Tyres - yet again!!!

TrickyDicky78

I know this is probably a thread that's been done to it's death but I maybe time for an update? I am about to purchase new tyres for my 987.1S. I have read on here and other forums nothing but bad about the P Zeros and lots of praise about the various Michelins. I just wondered if anyone has tried the GY F1s? These are also 'N' rated and come in almost a few hundred cheaper than than the Michelins. I do not track my car and don't really chuck it about the country roads so thought they may suffice. Does anyone have any experience of these tyres? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated....Thank you.

GYF1s are a decent tyre - I ran them on mine for first couple of years and full set (on 19s) fitted was <£600. 

They’re good on the road in the dry, better than ‘just ok’ in the wet, obviously all depends how you’re intending to drive.  Not great on track - but you’re not intending to do any so that’s not a consideration. 

But since using the MPS4S I’d not revert back to the GYF1 again. 

The GYSS might be another option to consider too - but similar pricing to MPS4S. 

Have you considered the MPS4 (not the 4S). I believe it’s a more road focussed version and might be cheaper than the 4S... 🤔

My summary would be:

For road only, decent dry performance and something that’s safe and dependable if taking it easy in the wet, reasonable longevity and quite quiet, and for sensible money for a set of 4 - then the GYF1 is still a good tyre to go for. 👍🏻

Edited by Windymiller

• Founder

The PS4 (not the S) as Windy suggests is probably a good shout.   Had them on my 996 and whilst they’re not as glued to the road as the PS4S or SS, they were fine for general road use and good in the wet.  

P-Zero can go in the bin as far as I’m concerned.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

The PS4 (not the S) as Windy suggests is probably a good shout.   Had them on my 996 and whilst they’re not as glued to the road as the PS4S or SS, they were fine for general road use and good in the wet.  

P-Zero can go in the bin as far as I’m concerned.  

Standard PS4 currently on my daily were fabulous in the dry at the back end of last year. And have been great through Winter, the wet etc - bar feeling a little skittish when really cold (Like 5 degrees C or less ?). Other than that: predictable and very good grip, wear rate bearing up well, very quiet and great ride quality 

For my general road-use; i'd fit them to my 987 in a heart-beat. Yes you're being a sheep by fitting them. But theres good reasons for that.....

Edited by sevenfourate

I have PS4s on my daily, not a Cayman. 

I've been very impressed with them overall, dry grip is excellent and they have only let go when actually trying to find the end of grip on a wet / cold day. 

Now I have had them I don't think I would put anything else on my car. 

I also have PS4 (not 4S) on my daily and love them.

I have both 17" and 18" wheels for my 987 Cayman, generally I'm using 17s on the road and 18s on the track + some road. Ideally I would fit Michelin PS4S to the 18s, but only the PS4 (not 4S) is available in the size. Does anyone have any experience of Pilot Sport PS2 vs PS4 (not 4S)?

p.s. sorry for the hammering of the 'not 4S' but it's something that gets confused a lot on forum posts!

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions and opinions. It's amazing Pirelli have such a bad rep. I was always under the impression they were considered to be alongside Michelins in their quality.  I'll be changing my tyres soon enough so will see if I can get a deal on the Michelins and if not, it will probably be the GY. Anyway, much appreciated and thank you for the great responses.

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I t has been a massive help. Michelins PS4s seem most people's favourite on this forum in general. I am open to getting a 'Non N-rated tyre' as all the 'n' tyres seem to be old.  Out of interest, has anyone fitted the Continentals SP6 onto their car? I am getting 4 new tyres next week and I just can't decide what to fit. Btw, my wheels are 19s.

Hello mate, you might find the below interesting, video came out today! 

Seems like for the 19s the Michelin PS4 S, Conti Sport Contact 6 and the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport would all be good options in the premium sector, with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport also worth considering. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wtaite01 said:

Hello mate, you might find the below interesting, video came out today! 

Seems like for the 19s the Michelin PS4 S, Conti Sport Contact 6 and the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport would all be good options in the premium sector, with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport also worth considering. 

Thats great thank you. 

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. In the end I went for Conti Sport Contact 6. Newer tyre technology than all the N rated tyres and a little cheaper than the Michelins. Will report back my findings. Happy driving everyone and enjoy the weather!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrickyDicky78 said:

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. In the end I went for Conti Sport Contact 6. Newer tyre technology than all the N rated tyres and a little cheaper than the Michelins. Will report back my findings. Happy driving everyone and enjoy the weather!!!!

I had 5's on a previous car and loved them. Very impressive grip / feedback (Wet especially), noise levels; and wear rates.

If the 6's are a further improvement over the 5's......which i'm sure they are......you'll absolutely love them !

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Conti SportContact 2 & 3 were great on my various BMWs. Newer versions just as good but wear in half the time.

My original 981 PZero fronts were faulty and Pirelli paid for GY F1 A2 to replace them.

The Goodyear fronts developed splits on the inside all the way around 5mm from the rims.

Goodyear have declared them faulty and refunded the appropriate amount less wear.

Now of PS4S all round - hopefully better luck this time! 

Edited by DJMC
Info added
  • Like 1