Tidy 987.2 for sale

Ginginho

1 hour ago, MartinF6 said:

Mega spec manual. I'm not saying a word about the price!

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13447345

Really? Looks really nondescript. Remember that Carbon is boasts about is just carbon looking plastic. 

Nowhere near as special as Windy's.

• Like 1

I live on the doorstep of Caldwell park and although I don’t partake in any track activity myself I regularly go around the paddock and some of the lads have a near professional set up for there cars. I would not be put off buying a tracked car if I new the owner and it’s a well looked after car. 

• Like 1

I tracked my previous car extensively and fully agree with the above.  Oil was changed for every trackday, pads every 2-3. Stuff that no one ever looks at like fuel/brake and clutch lines are changed every season. 

The only thing that did suffer if I'm being honest was the bodywork. The amount of stone chips,  melted track rubber etc turned my perfect paint into looking a bit rough.

This you can keep on top of but it's not cheap.  I opted for the respray before selling which also was going to be cheap.  I give the buyer the choice,  save the money and take it as it is or receive a freshly painted car.  He saved the pennies.

@MartinF6 I think that passing up at least looking at Windy's car is a little too dismissive, is it not?  I understand that you want this to be "the one" but you're never going to find what you're looking for.

With mileage, you need to find the balance between a car that's been cherished but also not a garage queen that's spent most of its life standing.  You'll find COC owners' cars will always have more than regular oil changes (I do mine yearly, or after every track day.  Others will be similar).

It sounds like you want a 20-30k mileage, R conditioned S for ~25k.  They just don't exist, I'm afraid...

I'm not bashing, by the way, just looking to jolt you into being realistic about your options based on the market and owner base available.  An S is always driven and enjoyed, like it should be.

10 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

Mega spec manual. I'm not saying a word about the price!

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13447345

Personally I like this one for you, Martin:

- Extended leather (I'm not that interested in this, but I know it's important to you and many others on here)

- Meteor is a great colour

- Sports seats, heated

- Lightest 'S' wheels (Though Spyder/R wheels slightly lighter still, 'Base' 17s much lighter)

- PASM

- Xenons

The only big option it's missing is PSE, though this could, of course, be retrofitted.

I actually applaud your patience here. If it was your first P-Car I might be more in the 'just go for a good one' camp (I really couldn't wait to get one!), but as you've had 987s before I can understand the desire to hold out for something that really hits all the points (as long as this actually exists!).

You've likely considered this, but many options can be retrofitted (if you're okay with 'non-factory' options) at various levels of cost/difficulty. Extended leather, for example, is possible to retrofit but tough; something like cruise control is very easy and (relatively) inexpensive. It might therefore be workable to identify cars with a spec that you could develop into your ideal car for an estimated total cost. This may well fall into the 'egg-sucking' category of suggestions for you, but I think it's something that many people miss.

Good luck with the search!

On 28/05/2022 at 11:35, MartinF6 said:

For me the test of a dealer isn't the ego massaging handover experience, I don't really care about that, but what happens afterwards if you have a problem with the car down the road. It doesn't sound like you guys had cause to test that out?

It's not hard to find numerous less than glowing reports in that regard. Try finding negative aftersales reports about, I dunno, Ashgood, 911V or Harbour cars to choose a few examples. You'll do pretty well to find one or two for any of those outfits.

I don't mind paying the mark up if I'm confident the dealer has a great rep for aftersales - in fact I prefer that over saving a few grand on a private car with no protection. In this case, the reports are too mixed to have that confidence. Not saying they're awful, and all dealers will have off days including the ones I mentioned. Likewise, some punters can be a right pain and complain about the most ridiculous things. But the reports are still pointedly more mixed than for other dealers.

Ref Mortimers: I said the brakes felt a little spongy so before collection they replaced front disks and pads, air con line and re-gassed, then an exhaust bracket which was starting to go when they could have just left it.

A couple of months after purchase, Within warranty the drivers door window wasn't going up on close -again they repaired for free - zero hassle.

So I paid a premium for using the dealer but happy with that due to the above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

Personally I like this one for you, Martin:

- Extended leather (I'm not that interested in this, but I know it's important to you and many others on here)

- Meteor is a great colour

- Sports seats, heated

- Lightest 'S' wheels (Though Spyder/R wheels slightly lighter still, 'Base' 17s much lighter)

- PASM

- Xenons

The only big option it's missing is PSE, though this could, of course, be retrofitted.

