Interesting Spec 987!

Andyoz

No affiliation...don't see many Cayman S Sports turn up in orange let alone modded to this extent.

I'll reserve any comment on the price.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11132125?cId=11100529&cId=11060052&cId=11060375&cId=11074588&cId=10978804&cId=11118913&cId=11132125&cId=10952792&cId=11097351

Edited by Andyoz
  • Like 1

My Cayman was from this seller. They often have some interesting models / specs , low mileage examples available. And literally travel the World to find them.

Some price if they achieve it.....

22 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

That is a lot of money for an S Sport... 😳

That's private sale R money...

They'd be better off striping seats out and selling separately for starters.

Hope they have the original hatch too.

Edited by Andyoz

• Founder
1 hour ago, Andyoz said:

That's private sale R money...

They'd be better off striping seats out and selling separately for starters.

Hope they have the original hatch too.

pretty much, close enough that d rather fund the difference and buy an R.  

I had my eye on those seats for my 996, they do fetch £5-6k...

Almost looks like they were preparing it for track but didn't get as far as sorting engine and suspension before offloading. It's a strange car the more I look at it ...

I just wish more 987's had been produced in 'mad' colors like this.

Edited by Andyoz

• Founder

They did come in some pretty funky colours, viper green being one of them too.  

This particular car is odd because of the modifications, badging on the back is wrong but kinda cool.  Trouble is if you’re charging a premium for a limited edition ‘collectors car’ (I use that phrase loosely in this case), then surely original condition is preferred.  I can’t see it selling for that kind of money, but then there’s always that one buyer... 

Lovely colour & spec but the price is ridiculous imo... Special Edition should be kept stock (or at least have all the originals in the sale?)

I really really like that. Yes the price is a tad ambitious but try finding another one in that spec ! looks like they have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and replaced all the known perishables. 

I would want the original tailgate fitted though....

On 31/12/2020 at 22:16, Beanoir™ said:

They did come in some pretty funky colours, viper green being one of them too.  

This particular car is odd because of the modifications, badging on the back is wrong but kinda cool.  Trouble is if you’re charging a premium for a limited edition ‘collectors car’ (I use that phrase loosely in this case), then surely original condition is preferred.  I can’t see it selling for that kind of money, but then there’s always that one buyer... 

I think Viper must have been PTS?  Even in the R, I think there's only one Viper Green in UK let alone the world.

Either way, very few interesting colored 987's about. It's a shame as the relatively compact body shape strikes me as a good substitute for £££ air cooled now for the modders. Be great to have a base car in mad green, blue, orange that's not a wrap.

Buyers back then had no idea they'd be the cars to fetch premium layer on and it would have taken a brave sole to spec one from factory !!

Edited by Andyoz

2 hours ago, Andyoz said:

would have taken a brave sole to spec one from factory !!

Sounds a bit "fishy" to me. Let's hope that "sole" didn't buy a lemon

• Founder
6 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I think Viper must have been PTS?  Even in the R, I think there's only one Viper Green in UK let alone the world.

Viper Green was a standard order colour for the Cayman S Sport, as was the Orange (forget the name), and a number of others. 

Viper Green was a PTS colour on all other 987 Caymans, including @Budflicker’s one of a kind CR. 👍🏻 

3 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Viper Green was a standard order colour for the Cayman S Sport, as was the Orange (forget the name), and a number of others. 

Viper Green was a PTS colour on all other 987 Caymans, including @Budflicker’s one of a kind CR. 👍🏻 

Ok, I thought you were talking about Caymans in general.

I really don't see many S Sports come up. Seem to see more Design Editions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Hi Nick,

That is correct, the Cayman S sport was a gen 1 run out special model year 2008-2009 and was available in the RS Orange and Viper Green as a standard colour in homage to the 997 GT3RS mk1 colour palette.  They were also available in Red, White, Black, Silver and yellow.

The original list price was £41850 so this example mentioned seems well overpriced in my eyes, particularly with the ghastly rear cover that i feel looks out of place and takes away the collectability of an original car. 

It's a rare car alright, only 700 were produced worldwide so less than half the amount than the 2011 Cayman R that had 1421 units built.

Viper Green on the gen 2 Cayman 987 was PTS only and as mentioned previously mine is the only Cayman R in PTS Viper Green. It was originally ordered by a Count from the Czech Republic who resided in Scotland and ordered the PTS to match his 997 GT3RS in the same colour. (i have the purchase receipts and paperwork from the OPC)

Viper remained a PTS colour until the 991.1 generation of cars and there are a few 991.1 GT3RS's in Viper around, after that the next RS was launched in Lizard and Viper was taken off the list. 

It has now been replaced by the very similar Python Green which is currently a standard palette colour.

My friend is awaiting collection of his 992 Carrera in Python Green so i will be able to get some side by side photo's as a comparison of just how close the colours are.