What brakes do you get?

SarlechS

30 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

@SarlechS

Just checked & the price has dropped again!!!!

Strike whilst the irons hot!!

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2209927?gadw=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-bDDjafN6wIVCbd3Ch2haQmwEAAYASAAEgKnCPD_BwE

Quite the bargain and it's silly to pass it up at this price!  

@SarlechS If you're fitting the cylinder yourself (or someone without PIWIS/Durametric is) and bleeding by pedal pressure alone, make sure you activate the ABS and bleed again to ensure there's no air in the lines.  Alternatively, bleed with a vacuum pump/pressure bleeder.

As for the thread, I run the stock setup with a GT3 MC and RBF600.  Never had any issues with brake fade or lack of stopping power.  My biggest beef was always the light pedal (which the GT3 MC remediates).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@SarlechS

Just checked & the price has dropped again!!!!

Strike whilst the irons hot!!

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2209927?gadw=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-bDDjafN6wIVCbd3Ch2haQmwEAAYASAAEgKnCPD_BwE

bought, thanks for keeping an eye out! 

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

Quite the bargain and it's silly to pass it up at this price!  

@SarlechS If you're fitting the cylinder yourself (or someone without PIWIS/Durametric is) and bleeding by pedal pressure alone, make sure you activate the ABS and bleed again to ensure there's no air in the lines.  Alternatively, bleed with a vacuum pump/pressure bleeder.

As for the thread, I run the stock setup with a GT3 MC and RBF600.  Never had any issues with brake fade or lack of stopping power.  My biggest beef was always the light pedal (which the GT3 MC remediates).

do any of you guys know how much longer it would take to have the MC fitted when doing brakes just trying to work out labour costs. Apologies for all the questions...

13 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@SarlechS

Yeah, the prices of the GT3 MC have jumped again! ... I & another member on here @sevenfourate managed to bag one from Autodoc for around £90... The usual price is anywhere from £180-£350 😳

Yes i did. And pretty darned pleased with the improvement in braking / pedal feel after fitting. Much more 'modern'; and in line with other vehicles i own. The Cayman was so far removed from those previously IMO.....

Seems i got my purchase timing right too for a change !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SarlechS said:

bought, thanks for keeping an eye out! 

do any of you guys know how much longer it would take to have the MC fitted when doing brakes just trying to work out labour costs. Apologies for all the questions...

Porschacare charged me 2.5hrs of labour when they fitted my GT3 MC back in March, that included the time for replacement of all the fluid and bleeding the system too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

Porschacare charged me 2.5hrs of labour when they fitted my GT3 MC back in March, that included the time for replacement of all the fluid and bleeding the system too. 

I've spoke to my local Porsche garages and i'm getting the below

3 hours for discs pads sensors all round bleed and fluids (fine with that)

if i have braided hoses too they want another 4 hours of additional labour so 7 in total! - i know the solid lines on the Porsches aren't the best but isn't this a bit much?

Another guy i spoke to say it could be 1 extra hour for the hoses but if they are tricky to get out the solid lines it could turn to 4 hours...

Edited by SarlechS

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

Just purchased at this price. Planning to get callipers resprayed. (£480 inc vat) Cridfords said 2 hours labour at £90/hour to change (plus VAT)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaketame said:

Just purchased at this price. Planning to get callipers resprayed. (£480 inc vat) Cridfords said 2 hours labour at £90/hour to change (plus VAT)

2hrs / 2.5hrs is there abouts especially if cridford is £90ph + VAT, and Porschacare are £65ph + VAT. 👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarlechS said:

I've spoke to my local Porsche garages and i'm getting the below

3 hours for discs pads sensors all round bleed and fluids (fine with that)

if i have braided hoses too they want another 4 hours of additional labour so 7 in total! - i know the solid lines on the Porsches aren't the best but isn't this a bit much?

Another guy i spoke to say it could be 1 extra hour for the hoses but if they are tricky to get out the solid lines it could turn to 4 hours...

I believe both the brake line olives and the OE bleed nipples can corrode into the callipers, which then necessitates time and patience with WD40 and heat to free them. So the OPC have probably estimated 1hr per caliper for this, hence your +4hrs. 

