nuisance near the top.

Oh and Louise is the worlds best passenger ever, nerves of steel...

Totally agree mate, great times indeed!  

She bloody loved it too, although she wouldn't let me switch the PSM off...hence my frustration in the video! 

I think I did turn the TC off to get better traction out of the hairpins if my memory serves me correctly. I have saved the video and will no doubt watch it again, brilliant. 

Keep this updated on your new project.

• Founder
8 minutes ago, Frayz said:

This thread is right up may strasse/. Incedentally went looking for a "cheap" 996 to modify/hotrod and use as a daily before i got my Cayman. This took me to RPM technik to try out their CSR packaged cars. Thats how i ended up buying my Cayman R from them. 

I still absolutely love a 996 :)

Yes those CSRs are providing some bits of inspiration for me actually.  The way they do the retro look is similar to how I’m hoping to have mine at some point.  Will probably do a few things differently though.  

I also want to get it into a shape that it’s fairly reliable, well enough that I don’t have to worry too much about taking it on a 1,500 mile jaunt across Europe! 

• Like 1

• Founder

I got fed up eventually (didn’t take long!) with a select few crap FM radio stations and having to revert to using my CD collection (they’re like vinyl but smaller and shinier).  Heart FM wore thin after a day or so, Vanessa Feltz certainly was getting a look in on Radio 2 so it was getting desperate.  

I did want to keep the ‘look’ of the original radio but just decided that the modern way is a lot more convenient with satnav and Apple Car Play and all those bells and whistles.  So I went with a Pioneer HU, and whilst I was there, 6 Alpine speakers, might as well change the lot right!  

3E53B4A8-61B1-477C-B06B-8427BC1A12FE.jpeg

Had to move the climate controls down to the lower console, and remove several bits of trim from the upper centre console to accommodate the double din unit.  

2621EDA0-A0D0-4C91-8AF4-3A4D4402894C.jpeg

A66307DB-F170-4C2A-A6AA-A1C604E8FD4C.jpeg

After modifying the centre consoles the rest was just plug and play, still using the standard Porsche amplifier.  

2621EDA0-A0D0-4C91-8AF4-3A4D4402894C.jpeg

It’s not retro, but I think it looks neat and no more Vanessa now! 

BF3BB48D-D176-4FB7-885C-274B90244095.jpeg

629CFE97-A507-4CC6-A57B-7F8AC82D5467.jpeg

2137BA4B-ED3B-498F-9178-DBB538180803.jpeg

• Like 1

• Founder
10 hours ago, swanny71 said:

Tidy install 👏

Can I ask where you sourced the alcantara?
I need a bit for an instrument binnacle project on the R.

Cheers! 👍🏻

We used to make bolster covers for the buckets seats, so has some left over from that.  You can buy it from U.K. Hide - speak to them about which colour code you need and which type.  There are different types depending on what application you are using it for.  I would say for the binnacle you want un-backed fabric 

• Founder

I’m now toying with the idea of some re-trimming of the interior.  Seat inserts and door cards etc for the first step.  

In drawn towards the houndstooth style, but still not 100% 

Has anybody used a car trimmer they would recommend? 

3A045B64-CDFF-4142-83CD-3E6987EE69FC.jpeg

C98D7455-B7C3-4143-9A9F-6232F88A45D6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/08/2020 at 17:42, Beanoir said:

629CFE97-A507-4CC6-A57B-7F8AC82D5467.jpeg

Hi

Where did you get the wooden gear knob from? Is it the Stuggart Classics one? 

I was thinking of getting this https://momo.com/en/product/heritage/shift-knobs-heritage/targa/

but it is not clear to me how it would stay on?!

On 18/08/2020 at 17:42, Beanoir said:

So I went with a Pioneer HU, and whilst I was there, 6 Alpine speakers, might as well change the lot right!  

3E53B4A8-61B1-477C-B06B-8427BC1A12FE.jpeg

Did you consider this

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/products/porsche-classic-communication-management-infotainment-systems-classic-cars-20622.html