I actually applaud your patience here. If it was your first P-Car I might be more in the 'just go for a good one' camp (I really couldn't wait to get one!), but as you've had 987s before I can understand the desire to hold out for something that really hits all the points (as long as this actually exists!).

You've likely considered this, but many options can be retrofitted (if you're okay with 'non-factory' options) at various levels of cost/difficulty. Extended leather, for example, is possible to retrofit but tough; something like cruise control is very easy and (relatively) inexpensive. It might therefore be workable to identify cars with a spec that you could develop into your ideal car for an estimated total cost. This may well fall into the 'egg-sucking' category of suggestions for you, but I think it's something that many people miss.

Good luck with the search!

Thing is for Martin, I think, will be the mileage, as from what I recall he'll have put on 25K miles in a year so it'll soon go over 100k in no time. 

5 hours ago, Andrea said:

This BS about cars being tracked and consequentially assuming they are being trashed needs to end.

So sick of people not understanding that a car that sees track ACTUALLY is more looked after! So many people who use them normally change oil every 20k miles. I change it every 2K. Pads constantly checked. Brake fluid changed every 6 months! All bushes are brand new, regurarly checked. Never hit the limiter etc.

On a another note I'm afraid manual N/A cars like the 987 are a pain in the ass as daily driver! Every time I get stuck in traffic the car simply suffers! But on track where the N/A works always above 3.000 RPM it just flows perfectly!

Calm down, nobody said anything about tracking trashing cars. I have a particular set of requirements which are outliers. I'm also realistic enough to realise that a lot of this involves shades of grey and I could buy a low mile car with frequent oil changes and find the bottom end still goes at 150k miles, whereas another higher mile car with some track use might last longer.

It is, however, a probability game. Lots of high revs on track does, as a general rule, put accelerated wear on an engine, there is no avoiding that objective fact. It's not trashing the car, it's just somewhat reducing the life of the engine. A car and engine will not last forever. It has a 'life'. Various activities including normal driving and track driving reduce that life.

If I was buying a car to put 3k, 4k, 5k a year on, none of this would be relevant, I'd probably never put enough miles on to get to the point where the engine needed a rebuild.

I also agree that a car that's spent its life stop starting in London wouldn't be a great proposition, either. But, in short, different use cases have different requirements. Again, I know that there's an extent to which I am trying to control something which can't entirely be controlled, there are simply too many variables. But equally when you've bought a fair few of these cars, you basically know when the right car has presented itself.

In my experience, it then makes it much easier to stomach when you do a something that needs attention. When I buy a car that didn't tick enough boxes at the outset, I tend to resent it a bit when it goes wrong. They all go wrong if you drive them enough!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

It sounds like you want a 20-30k mileage, R conditioned S for ~25k.  They just don't exist, I'm afraid...

I'm not bashing, by the way, just looking to jolt you into being realistic about your options based on the market and owner base available.  An S is always driven and enjoyed, like it should be.

A risk of repeating myself, have said more than once that I'd go to £30k plus for the right car. So, no, I'm not looking for a 20k car for £25k, you just made that up!

The cars do exist. I've already said I probably should have bought the white and black 911v car. There are one or two cars that I might have bought were they not five hours away. The red one, as one for instance. But it's proven hard to buy - seller won't take it for inspection, and it's so remotely located the only place I could find to do an inspection on site wanted £600. Yes, £600.

Plus, seller said price was 100% fixed regardless of anything found in inspection. I have pictures of the crosspipes which were original and need doing, so add that to the price plus anything else that needed doing. No PASM, so add another £2k (for me) for springs and dampers. Do the sums and I'd be in for about £31-32k on a private transaction. If the seller wants to play it that way, fair enough. But for me, no thanks, I'd rather wait a little bit and pay that to a dealer and get some basic protection!

2 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

A risk of repeating myself, have said more than once that I'd go to £30k plus for the right car. So, no, I'm not looking for a 20k car for £25k, you just made that up!