3 hrs for all the discs & pads etc sounds good. Took me ~6 hrs just to do my fronts a few weeks back as the drivers side disc retaining screws were completely corroded in and necessitated penetrant spray, excessive hammering, and eventually drilling out. 

might also be worth considering replacing the bleed nipples with stainless steel ones as they’ll be opening / removing them anyway to bleed your system. 2 per caliper at ~£8ea from various suppliers. (Welcome to the bottomless money pit of Porsche ownership 🤔😉🤪)

• Like 1

@SarlechS

As I mentioned in my previous reply, the flare nuts on the caliper to flexi-hose hardlines will most probably be seized & the time quoted will be if they require to use heat etc etc... Mine were totally seized & even using my pro Snap-On flare nut spanner they ended up mullered! ... New Porsche hardlines are ridiculous price!! ... If the flare nuts aren't seized then it takes only 15 mins a corner to replace the stock rubber flexi-hoses for SS braided 😉 

I bought a metre length of Kunifer brake pipe & a flaring kit & made my own hardlines... As I said, using a dab of silicone grease on the fittings helps inhibit seizing.

Fitting the MC took me around 2hrs all in (1/2hr for removing the old MC & fitting the GT3 MC but around 1.5hrs to flush/refill the brake fluid) It's much easier/quicker if you have all the wheels off & on stands!!

Bleeding the braking system is sooo much easier if you use a pressure bleeder (I use a Gunsons Eazi-bleed with 30psi pressure from the tyre!) ... The clutch line will also need bleeding as it feeds from the MC... The clutch slave cylinder bleed nipple is on the Left/passenger/NS of the gearbox above the driveshaft... Top Tip: If you don't "bench bleed" the new MC first it'll take ages to purge the air from the MC... but use an appropriate length of wood to wedge the brake pedal to the floor whilst using the pressure bleeder & it'll be fine!

If you don't have PIWIS/Durametric then you'll have to bleed then replace the wheels, drive & jump on the anchors a few times to activate the ABS pump then rebleed! ... It's a ball ache but you'll be guaranteed to purge any air from the ABS pump this way.

I do all my own repairs/servicing etc... If I haven't got the tool I'll buy it!! ... Sod paying some spanner monkey to do the work when they can't even be arsed to grease/copperslip the various fasteners!! ... In my experience the Stealer & Indi's employ "fitters" not proper mechanics 😳

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Please excuse what is probably a silly question. I need new pads and discs my 987.2 S.  I have been reading above but mine will be purely for road use.   Are these my best bet or would I be better off going elsewhere?  Thank you

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_911_-cma81-cmo121-ct1377/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-S-34L-987C-MKII-2009--/Brake-Pads---Disc-Package/

50 minutes ago, Rob66 said:

Hi all

Please excuse what is probably a silly question. I need new pads and discs my 987.2 S.  I have been reading above but mine will be purely for road use.   Are these my best bet or would I be better off going elsewhere?  Thank you

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_911_-cma81-cmo121-ct1377/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-S-34L-987C-MKII-2009--/Brake-Pads---Disc-Package/

Hi Rob,

that would be a fine fit for standard road use. However, you’d probably get it all for less on carpartsforless.co.uk with their endless discount deals (currently 22% with code BIG22) AND NB Design911 prices are +VAT +P&P, whereas CP4L are inclusive of VAT and free P&P!

go for sebro or pagid drilled discs and textar pads and the associated pad vibration dampers and sensors. 

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-discs

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-pads

NB: the rear dampening discs are 2 different sizes - you will need 4 of each size (there are 2 big and 2 small in each rear caliper). 

NB: you will need 4 damping plates in total for the front calipers (there are 2 in each caliper). 

NB: sensors - I think I’m correct in recalling that the Rears are ‘pin’ type and the fronts are ‘horseshoe’ type... 🤔 (but check yourself). 

I’ve just done a CP4L basket of front pagid discs, textar pads, 4 damping plates and 2 sensors with discount is £206!

• Like 1

Glad someone had a good recent experience with Autodoc. I’ve used them in the past and they were good but the last few attempts at purchasing a brake master cylinder from them has been bloody awful.