Clutch and stuff

I am sure this has a thread somewhere else so apologies if that is the case. My 987.1S is coming up to 55k miles and although there is nothing wrong with the clutch, (touch wood), I was wondering what sort of mileage others have had theirs replaced. Furthermore, are there are any other essentials you would consider doing whilst changing the clutch? Just curious. Many thanks.

My late '06 CS had its clutch & DMF replaced by the previous owner at 53k miles & also new shocks & top hats & water pump.

I've seen some owners manage to get the general average i.e 70k before needing sorting but I've also heard some do over a 100k ???

• Like 1

In my 08 boxster S I had the clutch changed at about 70k as the pressure plate fingers had become wear hardened, making the clutch pedal very stiff. Similar issue to Eponymoose's I suspect.

The difference in pedal feel was night and day.

Edited by andygo
  • Like 1

My newish-to-me Cayman only had its clutch done at 92,000mi, so as others have said it depends on how it's driven.

The previous owner had the flywheel done alongside, but nothing else.

51 minutes ago, Hunter said:

My newish-to-me Cayman only had its clutch done at 92,000mi, so as others have said it depends on how it's driven.

The previous owner had the flywheel done alongside, but nothing else.

Thanks Hunter.

Mine started to get an occasional ‘lump’ in reverse at 46k. 

Me being me; replaced the whole clutch assembly, thrust bearing etc - along with IMS + RMS seal while in there.

My car had done very little miles per year with previous owner. And I suspect from that was a Sunday jaunt to the coast car - to get fish and chips. 

Likely a lot tougher on a clutch than 1000’s of daily motorway miles sitting at 70mph (Officer 😄) in top gear.....

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Mine went around 50k.  It was the ‘spring fingers’ on the pressure plate - some had snapped so wasn’t applying sufficient pressure to the friction plate to engage it fully with the flywheel. 

Basically the clutch pedal went very light and the car juddered when pulling away. 

I had the clutch replaced (Sachs is OEM and much cheaper than Porsche branded) and DMF (made by LUK but seemingly unable to buy from anywhere other than expensively from Porsche sadly). 

Total cost was about £1800 (but £900 alone was just the DMF part!)

LUK DMF: and Sachs clutch kit from Euro car parts was £435 total for me last year. Yes: I felt I got very lucky too.....

Edited by sevenfourate

On 24/03/2021 at 10:31, sevenfourate said:

LUK DMF: and Sachs clutch kit from Euro car parts was £435 total for me last year. Yes: I felt I got very lucky too.....

That sounds great for both the DMF and clutch.  Autodoc currently showing the prices below but would have flash sales on them at times...

CarParts4Less show the Sachs clutch kit at £380 after discount but no stock. My R's on 55k miles and I'm tempted to at grab at least a DMF if I see a flash deal and store it away. No way I'm giving Porsche £900.

dtPpDmj.jpg

Edited by Andyoz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyoz said:

That sounds great for both the DMF and clutch.  Autodoc currently showing the prices below but would have flash sales on them at times...

CarParts4Less show the Sachs clutch kit at £380 after discount but no stock. My R's on 55k miles and I'm tempted to at grab at least a DMF if I see a flash deal and store it away. No way I'm giving Porsche £900.

dtPpDmj.jpg

At the time I found the kit at maybe £650 (?) on eBay. Then it got reduced. And from memory ebay then had a 15% off sale with some vendors. Inc Euro Car parts.  So a compounded reduction indeed !

There was also some questioning if the DMF in

the kit would fit my car. I was well aware if it did - it was cheap for that alone. So all worked out really well thankfully.

I’d intended to have as a spare too - but a couple of slight ‘lumps’ in reverse had me fit it pretty much right away. **The difference after was staggering. Shows what you become used to / don’t notice happening very gradually....

But yes: if a DMF appears cheap: grab it while the fires hot. You may not be far off needing it ‘soon’ish’.

