sevenfourates 987.1 Meteor Grey Cayman.........

sevenfourate

25 minutes ago, Edmundo2 said:

Yes will be interested to hear how you go on. Still waiting for mine which I ordered on Amazon about 6bweeks ago..🙄

Oh wow.....really !

How much was it on Amazon for ?

I got mine on amazon last year. It took a while to arrive, first of all being emailed that it was out of stock. But it was the right part when it did eventually turn up. 

so glad I had it fitted, much firmer pedal feel and higher initial bite point, but without loss of brake pedal feel and progressiveness (ie, hasn’t become ‘wooden’ or ‘over-servo’d’ feeling. 🤔

• Like 1

Thought I had some Motul RBF660 in stock - but need to order for master cylinder fitting / brake bleed.

How much do I need if we’re able to cycle ABS pump via software ? And how much is needed if we can’t and have to do manually and effectively bleed brakes twice.....

Cheers.

Edited by sevenfourate

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

Thought I had some Motul RBF660 in stock - but need to order for master cylinder fitting / brake bleed.

How much do I need if we’re able to cycle ABS pump via software ? And how much is needed if we can’t and have to do manually and effectively bleed brakes twice.....

Cheers.

Can't remember the quantity but keep in mind it's advised to bleed the clutch too.  I think I bought 4X 0.5litre bottles of RBF660. But I'm not too sure.....

@sevenfourate

I posted on the FB page about the GT3 MC.

"For a refill/straight bleed using a pressure bleeder & PIWIS to cycle the ABS pump 1L will be sufficient (the S only has a 0.39L capacity) but 2L will be plenty if you do it "manually" ... By "opening" the braking system "before" the ABS pump & having to swap over the reservoir etc you'll have more potential for air in the lines/pump... When I first fitted my GT3 MC I refilled/bled with fairly cheap DOT 5.1 but bled "manually" to cycle the ABS pump then rebled... It's now got top spec Castrol SRF React Racing in it... I also fitted Goodridge SPR1000-4P SS braided hoses (seems false economy imo to bother fitting a GT3 MC without upgrading the lines!?)"

"RBF660 has a lower wet boiling point than the 600 ;-) ... The wet boiling point is the significant spec to consider..."

"If you decide to upgrade your lines to SS I have a word of caution! ... You'll prob have a ball-ache removing the caliper to flexi hose flare nuts (they corrode like a mofo!!!) ... I ended up having to make my own hardlines with Kunifer pipe & DIN metric flare tool & m10x1 metric male nuts 🙃 ... Top tip is to use a dab of silicone grease on the thread fittings to guard against galvanic corrosion..."

Good luck, Julian...

Brake Fluid Chart.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 10:12, Edmundo2 said:

£85. Cheap if it ever gets here and proves to be the right part....

---------------------------------------

The prices have come down dramatically over the last 2 yrs... I gather there was supply chain issues over in Germany (TRW who bought out Lucas in '99 are the oem supplier to Porsche) & the price rocketed... If you look around £85 is the norm now...

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

The prices have come down dramatically over the last 2 yrs... I gather there was supply chain issues over in Germany (TRW who bought out Lucas in '99 are the oem supplier to Porsche) & the price rocketed... If you look around £85 is the norm now...

£85 is about right perhaps....

I paid just under £100 delivered. Then again mine is here and in my hand 😎

***Reminds me of the "Only £10 for a Yellow door for a Ferrari" from a breakers quip........."But we have none in stock right now" 🤣

7 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@sevenfourate

I posted on the FB page about the GT3 MC.

"For a refill/straight bleed using a pressure bleeder & PIWIS to cycle the ABS pump 1L will be sufficient (the S only has a 0.39L capacity) but 2L will be plenty if you do it "manually" ... By "opening" the braking system "before" the ABS pump & having to swap over the reservoir etc you'll have more potential for air in the lines/pump... When I first fitted my GT3 MC I refilled/bled with fairly cheap DOT 5.1 but bled "manually" to cycle the ABS pump then rebled... It's now got top spec Castrol SRF React Racing in it... I also fitted Goodridge SPR1000-4P SS braided hoses (seems false economy imo to bother fitting a GT3 MC without upgrading the lines!?)"

"RBF660 has a lower wet boiling point than the 600 ;-) ... The wet boiling point is the significant spec to consider..."

"If you decide to upgrade your lines to SS I have a word of caution! ... You'll prob have a ball-ache removing the caliper to flexi hose flare nuts (they corrode like a mofo!!!) ... I ended up having to make my own hardlines with Kunifer pipe & DIN metric flare tool & m10x1 metric male nuts 🙃 ... Top tip is to use a dab of silicone grease on the thread fittings to guard against galvanic corrosion..."

Good luck, Julian...

Brake Fluid Chart.jpg

Thankyou for the continued 'support' buddy ! MUCH appreciated.......

😎

• Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 16:36, sevenfourate said:

Thankyou for the continued 'support' buddy ! MUCH appreciated.......

😎

Have you had it fitted yet fella? 

