Boring oil question

mc5

My car is due an oil change Autofarm have used castrol edge 5-40 for the last few years. Sure its ok but notice its not a40. Is this an problem or should I switch to mobil one 5-40. Would like to avoid thinner oils due to higher mileage.

The Porsche/Mobil partnership is just a marketing ploy imo...

Any a40 spec oil will suffice.

I change my oil & filter every 3k miles or yearly however....

Edited by Mavrik

Millers or Fuchs Titan Race Pro S are the only high grade oils I use in mine

If on a budget than any a40 spec of Castrol GTX Edge will do the business, amazon are competitive for most oils

Not much i can add; other than also agreeing that Mobil1 (Especially in 0w40) is 'nothing special' in comparison to many top grade oils these days - and that aside my car was alot happier from cold, (Lessened the top end chatter, generally sounds better and seems to suffer far less from the random puff of blue smoke after sitting a while) with 5w40 grade.

Just pick your favourite flavour and go.....

If it meets A40 spec then it doesn't matter what name is on the tin, it's good for the job. You can spend more if you wish on ones with big marketing budgets but it's not necessary. Specification is all that matters. 

Interestingly our local Lidl has been selling 1Litre bottles of oil at two for £10. And they have some Petronas 5W40 in there, with the A40 spec on the label. I've bought quite a few - it's very good oil for a stupidly low price, much cheaper than you'll find it in 5L bottles online.