GT4 Catastrophic Failure

Response posted today. Porsche said it was damage from a pothole so not covering. 5.4k repair to the owner.

Personally I think it's shocking from Porsche, because it's far from an isolated case. 981/991 cars only but it's affecting mainly GT4/3 from the examples online. Google Porsche strut tower failure and prepare to be shocked.

7 hours ago, Porsched eggs said:

Response posted today. Porsche said it was damage from a pothole so not covering. 5.4k repair to the owner.

Personally I think it's shocking from Porsche, because it's far from an isolated case. 981/991 cars only but it's affecting mainly GT4/3 from the examples online. Google Porsche strut tower failure and prepare to be shocked.

I was shocked too, then I looked back at his other videos. Skip to 12:50

Based on the videos I have no sympathy for the guy. I feel sorry for the next owner of any of his cars if that’s how he treats them. 5k is cheaper than I expected for that repair

3 hours ago, Beanoir said:

What a tit! 

His front tyres looked pretty shagged too on that video

Given how hard he goes in and how much impact the front right has, it hardly surprising it took suspension damage.

He said in the post spin chat that it was juddering after and he might have bent something.

im sure porsche lawyers would have a field day with that (though I still think it's a bit rubbish that the tower fails before say the strut or hub etc

• Founder

Worth watching the next video which is an update on it at Porsche.  Basically Porsche said, you hit a massive pot hole, not our fault, we’ll fix it if you pay us £5.5k 

seems fair 

On 28/02/2019 at 00:04, Porsched eggs said:

The response doesn't surprise me at all from Porsche. I put mu 987 S in for a satnav update and after driving for 20 minutes it died meaning according to Porsche that I had to buy a new Satnav, phone, radio system. I ended up paying around 25% of the original price at Wolverhampton OPC but should not have had to pay anything. People should be made aware that your on your own if if anything goes wrong.

6 hours ago, Keith W said:

The response doesn't surprise me at all from Porsche. I put mu 987 S in for a satnav update and after driving for 20 minutes it died meaning according to Porsche that I had to buy a new Satnav, phone, radio system. I ended up paying around 25% of the original price at Wolverhampton OPC but should not have had to pay anything. People should be made aware that your on your own if if anything goes wrong.

I think Porsche have treated you badly there.

My point on the strut tower failure is that the guy has been driving his car with no regard for its health, and has even posted it on the internet. Then when it brakes he blames it on Porsche, the guy is a ******* moron.

14 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I think Porsche have treated you badly there.

My point on the strut tower failure is that the guy has been driving his car with no regard for its health, and has even posted it on the internet. Then when it brakes he blames it on Porsche, the guy is a ******* moron.

Yes I have seen more videos on this and see he has not treated the car well, I still think the turret failure should not happen to so many cars. I have driven all sorts of cars for over 40 years and never had a turret failure (suspension failure yes) and i,m talking cars I have bought for £10-£30 in my younger days. I hit a deep pothole at 70ish in my Mondeo on the M11 and no damage (Ford Mondeo is better build quality than Porsche granted and done over 250000 miles) so bottom line beef up the failing part.

1 hour ago, Keith W said:

Yes I have seen more videos on this and see he has not treated the car well, I still think the turret failure should not happen to so many cars. I have driven all sorts of cars for over 40 years and never had a turret failure (suspension failure yes) and i,m talking cars I have bought for £10-£30 in my younger days. I hit a deep pothole at 70ish in my Mondeo on the M11 and no damage (Ford Mondeo is better build quality than Porsche granted and done over 250000 miles) so bottom line beef up the failing part.

I bet you never got the Mondeo airbourne and sideways in a gravel trap though...😀

• Haha 1

On 08/03/2019 at 13:02, Dougle_turbo said:

I bet you never got the Mondeo airbourne and sideways in a gravel trap though...😀

No, can't say I did. Seeing more vids of this guy he seems a bit of a plonker and clueless on mechanical sympathy. Maybe all of the other failures GT4 and GT3 are relations of his ...

The guy is a tool, plain & simple...

However, the strut tower/mount is clearly a design fault & I'd wager its inherent on ALL Cayman's as I've seen lots of anecdotal evidence of failing shocks & top mounts needing to be replaced way sooner than one would expect!

My S1 had new shocks & top mounts at around 40k (previous owner)

• 5 months later...

I agree the guy is a bit of an idiot but that spin on track is nothing out of the ordinary. The car should easily withstand that and if something breaks it's certainly not the strut tower that should let go. A suspension arm, bushing, toe arm, cracked wheel etc etc. is all far more realistic.

This is a known failure on the GT4 and is definitely not normal for ANY road car even if you drive it like a twat.

11 hours ago, Spykee said:

I agree the guy is a bit of an idiot but that spin on track is nothing out of the ordinary. The car should easily withstand that and if something breaks it's certainly not the strut tower that should let go. A suspension arm, bushing, toe arm, cracked wheel etc etc. is all far more realistic.

This is a known failure on the GT4 and is definitely not normal for ANY road car even if you drive it like a twat.

I disagree, that's a big impact. Airbourne in a gravel trap and the front right digs in hard, definitely not a run of the mill track spin.

If he's hit the bump stop on the suspension travel then yes, that is an area in which you might cause damage.

It's not that I'm disagreeing the strut area is a known weak link, but I would expect some major damage from that sort of off.