• Like 1

@sevenfourate

Forgot to say that when installing the new master it saves a bit of time by bench bleeding it first otherwise it's a ball ache getting the actual master bled! ... Top tip if you don't bench bleed is to "pump up" the master (you'll get a lot of foamy bubbles!) 

Let it settle, then depress the pedal fully & wedge it to the floor, then bleed keeping the pedal fully down 😉 

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

Have you had it fitted yet fella? 

2 litres of Motul's finest fluid; and new master cylinder currently with my mechanic. Oh....and the car 🤣

Having a couple of 'other' bits done too. So may not be able to report back immediately !

Cheers for bleeding tips. My mans a genius. And i know he's just fitted an uprated version to his own M5. I'm sure and i hope he's got it covered. I'll pass on anway. Forewarned is forearmed amd all that.........👌👍

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Budflicker said:

Wow, what a thread and what attention to detail the OP has.

Brilliant and a lovely Cayman.

Thankyou very much.

Anal and impatient isn’t a great combo to have to live with at times I assure you !

Mechanically, paint-wise and for all consumable items she’s now 1000%. And compared to others of the same age drives very very well. And I don’t say that lightly. I really now feel a year on it’s the car I always imagined and aimed for. 

Maybe a few subtle exterior mods to give it a little more ‘road presence’ next.....(?) Spoiler painted to contrast, some sort of front lip etc.....maybe even lowering springs [***Shock Horror***].

For now though this weekend is about hearing my little baby sing it’s way around the Rev counter a few times.

Have a great weekend folks...

• Like 1

What a fab weekend; getting a few miles in - and in way better (dry) weather than was forecast......

Brakes - with GT3 Master-cylinder are a bit of a revelation. Going a little hot into a corner doesn't quite carry the same fear and white-knuckles it once did !

*Brakes have squeaked a couple of times pulling away. Mechanic said all calipers were free when he pushed pistons back to do brake bleeding / Master-cylinder etc - and the handbrake now feels very loose initially. So i'm presuming its likely handbrake cables binding up / related.; especially as it was adjusted not long back.

Genuine cables £102 a side. Design911 sells 'ABS brand' cables for £30 odd each side + £10 postage. And i presume these are reputable quality as being sold by them. So a scour around the net got me two of these for £52.00 delivered. I figure for so little money i may as well get the likely 13 year old cables replaced while in there adjusting / investigating.........

I previously noticed (And got reminded again at the weekend) that the rubber seals on the roof gutter trim are a bit tatty: and nicked in a couple of places on the thin outer visible portions. 

And the renewing of these involves quite possibly the most pi55-taking Porsche tax i've encountered so far.  I didn't get a price from my OPC; but 911Design for example want £333 PER SIDE ! Lets just say i've found a brand new genuine pair considerably cheaper.......

mOcBn79l.jpg

73TMzCTl.jpg

Other than having fun driving at the weekend - i did spend 4 or 5 hours early Sunday getting rid of dust / debris inside from the recent bodywork's along with cleaning and protecting the leather again: (Gyeon Leather Protect for the final coat - which so far in my daily - seems far superior to the Gtechniq Leather Guard i'd previously been using.....)

QIs5p85l.jpg

Anyone recommend some tasteful mods to make an elderly 987 look a little more 'menacing' from the front ? LED bars, subtle 'splitter / lip', adding the 3rd radiator even. Anything to sharpen / modernise the 'soft' look a little.....

Looking good.

You'll have to let us know how the roof trims come off.

When I unclipped the black plastic trim by the tailgate hinges I think the roof trims had screws holding them on.

On 17/08/2020 at 21:27, sevenfourate said:

I previously noticed (And got reminded again at the weekend) that the rubber seals on the roof gutter trim are a bit tatty: and nicked in a couple of places on the thin outer visible portions. 

And the renewing of these involves quite possibly the most pi55-taking Porsche tax i've encountered so far.  I didn't get a price from my OPC; but 911Design for example want £333 PER SIDE ! Lets just say i've found a brand new genuine pair considerably cheaper.......

mOcBn79l.jpg

73TMzCTl.jpg

Other than having fun driving at the weekend - i did spend 4 or 5 hours early Sunday getting rid of dust / debris inside from the recent bodywork's along with cleaning and protecting the leather again: (Gyeon Leather Protect for the final coat - which so far in my daily - seems far superior to the Gtechniq Leather Guard i'd previously been using.....)

QIs5p85l.jpg

Anyone recommend some tasteful mods to make an elderly 987 look a little more 'menacing' from the front ? LED bars, subtle 'splitter / lip', adding the 3rd radiator even. Anything to sharpen / modernise the 'soft' look a little.....

Nice car...

I've received my GT3 m/c so look forward to getting it fitted in due course..

Ref the front end it's something I've been tempted with also. Nothing to aggressive but enough to give it an edge.

My plan is possibly 996 GT splitter or poss just lip, stick on number plate, zunsport grilles, poss Amber side lights...Not sure but tempted.. 

Look forward to seeing results if you do try some changes..