The cars do exist. I've already said I probably should have bought the white and black 911v car. There are one or two cars that I might have bought were they not five hours away. The red one, as one for instance. But it's proven hard to buy - seller won't take it for inspection, and it's so remotely located the only place I could find to do an inspection on site wanted £600. Yes, £600.

Plus, seller said price was 100% fixed regardless of anything found in inspection. I have pictures of the crosspipes which were original and need doing, so add that to the price plus anything else that needed doing. No PASM, so add another £2k (for me) for springs and dampers. Do the sums and I'd be in for about £31-32k on a private transaction. If the seller wants to play it that way, fair enough. But for me, no thanks, I'd rather wait a little bit and pay that to a dealer and get some basic protection!

You've had so many posts in this thread I'm honestly finding it hard to keep up.  There's been plenty of £30k+ examples on the market and you didn't get one of those, thus my perplexing about your budget.  If it's 30k+, then that's what it is.  I'm not trying to call you poor or something.  I don't read every post, nor do I have the time or desire.  I throw in my 2p as that's what forums are for.

I hope you find a car, but I really don't think that you will without adjusting your expectations or accepting a compromise (still my 2p, don't get angry). Windy's car is a great example for sale and well within your budget without pushing it.  It's also a COC enthusiast owner car... It's a winner if it's the right colour.

Everyone is being extremely helpful and trying to get you in a car but I'm mostly convinced you just want to moan and don't actually want anyone's help.  If you do just want to vent, that's fine, but be clear with your intentions.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

You've had so many posts in this thread I'm honestly finding it hard to keep up.  There's been plenty of £30k+ examples on the market and you didn't get one of those, thus my perplexing about your budget.  If it's 30k+, then that's what it is.  I'm not trying to call you poor or something.  I don't read every post, nor do I have the time or desire.  I throw in my 2p as that's what forums are for.

I hope you find a car, but I really don't think that you will without adjusting your expectations or accepting a compromise (still my 2p, don't get angry). Windy's car is a great example for sale and well within your budget without pushing it.  It's also a COC enthusiast owner car... It's a winner if it's the right colour.

Everyone is being extremely helpful and trying to get you in a car but I'm mostly convinced you just want to moan and don't actually want anyone's help.  If you do just want to vent, that's fine, but be clear with your intentions.

No, there haven't been 'plenty' of £30k cars that meet even the simpler end of my requirements, let alone ticking every box. If fact, there have been none.

What you can't seem to grasp is that someone might have different preferences to yours. We all have preferences, deal breaker items etc. Guess what, they're not all the same. Can't be that hard to comprehend.

Of course, I'm not demanding you read all my posts. It's not on you to keep up. It would just be better if you didn't make things up. Anyway, if it makes you feel good to cast aspersions and accuse me of just wanting to moan, fine by me although you look a bit mean spirited in the process (Just my 2p, don't get angry).

The reality is that since I have been looking there hasn't been a really great condition low mile ext leather manual car at any price. The possible exception is the red car. But it's a real pain to buy. Blame me, if you like. But it's been for sale for at least four months, which has nothing to do with me.

12 hours ago, Ash131 said:

Not so sure it’s that great, 22k more miles than mine and less spec. Still have mine available for 26k. 

It's about equal. Doesn't have PSE. Does have the diff. Etc. No idea how great it is, but it is very high spec.

1 hour ago, MartinF6 said:

No, there haven't been 'plenty' of £30k cars that meet even the simpler end of my requirements, let alone ticking every box. If fact, there have been none.

What you can't seem to grasp is that someone might have different preferences to yours. We all have preferences, deal breaker items etc. Guess what, they're not all the same. Can't be that hard to comprehend.

Of course, I'm not demanding you read all my posts. It's not on you to keep up. It would just be better if you didn't make things up. Anyway, if it makes you feel good to cast aspersions and accuse me of just wanting to moan, fine by me although you look a bit mean spirited in the process (Just my 2p, don't get angry).

The reality is that since I have been looking there hasn't been a really great condition low mile ext leather manual car at any price. The possible exception is the red car. But it's a real pain to buy. Blame me, if you like. But it's been for sale for at least four months, which has nothing to do with me.

I see you did not take my jesting well, but I don't know why I'm surprised.

It is a pain indeed; my heart breaks for you, Martin.  May you and a future car be united at some point.