Fingers crossed for you 😁

Wow those are good prices for a DMF - is that a non S one though?  I couldnt find one for an S anywhere other than OPC at the time. Now I’m wondering if the S and non S DMFs are the same or different? 🤔

Id assume they are different as the S DMF has a bigger engine attached to it 🤷‍♂️

Just done a quick look and even D911 has LUKs for £450 (+VAT) for the S now, and GSF parts has them for £405 (incl VAT).

Man that’s mildly frustrating 🤨

so I revise my earlier comment - you can get them from many sources and they’re so cheap now they’re practically giving them away as 2 (now) for the price of 1 (then)... 😆

Edited by Windymiller

^^^ It's definitely for a 987S but one thing I don't like about Autodoc is when you put your Rego in it just comes up with 987 2005-2013 and doesn't  lnarrow it down to a gen 2. Looking again at image below it actually looks like Autodoc are selecting a gen 1S flywheel there...

I've been digging about some more (see below) and your comments about gen 2 flywheel availability appear true!! I'd always assumed a Cayman clutch/flywheel can be changed for sub £1k but maybe not..

rAPkorI.jpg

FKFrnIX.jpg

Edited by Andyoz

54 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Wow those are good prices for a DMF - is that a non S one though?  I couldnt find one for an S anywhere other than OPC at the time. Now I’m wondering if the S and non S DMFs are the same or different? 🤔

Id assume they are different as the S DMF has a bigger engine attached to it 🤷‍♂️

Just done a quick look and even D911 has LUKs for £450 (+VAT) for the S now, and GSF parts has them for £405 (incl VAT).

Man that’s mildly frustrating 🤨

so I revise my earlier comment - you can get them from many sources and they’re so cheap now they’re practically giving them away as 2 (now) for the price of 1 (then)... 😆

I am looking on D911 and GSF for gen 2 flywheel and GSF are showing 'No Stock' and D911 are showing this mega big price. Is it because there's alot fewer gen 2 manuals in circulation... I'm a bit worried now as I'll need to go easier on my clutch LOL.

https://www.design911shop.com/Dual-mass-flywheel-Porsche-Boxster-S--Cayman-S-Manual/prod139801/

2 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I am looking on D911 and GSF for gen 2 flywheel and GSF are showing 'No Stock' and D911 are showing this mega big price. Is it because there's alot fewer gen 2 manuals in circulation... I'm a bit worried now as I'll need to go easier on my clutch LOL.

https://www.design911shop.com/Dual-mass-flywheel-Porsche-Boxster-S--Cayman-S-Manual/prod139801/

Ah, it must have been non-S ones I saw then. 

I’ll revise my revised comment above 🙄

gen 2 S DMF are still expensive and still only available from OPC 😱

I'm also getting alot of options from USA.  Sterling to US$ FX rate is favourable ATM.tjwts equivalent to £410 before shipping and taxes...his much would they be? Ends up similar to the Dutch link above

21l3I53.jpg

I changed the clutch on my Gen 1 S at 58K due to a juddering sensation in the pedal action.  This turned out to be down to the release bearing which fell apart on removal and a badly worn guide tube which the release bearing slides on. I replaced the DMF as it failed the rotation test but I probably wouldn't bother again at that mileage as they seem reliable.  I changed the RMS as there was a slight oil mist around it and my OPC lent me the factory seal insertion tool which was good of them.

Very straightforward DIY, apart from those damned exhaust studs.  My big mistake was not getting Gert to fit the Carnewal exhaust before I did the clutch, which would have saved me 10 hours labour and a lifetime supply of swear words. 

The exhaust was such a pain that when my son's Gen 1 S cracked its pressure plate at around 90K, I got the OPC to do it.  Our local TIPEC group had a £60/hr labour deal with them and they even agreed to fit the Sachs clutch kit he'd bought from CP4L.  About 6.3 hours labour iirc.

^^^ I just had all my exhaust hardware renewed when fitting the headers and hadn't thought about the knock on bonus effects come clutch replacement time :)

Autodoc site didn't correctly select my car using my rego but selecting my car manually gives two clutch options and Luk Flywheel. Not cheap but getting closer. They'll have it on better offer at some stage.

The Valeo kit states that it comes with release bearing but not sure about Sachs.

yLiPn6E.jpg

• Like 1