Cayman R Chat

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great pic! atmospheric.

I just had to have my exhaust brackets replaced too, it was picked up by my OPC at service. I got them to do it whilst there but think it was about £250-300 ! Bloody spendy for some brackets, though they had to cut off the old ones and fit new. Probably cost about £50 at a Kwickfit !

• 4 weeks later...

The R on it's winter wheels and tyres.  18s instead of the usual 19 spyder wheels.  When I fitted these my first thought was that while I prefer the original wheel design, I actually prefer the look of the car on silver rims.... (the originals are black).  So now I'm in two minds about getting the original wheels refurbed in silver before they go back on the car.  I just think the silver looks fresher and shows the detail of the wheel better.  Anyone any thoughts on this?  I not the original Porsche promotional pics had the R in green on silver rims...

winters.jpg

• Like 1

I prefer the black, without the silver `rim` would be an improvement perhaps ? 

My previous car on silver rims ... 

4a.jpg

• Like 1

funnily enough I had one of my wheels off for a refurb recently and they fitted a silver alloy temporarily. Though I still prefer my black wheels with my red CR, it did also look quite tasty with the silver contrast. 'Fresh' was the word I thought at the time too.

anyone fitted a lightweight replacement battery in their CR ?   I am thinking along the lines of a Braille B2317 or B3121. Wouldn't mind a lithium but think they are still bonkers money and the Braille seems to represent the best bang per buck in terms of price/weight saving and power.

1 hour ago, MJ said:

anyone fitted a lightweight replacement battery in their CR ?   I am thinking along the lines of a Braille B2317 or B3121. Wouldn't mind a lithium but think they are still bonkers money and the Braille seems to represent the best bang per buck in terms of price/weight saving and power.

I have a Braille 3121 that I used on my racecar briefly before I changed it for a 1kg lightweight Lithium battery. It's £50 if you're ever up near North Wales

thanks Andy, you going to Oulton this year for the Porsche RS day? If my current battery can hold a charge until then I would definitely be interested.  I think the 3121 is a straight swap size wise isn't it?

Which lithium did you go for? They have come down a fair bit in price but still cheapest i've seen was 1K (Braille)

2 hours ago, MJ said:

thanks Andy, you going to Oulton this year for the Porsche RS day? If my current battery can hold a charge until then I would definitely be interested.  I think the 3121 is a straight swap size wise isn't it?

Which lithium did you go for? They have come down a fair bit in price but still cheapest i've seen was 1K (Braille)

Yes I'll be at RS day, let me know if you want it and I'll bring it with me. The Braille 3121 is quite a bit smaller than the Standard Cayman battery so may need some adjustment.

I went for a very small Lithium which I bought from another guy who races and also has a motorbike garage in Scotland that sells them, I can't remember his name or business name at the moment but it was about £150. They are ok for a race car but I wouldn't recommend for a road car with all sorts of auxiliary electrics running.

hmm, I thought the 3121 was a straight swap, though I haven't had a chance to measure the stock battery yet, just what I'd read on Planet Porsche threads. Also, has the Braille been allowed to discharge totally? Don't these high performance light batteries suffer if that happens? How did you mod your battery tray to fit it? I know Rennline do a mount, but usually silly prices!

On 18/01/2018 at 13:41, MJ said:

hmm, I thought the 3121 was a straight swap, though I haven't had a chance to measure the stock battery yet, just what I'd read on Planet Porsche threads. Also, has the Braille been allowed to discharge totally? Don't these high performance light batteries suffer if that happens? How did you mod your battery tray to fit it? I know Rennline do a mount, but usually silly prices!

It has never run flat always kept topped up, just let me know if you want it and I'll take it to Oulton RS day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...