987.2 2.9 Race Car Video

Hello all,

I came across this in car video of a 2.9 litre Cayman testing for the IMSA ST Class racing series in the US (in which a number of 2.9l Caymans ran in the early-mid 2010s).

The sound is just fantastic and gives you an idea of what these cars are capable of if let off the leash! Engine is stock, though significant weight reduction done, roll cage fitted, and I would guess some hefty suspension and brake mods. Likely to be running slicks too! Anyway, I enjoyed it, so thought I would share :)

• Like 1

That looks fantastic! I went out in a Gen 1 Cayman racecar in 2019 and it really was incredible. So visceral and the handling was insane. It never fails to amaze me the difference race suspension, slick tyres, and a good driver can make (I wasn't driving)... I wouldn't want to drive one on the road though.

Here is a small video of my standard Cayman S fumbling around Bedford last Saturday. Need to get Sports Chrono fitted to hopefully sort out semi random changes. First time on track with the car, deffo needs some looking at to make the handling a little less inert.

• Like 1

• Founder
7 hours ago, andygo said:

Here is a small video of my standard Cayman S fumbling around Bedford last Saturday. Need to get Sports Chrono fitted to hopefully sort out semi random changes. First time on track with the car, deffo needs some looking at to make the handling a little less inert.

Those downshifts must annoy the hell out of you?!  Is that a result of hitting the kick-down or just from being in auto mode?

I'm in manual shift mode, so no idea what's occurring. Yes, it's pretty annoying although watching the video I'm revving the socks off it so maybe it's something to do with that.  Perhaps someone could comment on whether it's normal or not.

I have never owned a car with OAP transmission before, so might be par for the course. I'm toying with getting sports chrono retrofitted, its only £1200!

That's never happened on my car in manual and sport.  I can test it with sport turned off when I'm next in the car and confirm.  At least you'll know whether it's worth getting chrono.

As a sidenote: saw you breaking 7k quite a few times.  There's no power past 7k so get the shift in just before the power drops off.

Thanks for checking out your car, will be ineresting.

Looking back at the video, I realised I was way past peak power, I think it was because I have never used the full manual mode in anger before.

Just looked at the video, I think it's changing down as I haven't dropped enough gears on deceleration, but I am sure I had put it into auto mode. Maybe thats the difference with chrono?

Edited by andygo

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Looking back at the video, I realised I was way past peak power, I think it was because I have never used the full manual mode in anger before.

Just looked at the video, I think it's changing down as I haven't dropped enough gears on deceleration, but I am sure I had put it into auto mode. Maybe thats the difference with chrono?

My Cayman is a manual but I have an OAP shift in one of my other cars. In manual mode it will only automatically change down if you are at risk of stalling. Usually that is only when coming to a stop (ie. dropping below say 20mph).

• Founder
2 hours ago, andygo said:

Are we using ‘OAP’ as slang for PDK or is this an actual thing?? 🤔🧐

If you’re in Sport/Sport+ and using manual shift mode then the car will generally stay in the gear you select, unless you press the accelerator past the lockdown stop.  Maybe you’re flooring the pedal past the stop in corner exits? 

PDK-S (GT cars only) and I believe in the 991.2 the kick-down is deactivated in Sport+ 

32 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Are we using ‘OAP’ as slang for PDK or is this an actual thing?? 🤔🧐

If you’re in Sport/Sport+ and using manual shift mode then the car will generally stay in the gear you select, unless you press the accelerator past the lockdown stop.  Maybe you’re flooring the pedal past the stop in corner exits? 

PDK-S (GT cars only) and I believe in the 991.2 the kick-down is deactivated in Sport+ 

I haven't got sport mode on my PDK/OAP box, hence my earlier comment re having the sports chrono retrofitted. Foe £1200 you get the sport and sport plus buttons and the appropriate software from Porsche.

Believe me, when exiting a corner, the pedal is way past the kickdown point, my foot is nearly touching the front wheel! :) Should I not be doing that? In every car I have competed in, the harder you press the pedal the better..

Edited by andygo

• Founder
14 minutes ago, andygo said:

I haven't got sport mode on my PDK/OAP box, hence my earlier comment re having the sports chrono retrofitted. Foe £1200 you get the sport and sport plus buttons and the appropriate software from Porsche.

Believe me, when exiting a corner, the pedal is way past the kickdown point, my foot is nearly touching the front wheel! :) Should I not be doing that? In every car I have competed in, the harder you press the pedal the better..

ha! Yeah, so even with sport chrono, you will still have an active kick-down.  WOT is at the resistance or stop, just before kick-down.  Going past that point does nothing more than activating kick-down.  

Takes a bit of getting used to and some practice I found, but mashing your foot into the floor does nothing more than changing gear, often unwanted and on track will unbalance the car.  

• Like 1

Thats interesting info. I hadn't come accross that mentioned before, helpful. I'll experiment.

Coming from many many years of manuals it's a litle annoying when important stuff like car balance seems to out of your deliberate control. As you rightly point out, unsettles the car.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/06/2021 at 11:46, Aaron said:

That's never happened on my car in manual and sport.  I can test it with sport turned off when I'm next in the car and confirm.  At least you'll know whether it's worth getting chrono.

As a sidenote: saw you breaking 7k quite a few times.  There's no power past 7k so get the shift in just before the power drops off.

Following up on this.  It absolutely downshifts in both sport and sport plus if you hit the kickdown switch in manual mode.  I guess I've subconsciously trained myself not to hit the kickdown switch and have never noticed it...

@andygo FYI

Edited by Aaron