crap headlights

Bushman

Tony. I believe that H8, H9 and H11 bulbs are identical to look at and the differences are in the wattage output of each type.. H11s being the lowest power at 35w. H7s are a slightly different bayonet fitting and focal length, and are not interchangeable with the others. 

I put 70w equivalent LED H8/9/11 bulbs ( not fan cooled or heat sinked, but the type with multiple leds round a cylinder with a couple moor glued on the front end) in my front fog lights and use these as DRLs until I work out a way building my own DRLs that look built in and not like aftermarket bolt-ons. I think I'm going to use the black plastic blanking panels just above the Fogs then build a wire mesh grill for each  one that should look like a Zunsport mesh

On 11/02/2018 at 14:07, Bushman said:

Tony. I believe that H8, H9 and H11 bulbs are identical to look at and the differences are in the wattage output of each type.. H11s being the lowest power at 35w. H7s are a slightly different bayonet fitting and focal length, and are not interchangeable with the others. 

I put 70w equivalent LED H8/9/11 bulbs ( not fan cooled or heat sinked, but the type with multiple leds round a cylinder with a couple moor glued on the front end) in my front fog lights and use these as DRLs until I work out a way building my own DRLs that look built in and not like aftermarket bolt-ons. I think I'm going to use the black plastic blanking panels just above the Fogs then build a wire mesh grill for each  one that should look like a Zunsport mesh

Thanks BM - I might as well try them now I’ve got them and will report back once they’re fitted!

• Like 1

Just fitted the LEDs. Took about ten mins, I turned the lights on with one side still the previous HID and the other side LED. It’s only daylight but looked a lot brighter. Tried to upload a photo showing them fitted but upload limit wouldn’t allow me?! Anyway. Can’t wit to try them tonight! 

Ive got the old biXenon after market gubbens laying on my floor. I’m going to drop them down the recyclers as don’t think they’re safe or responsible to sell on. Extremely poor, at least in the Cayman.

• Like 1

"Ive got the old biXenon after market gubbens laying on my floor"

What ya mean by this mate??

Did you not just take the H7 bulbs out and fit leds in???

Sorry if it's dumb question.. don't understand what ya meant 

1 hour ago, Buggyjam said:

Just fitted the LEDs. Took about ten mins, I turned the lights on with one side still the previous HID and the other side LED. It’s only daylight but looked a lot brighter. Tried to upload a photo showing them fitted but upload limit wouldn’t allow me?! Anyway. Can’t wit to try them tonight! 

Ive got the old biXenon after market gubbens laying on my floor. I’m going to drop them down the recyclers as don’t think they’re safe or responsible to sell on. Extremely poor, at least in the Cayman.

Glad it all went ok buggyjam. Yeah get them in the skip double lively... No use to man nor beast. 

Just now, Gazwaz said:

"Ive got the old biXenon after market gubbens laying on my floor"

What ya mean by this mate??

Did you not just take the H7 bulbs out and fit leds in???

Sorry if it's dumb question.. don't understand what ya meant 

It’s my poor explanation mate.

It had an after market HIDs xenon set fitted by previous owner. I’ve just pulled out the HiD set and stuck in a pair of nighteye LEDs. Meant I’ve got the HiD set lying on my living room floor (where I was fiddling with the headlamps). 

• Like 1

Hey Bushman, I just perused the thread, great info so far! Looking to do LED headlights on my 987.1, I think I found the ones you used but I was hoping you could verify them for me in the links below. With the long delivery times and dealing with China, I definitely want to get this right the first time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nighteye-2X-72W-9000LM-H7-LED-Headlight-Car-Conversion-Bulb-White-Beam-6500K-KIT-/332465871196?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LED-9006-H4-H11-H1-H7-9005-DRL-Headlight-Hi-Low-Beam-200W-Conversion-Bulb-Kit/273062878881?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D561ec168854b45eabf61059c556c9190%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D272979535082%26itm%3D273062878881&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Thanks in advance!

Tom 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 10:29, FLAT STICK said:

Hi All,

Have changed the H/L beam and fogs all for modern white with input from this thread but cant find any side lights anyone got brilliant white side lights and a link to them

Thanks Dean

These are the ones I used, FLAT STICK ... Work perfectly & match the colour output of the other LED bulbs :1_grinning:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282043027642

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

These are the ones I used, FLAT STICK ... Work perfectly & match the colour output of the other LED bulbs :1_grinning:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282043027642

Thanks,

My LEDs low beam are great and bright but side lights just look old now. I will order some hope they look bright like the low beam.

Dean

On 12/02/2018 at 23:43, Tony Eyles said:

Thanks BM - I might as well try them now I’ve got them and will report back once they’re fitted!

Well the feedback is generally good.

I replaced the main beam, dipped and fog lamps with the LED Nightlights and the difference is amazing. The only issue is the main beams trigger a fault on the dash, so I have ordered another set of CanBus compatible lamps which I’ll trial next week.

