987.1 S vs 987.2 R Sound

Andyoz

Here's two identical drivebys filmed 4 months apart.

Considering the gen 1 has no PSE it still sounds good. They are just a more 'mechanical' sounding engine with more induction noise. The gen 2 is dominated by the exhaust.

I'm currently planning to fit EVOMS V-flow to the R. Does anyone know any tricks to getting a discount?

Also Cargraphic or FVD headers with 200 cell Cats (remap)

Edited by Andyoz

The DFI engine is just quieter.  It's like asking a cat to start barking; it's simply not going to happen.  Better to accept it than try chasing the dragon.

I would recommend getting your desired theatrics from the exhaust instead.

• Like 1

• Founder

Exhaust is definitely the way forward, don’t bother with induction in my opinion. The Carnewal made my CR bark pretty good, my mate with a 997.2 GT3 used to say he wished his sounded as good...I never agreed but it wasn’t far off.  

The DFI engine can definitely shout when it wants to 

This was mine with just the Carnewal 

38 minutes ago, Aaron said:

The DFI engine is just quieter.  It's like asking a cat to start barking; it's simply not going to happen.  Better to accept it than try chasing the dragon.

I would recommend getting your desired theatrics from the exhaust instead.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. The DFI inlet will be a very different system. Would be great to find an engineering explanation from the designers. 

31 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Exhaust is definitely the way forward, don’t bother with induction in my opinion. The Carnewal made my CR bark pretty good, my mate with a 997.2 GT3 used to say he wished his sounded as good...I never agreed but it wasn’t far off.  

The DFI engine can definitely shout when it wants to 

This was mine with just the Carnewal 

Ha... I've watched that video s good few times already actually.

I need to look at the Carnewal site again, I find the descriptions a bit confusing. His main upgrade is header 200 cell Cat mod right?

I'm already nearly committed to the idea of Cargraphic or FVD headers and store the stock ones away. Or is there anything else Gert can do for the stock PSE?

• Founder
10 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Ha... I've watched that video s good few times already actually.

I need to look at the Carnewal site again, I find the descriptions a bit confusing. His main upgrade is header 200 cell Cat mod right?

I'm already nearly committed to the idea of Cargraphic or FVD headers and store the stock ones away. Or is there anything else Gert can do for the stock PSE?

Well the car in the video just has the Carnewal back box, no other mods to engine and exhaust.  That’s the first stop for most folk, you can then add a 200 cell cat as well if you feel like you need more.  But on the Cayman R the Carnewal mod is quite loud, louder than on a Cayman S exhaust.  

37 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Well the car in the video just has the Carnewal back box, no other mods to engine and exhaust.  That’s the first stop for most folk, you can then add a 200 cell cat as well if you feel like you need more.  But on the Cayman R the Carnewal mod is quite loud, louder than on a Cayman S exhaust.  

The Cayman S exhaust is not loud at all.  I'm on the Cayman R exhaust now and its even quieter.  Referencing the NON-PSE examples of both.  I'd ideally add 200 cell headers to the stock R exhaust but too many restrictions for me to manage.

• Founder
1 hour ago, Liongolfer said:

The Cayman S exhaust is not loud at all.  I'm on the Cayman R exhaust now and its even quieter.  Referencing the NON-PSE examples of both.  I'd ideally add 200 cell headers to the stock R exhaust but too many restrictions for me to manage.

The exhaust in that video not quiet by any means...

non-PSE, Carnewal mod on a Cayman R exhaust.   

28 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

The exhaust in that video not quiet by any means...

Your old R in the video sounds way angrier (In a good way !) compared to my friends S with Carnewal GT mod / system imo.

I know nothing about it - but would imagine the stock R's system has a bigger bore......

• Like 1

• Founder
45 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Your old R in the video sounds way angrier (In a good way !) compared to my friends S with Carnewal GT mod / system imo.

I know nothing about it - but would imagine the stock R's system has a bigger bore......

Correct, the R exhaust is a bigger bore than the S.  

There are also a few Cayman R’s floating about which had PSE retrofitted using Cayman S PSE, because OPC often couldn’t fit R PSE systems as a retrofit.

• Like 1

my regular 987.1S with a Carnewal sounds awesome. I agree with @Beanoir™ definitely better to go down the Exhaust route, I don't think the intake sound will achieve much personally.

It may be a placebo effect but since the upgrade I definitely feel it has a little more pull in the higher gears

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanoir™ said:

There are also a few Cayman R’s floating about which had PSE retrofitted using Cayman S PSE, because OPC often couldn’t fit R PSE systems as a retrofit.

One to watch out for.  Not sure how much overall a bigger exhaust bore contributes to an R being an R; but to buy one minus one of those factors; be it with PSE or not - would nark me rotten once i knew !

1 hour ago, SarlechS said:

my regular 987.1S with a Carnewal sounds awesome. I agree with @Beanoir™ definitely better to go down the Exhaust route, I don't think the intake sound will achieve much personally.

It may be a placebo effect but since the upgrade I definitely feel it has a little more pull in the higher gears

Carnewal - with the accompanying gutting of the cats is supposed to be approx 7bhp extra. 

I think you'd probably just about notice that from you butt-ometer; sat behind the wheel 😎 And with the extra noise - i'm darned sure it feels like it.......

My 2.9 has been modded by PCW exhausts (Paul the welder). Anyone know if the carnewal would be any louder. I too found gen 1 S to produce a nicer induction noise from inside. 

Also can someone advise if sports cat of 1195 euros the full price or price with exchange 

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87017/987-2-Exchange-Sport-Cats

• Founder
2 minutes ago, mc5 said:

My 2.9 has been modded by PCW exhausts (Paul the welder). Anyone know if the carnewal would be any louder. I too found gen 1 S to produce a nicer induction noise from inside. 

Also can someone advise if sports cat of 1195 euros the full price or price with exchange 

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87017/987-2-Exchange-Sport-Cats

I’m sure @@carnewal can help on that one 👍🏻

6 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Ok, that makes sense. Mine has PSE so was trying to get my head around what Gert can do. I was actually prepared to buy a non PSE Cayman R and Carnewal it but then mine turned up. I'll never need switchable so the PSE is a slight liability for me TBH.

I think yours sounds s bit angrier then mine. Never easy to compare videos though.

I have priced a genuine big bore PSE for the R just so I know in future. It's circa £3,500.

Edited by Andyoz

3 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

One to watch out for.  Not sure how much overall a bigger exhaust bore contributes to an R being an R; but to buy one minus one of those factors; be it with PSE or not - would nark me rotten once i knew !

It's a 55mm bore versus 48mm and was part of the power upgrade along with map.

To swap it out on an R for the standard S PSE is silly but most OPC's don't even know that level of detail...it's an 'old' car now...

On 31/12/2020 at 10:49, Beanoir™ said:

Good point about R getting retrofitted with the 'wrong' PSE from a Cayman S.  The older they get, the more chance that will happen too. 

If buying an R with PSE switch on dash then option code 'XLF' indicates it's factory fitted. If you don't see that code go digging a bit deeper. Ultimately taking off a rear wheel and physically check the exhaust bore.  As the R gets older owners may be replacing their factory PSE due to rust, baffle failure, etc. and an unsuspecting OPC might fit the stock S one.  I know when I rang Silverstone OPC to price a PSE replacement they couldn't find the R option initially...they did eventually only because I knew it existed.

The R engine power tune I'd based on the bigger bore exhaust so I'd assume fitting an S exhaust would make things worse.

Edited by Andyoz