Big Dilemma

What car do I get next?

I've had my Cayman S for 2yrs now and it's a wonderful car , it really is. Does everything you could ever want but I suppose we are always looking for that next fix of a new car.

My only problem is getting in it, I'm 6ft , 16st  50yr old with a shagged back, neck and shoulders.

Top of my list is a Carrera T in yellow or white but they're now £80k and one at Silverstone up at £90k ..trouble is I know for a fact it isn't going to be £60k better than the Cayman so I can't justify that only that I think the price of that , like the Cayman will continue to rise so it's not wasted money...oh and I don't have £60k really (other than doing some creative maths) 

Slightly more affordable would be an early base manual 991 Carrera but they're nearly all black or silver and I simply don't want those colours and like the T it won't really offer much more than the Cayman does,that goes for 997's and 996's 

So I started looking at Jag XKR's Gen 1 and 2's but just can't make that move to a Jag, it's like giving in and accepting you're getting old...and they rust badly,  the Gen1's anyway.

I've done R8's , F Type's  , Maserati GT's !! and always woken up the next day thinking wtf..

But more than all the others I keep going back Mercedes Sl's and by that I mean the R129's (I saw a lovely one in Winchester last week on a small break the wife and I were on)  and the 230's and even the pre-facelift 231's , they're so cheap now. I found a very good white 231 SL400 for £25k.

And then I look in the drive and see the Cayman and think again , wtf were you thinking, that is a superb little car and you'll miss it so much.

Help required please and here she is ,  the problem.

IMG_2151.jpeg

Edited by Stephen Auty
  • Like 1

That's alovely looking problem to have! 

Other than wanting a new car, do you have any reasons or need to change?

Why don't you look at changing up the Cayman you have, or perhaps going for a GTS,4 or an R?

It's getting in and out whereI have a problem, it's not the car it's me.

The Cayman is superb, it's an absolute joy to drive and I wouldn't want anything with more power , it's perfect at that magic 300hp and sounds lovely with the Carnewal exhaust job done on it. 

It's also a minter with 25k on the clock and clear PPF fitted from the dealership (AFN) from new so no stone chips.

No I guess it's just the want to try something else and that's why an SL might suit because it's bigger and probably more suited to someone of my age and with the chassis damage I have acquired over the years .

I'm not that keen on the 981/718's , the front is good but not keen on the rear just now, that might change though.

I'll keep the Cayman this year at least but always keen to hear what others think,

Aston Martin V12 Vantage is around 90k (same as the Carrera T, which as a 987 R owner would be my only interest to move onto, but they are overpriced now).

I'd imagine, though no experience of, that the Aston is easier to get in/out of and better for your back. 

Looking for a 2 seater really although I do like the look of the Alpha.

Kids have flown so no need for a family car now

Saw a red SL55 AMG yesterday that looked superb but they are plagued with very expensive tech issues throughout

I'll maybe go and see what the newer Caymans are like for getting in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen,

I am in the same sort of quandry want something just with  more go than my CS, i dont want RS3 or golf R want to stay with the porsche brand and so looking at 997.2

Dean

Edited by FLAT STICK

Trouble for me with a 997 is that it's too similar to the Cayman so why change and good .2's are up at £40k now, then you think maybe a 991 might be an option. 

I'm not really looking for more power, like I say 300hp is enough on UK roads to enjoy the capabilities of the car without moving at crazy speeds.. 

I'm going to keep the Cayman for now , I love it and look forward to taking it out but the motorbike has taken 1st place this year with all the amazing weather we've been getting up in Scotland.

I've gone off the idea of an SL , I saw one on the motorway and the guy driving it wasn't like me if you know what i mean.

Ye i think 400 is the right figure after having mine for a few years, £££££ cost vise i don't  think you can go wrong with a CS but most family cars have around 300 bhp these days even a yaris has 245

Dean

16 hours ago, FLAT STICK said:

Ye i think 400 is the right figure after having mine for a few years, £££££ cost vise i don't  think you can go wrong with a CS but most family cars have around 300 bhp these days even a yaris has 245

Dean

There's always a faster, more powerful car...

For me, lighter weight would be the way to go. I keep eyeing up a Ginetta G40R

I have considered Westfields and Caterham's but too low , i'd feel really vulnerable around here as all the roads have hedges and stone walls along them , people cut corners all the time even the big forestry timber wagons.

I've actually got a deposit on a Hawk 289 FIA Cobra (kit car) , waiting time is 2 yrs and I'm nearly a year in.

Engine is a 302 cu/in (5L) Ford V8 but to be honest i'm loosing interest, my initial excitement has wained and I'm struggling to re ignite the enthusiasm I once had.

Someone wanted to swap my Cayman for an 88 3.2 Carrera that was in need of much work and welding and I did nearly do it but my partner stepped in and said I must be insane (she was right)

• Like 1

I had a shot in one a few weeks ago at Knockhill (as passenger) 

It was a Supercar experience a good friend bought for me for my 50th

It was insanely fast , like nothing i've ever been in and I'd just come out the new AM Vantage V8 

I don't think i'd last long in one of those , too tempting to fly past everyone all the time and you get wet when it rains!

Amazing machines though.

• 4 months later...

A black 996 Turbo (or maybe it was a GT3) was the first Porsche I remember seeing and being really 'wowed'. It really is a pretty car.

I hope it treats you well.

👆@Stephen - love your outlook and life philosophy there matey.

Approaching a similar age, level of follicly-challengedness, and with C-19 lockdowns invoking an unheralded level of laziness and general self-health apathy on my part, an ever increasing waste-line myself. 

But yep, life’s for making memories, cos once it’s gone, it’s gone…. 🥺

I love the ‘retro-modern-classic’ vibe in the 9X6 models, always like getting in my mates 986Bx - his 21 year old sports+ seats are far comfier than those in a 9X7 👍🏻

Wishing you many happy and memorable miles in your turbo-beast 😃