All in all a relatively cheap and effective upgrade which won’t fall foul of the HID MOT failures due next year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2018 at 11:24, Tony Eyles said:

Well the feedback is generally good.

I replaced the main beam, dipped and fog lamps with the LED Nightlights and the difference is amazing. The only issue is the main beams trigger a fault on the dash, so I have ordered another set of CanBus compatible lamps which I’ll trial next week.

All in all a relatively cheap and effective upgrade which won’t fall foul of the HID MOT failures due next year.

I recently fitted H7 LEDs, (Nighteye 2X 72W 9000LM H7), replacement dipped headlights in my 981 - a substantial improvement, especially when faced with bright oncoming lights.  No error messages.  The only minor problem was that the Nighteyes did not show polarity.  A simple swap around fixed that. 

I am not sure about fitting LEDs on the main beams.  Am I right to assume you had no error messages other than with the main beam LEDs?  I wonder if Canbus anti flicker resistor decoder cancellers would have done the trick?  Which LED lamps would be needed to avoid errors?

• 1 month later...

Sorry only just seen this!

Yes it was only the main beams that triggered the Canbus error. I have now tried several solutions, all of which triggered the fault, however the dipped beams are so good that the mains are largely redundant so I have gone back to normal halogen lamps for the mains albeit 130% Philips things.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello all! (Bushman and tony in particular here 😄).

I have just got some H8 bulbs to go replace the full beams on my 987.2. I also got a canbus resistor kit to I shouldn't get any dash warnings. (these ones fyi:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-9005-9006-H1-H4-H7-H11-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Bulb-6500K-White-72W/253990204727?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=553316411357&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 )

However, before I even get to that I can't figure out how to get these bulbs in! They are huge compared to the stock ones, I can't seem to find the room to wiggle them into their housing (blue arrow in the pic). 

I'm also not sure where to put the canbus resistors, which are quite bulky. I think they need to go inside the light housing really, else moisture will get in where the wires exit the light housing. I was wondering if there might be space behind the small panel (orange arrow), but haven't got any security torx bits handy to remove this.

Any pointers are much appreciated!

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-23 at 11.18.36.jpeg

Edited by Joe Spicer

4 hours ago, Joe Spicer said:

Hello all! (Bushman and tony in particular here 😄).

I have just got some H8 bulbs to go replace the full beams on my 987.2. I also got a canbus resistor kit to I shouldn't get any dash warnings. (these ones fyi:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-9005-9006-H1-H4-H7-H11-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Bulb-6500K-White-72W/253990204727?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=553316411357&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 )

However, before I even get to that I can't figure out how to get these bulbs in! They are huge compared to the stock ones, I can't seem to find the room to wiggle them into their housing (blue arrow in the pic). 

I'm also not sure where to put the canbus resistors, which are quite bulky. I think they need to go inside the light housing really, else moisture will get in where the wires exit the light housing. I was wondering if there might be space behind the small panel (orange arrow), but haven't got any security torx bits handy to remove this.

Any pointers are much appreciated!

I think you need to remove the rubber (blue) bit. They're a kit that connect to several different bulb types, and you need to see the three prongs that fit in to the hole the previous one came out of.

EDIT: Just saw you didn't remove the back of the light unit either, I don't know if this is a 987.2 thing, but on the 987.1 doing it from the back is so much easier.

Edited by mike3105
Correction

I used bulbs with flexible heatsinks so not sure on this one.  I also didn't use resistors; have had mine in for just shy of 3 years with no issues.

It doesn't look like that is going to fit as it will foul the harness?

Thanks guys. It's more the overall length of the LED and heatsink which is the issue, it's too long so I can't wiggle the LED prong part into the actual reflector housing, as the heatsink just catches on the outer housing of the light. It's good to know that the blue part might be removable, but I don't think it will help in this case.

I did try from the back first, but the dipped beam takes up most of the space in there, so you can't reach the full-beam bulbs from the back (I guess why they put this little circular door in the side! 😁Perhaps the position of the bulbs is different from the .1 to the .2, but on mine (2.9 .2) the full-beam and indicators are right at the front/bottom of the headlight unit with the dipped beam right at the back/top, which blocks the entry to accessing the full beam.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get the right security torx bit and remove the rectangular panel on the side (with the orange arrow) to see if I can get the bulb in from that angle.

Edited by Joe Spicer

I’ve just purchased the following and will let everyone know how I get on when they turn up.

Side lights - 2x H6W 434 Bax9s Canbus LED Parking Side Indicator Light Bulb Bayonet Bulb White

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273324069557

Fog lights  - NIGHTEYE H11/H8/H9 LED Fog Light Daytime Bulbs Lamp Replace Halogen HID 160W

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183237161195

Dipped beam - Nighteye 72W 9000LM H7 LED Canbus error free Car Headlight KIT 6500K Bulbs White

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303073813123?ul_noapp=true

High beam - Nighteye H11 9000LM 6500K LED Headlight Driving Fog Light Replacement Bulbs Kit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152835370507

• Like 1