Tyres

M4tty1

Hi everyone, the time has come to replace the rear tyres of my 987 Cayman S. it has continentals on currently and I’m wondering what people would advice as a good tyre upgrade. (Also any places online for a good deal would be appreciated) 

Thanks matt 

Depends on size and whether you want the Porsche recommended N rating ?

Regards where to purchase, I go with those that I know will fit the tyres without damaging them / the rims.

A few online suppliers ... Oponeo / Mytyres / Blackcircles / Tyreleader 

From experience of Michelin PS2, Pirelli PZero and Michelin PS4S ... I would recommend the PS4S, available in a minimum of 19" though ... https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

If 18" ... consider the Micheln PS4, I run them on a non Porsche and find them excellent https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4

• Like 1

As above, but... also need to consider if you plan to do any track days?

I'm running the Yokohama AD08R now after replacing my Mich Pilot super sports ... Muuuch better grip than ANY road biased tyre I've used & is also decent in the wet for a crossover tyre... Depends on whether you believe all this N rating talk?

Edited by Mavrik

Goodyear Eagle F1 if you want a good all around tyre

Pilot Sport 4/4S if you want better than the Eagle F1 and are fine with paying the extra premium

AD08R if you're going to track it but not drive in the wet (damp is OK, but I wouldn't dare drive in a torrential downpour).

N rating is a load of tosh, in my opinion.  The original 987 N rated tyres have been superseded by more modern compounds and tyres available today (the Pilot Sport 4S, as an example).

30 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

I've found the Yoko's as good as the Mich's in the wet tbh... Just sayin'

That's the opposite of my experience... I found that the 4S is pretty decent in the wet and that the AD08R is awful.

Maybe we have more rain in Wales. ;)

18 hours ago, Bushman said:

I run P Zeros on the road and they are good, I went for a 91y carcass over an 87y as its a bit stiffer on the sidewall

Have you had the car on anything else and do you use it when it is wet or cold?

My experience of P Zeros on a number of Porsches is that they are dreadful in anything that isn't dry and warm conditions.  They are beaten by Michelins in all weathers. 

I have Pilot Super Sports on my Cayman at the moment - would have had PS4S but for a supply issu. Super Sports are epic in the dry but not amazing in the wet.  When it is cold it take a bit of effort to get them hot enough to work well, but it can be done - yesterday I went for a blast in cold (1 - 3 degrees) damp conditions and the tyres stuck when I got them heated up.  They were 'lively' before that.  

My OH has a 4WD 911 on P Zeros and it is terrifying this time of year.  We have a set of winter wheels and tyres coming for it.

23 hours ago, Aaron said:

That's the opposite of my experience... I found that the 4S is pretty decent in the wet and that the AD08R is awful.

Maybe we have more rain in Wales. ;)

Certainly wetter rain...

😉

• Haha 1

I have Pilot Super Sports on my Cayman S...  I'm onto my 2nd lot now..  ive done numerous track days including the Nurburgring 2 years in a row, and the Michelin's were absolutely faultless.

I also travel to Lowestoft once a fortnight and so drive in all weathers / 365 days of the year..

Definatly a thumbs up for me on the Michelins.

also ignore the N rating.. you'll also save some money.

I often take it to 150 plus with no problems..

Edited by Gazwaz
  • Like 1

Interesting reading what tyres others are using. I think I will need a new set next year at somepoint. Just had N Rated Bridgestones on mine since I got my car and they have seemed ok so far to me but I don't do track days in my car. Not sure what I'd end up going for when the time comes.

On 13/12/2018 at 09:06, Gazwaz said:

I have Pilot Super Sports on my Cayman S...  I'm onto my 2nd lot now..  ive done numerous track days including the Nurburgring 2 years in a row, and the Michelin's were absolutely faultless.

I also travel to Lowestoft once a fortnight and so drive in all weathers / 365 days of the year..

Definatly a thumbs up for me on the Michelins.

also ignore the N rating.. you'll also save some money.

I often take it to 150 plus with no problems..

Another for  SS's...I' have them on the rear....interestingly I have PS4 's on the front (18" rims so no PS4S for me, I did go for XL though)....have found them to be great on road and more than competent on the track as well

I have super sports on my R. I don’t really get them... a PS4/4S is much better on the road and a Cup2 is better on track. 

Mine will I’ll be going on Cup2s come spring.