Decat & Air Quality Issues

Aaron

18 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Yes, on an individual basis, but not as a collective.  That's why I said, "we can each do our part."

This is true for any contribution that is afflicted by a single individual everyday.  One person making a change is but an inconvenience, yet millions of people can be a mighty old statistic.

“Every ‘big’ helps...”

Sir David John Cameron MacKay FRS FInstP FICE 

https://www.withouthotair.com/c19/page_114.shtml

Notwithstanding the fact that if any of us here REALLY cared about the environment would we be driving relatively large displacement NA engined cars in the first place?

Edited by Andyoz
  • Haha 1

Nicely put Windymiller

I once worked it out how much Jet A fuel is burned per person to fly to Australia in an A380

The A380 carries approx 860 passengers , could carry way more if certain people gave up their private 1st class room and sat in a normal seat.

If I remember correctly and I probably don't I think it was about 450L per one way trip so 900L return pp.

I did work out the mpg pp and it was roughly 40mpg pp. 

Sounds OK but like you say it's a huge amount of fuel. We use about 1500L Oil/yr to heat our house in Scotland to put in perspective.

Flying is too cheap imo , a trip to Aus should be a once in 10yr occasion and some sort of Carbon Credit scheme for every one on the planet , which can be traded for those that don't fly might work. 

"when you coming out again" say's my brother in Michigan...as though they live in Yorkshire..crazy

Just done the calcs again and they are fairly good.

A380 burns a staggering 12t metric of fuel /hr (1254L fuel = 1t) 

Flight is approx 22hrs (London to Sidney) so burns 22x12t = 264t of fuel or 331,056L 

Divided by 860 = 385 L pp  1 way or 770L pp return

it's 10500miles which works out at 123mpg pp  (I think) 

5000miles  @ 25mpg = 900L pa in your Cayman 

Edited by Stephen Auty

just a bit more..

Jet A cost £0.32 / L so cost of fuel is approx £100k 

What does a ticket to Sydney cost? 860 passengers even at £1k each is quite a profit but can't add up as they're stopping production /sales of the A380 , too expensive to fly unless it's full to capacity always.

There was a day in July 2019 where 225,000 planes took off worldwide.

l'm sure a decent whack of smug Tesla etc early adopters were the type to also fly more than the average persons business and holiday miles...

Virtue signaling to the max LOL

Edited by Andyoz